Transmission trashed during flat towing.

boatdrinks31

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I wonder if anyone had this problem. We were flat towing our 2019 Ranger 4x4 Lariat with 3600 miles on the odometer. We purchased this so we could flat tow behind our motorhome. We had traveled about 4000 miles in the RV from our residence near Ft. Myers, Fl. We performed the prescribed computer entries to engage the flat tow and out of tow mode many times without any problems. BUT in Clayton, GA when we were uncoupling the Ranger it would not engage into drive mode. Luckily there was a Ford dealer about a mile away and they sent a wrecker.

They determined that there was lots of metal in the transmission pan. They queried us as to our towing procedures and they were satisfied we were towing correctly as we used a copy of the owners manual as a checklist to tow and untow. The service manager said the tranny was history an he would have to find a new one somewhere. We could not stay there longer than five days and departed for home w/o the Ranger. The service mgr said he found one in Utah but the dealer had promised it to a customer. His only choice was to get one shipped from the factory. He kept me up on his progress and about two weeks later he installed a new tranny. Ford area service said they would ship the car to the nearby dealer from which I purchased it. All in all it was about a month until we got the Ranger back. Everyone with Ford were very accommodating. The only hitch neither the service mgr and the area Ford agent could tell us what went wrong with the tranny. The service mgr suggested it was a screw-up in the computer. We really like our Ranger but worry about what went wrong. My buddy who was a new car mgr told me the tranny would be shipped back to the factory to determine what went wrong for such a new model.

I have only read in this forum about one transmission problem but nothing like mine.
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I wonder if anyone had this problem.......
I wonder if there is a way to physically verify that the "tow procedure" in fact worked? Such as placing a floor jack under the rear axle and spinning both rear wheels simultaneously to see if they are in deed free wheeling?

Trusting the computer seems scary as hell, which you have proven.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if anyone had this problem. We were flat towing our 2019 Ranger 4x4 Lariat with 3600 miles on the odometer. We purchased this so we could flat tow behind our motorhome. We had traveled about 4000 miles in the RV from our residence near Ft. Myers, Fl. We performed the prescribed computer entries to engage the flat tow and out of tow mode many times without any problems. BUT in Clayton, GA when we were uncoupling the Ranger it would not engage into drive mode. Luckily there was a Ford dealer about a mile away and they sent a wrecker.

They determined that there was lots of metal in the transmission pan. They queried us as to our towing procedures and they were satisfied we were towing correctly as we used a copy of the owners manual as a checklist to tow and untow. The service manager said the tranny was history an he would have to find a new one somewhere. We could not stay there longer than five days and departed for home w/o the Ranger. The service mgr said he found one in Utah but the dealer had promised it to a customer. His only choice was to get one shipped from the factory. He kept me up on his progress and about two weeks later he installed a new tranny. Ford area service said they would ship the car to the nearby dealer from which I purchased it. All in all it was about a month until we got the Ranger back. Everyone with Ford were very accommodating. The only hitch neither the service mgr and the area Ford agent could tell us what went wrong with the tranny. The service mgr suggested it was a screw-up in the computer. We really like our Ranger but worry about what went wrong. My buddy who was a new car mgr told me the tranny would be shipped back to the factory to determine what went wrong for such a new model.

I have only read in this forum about one transmission problem but nothing like mine.

Hi Sandy,

I have about 2000 miles flat towing behind the motorhome without any diffficulties. I can only guess the transfer case did not actually shift into neutral. I am assuming you had the gear selector in the trans in neutral as well, correct? The way I hook up, I allow the vehicle to roll forward to ensure the T/C shifted into neutral with the gear lever in park...that tells me the shift was completed. Then move the selector lever into neutral.

Sorry to here this happened to you! It has always been a worry of mine that the software might hiccup...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
boatdrinks31

boatdrinks31

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I wonder if there is a way to physically verify that the "tow procedure" in fact worked? Such as placing a floor jack under the rear axle and spinning both rear wheels simultaneously to see if they are in deed free wheeling?

Trusting the computer seems scary as hell, which you have proven.
Our every time procedure is for wifey to stand outside as I begin to roll. She watches to make sure to wheels appear to be free wheeling and to see that as I turn a bit to watch the steering and tires turn. Also to see that the tow bar locks. Before we tow again, I set it for tow and see it roll down our slanted driveway as if in neutral but in tow free wheeling.

OP
OP
boatdrinks31

boatdrinks31

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Hi Sandy,

I have about 2000 miles flat towing behind the motorhome without any diffficulties. I can only guess the transfer case did not actually shift into neutral. I am assuming you had the gear selector in the trans in neutral as well, correct? The way I hook up, I allow the vehicle to roll forward to ensure the T/C shifted into neutral with the gear lever in park...that tells me the shift was completed. Then move the selector lever into neutral.

Sorry to here this happened to you! It has always been a worry of mine that the software might hiccup...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Yeah, I'm sure we had it correctly set up. I'm pretty anal about that stuff. We do a "take-off" flight check from the Ranger manual page. This my fourth tow set up. I even do a walk around at rest stops, etc.This stuff is too expensive to screw it up.I know if man made it, it can break. This my 5th or 6th Ford. I broke off and had two Tahoes that I hated for many reasons. Prior to my new Ranger, I had a 2016 F150 and the only problem I had was with the radio. You must have done something right at Ford.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
If you put the trans in park, and are still able to roll the truck, then you did it right. I believe the trans goes into park, and the key (if applicable) comes out.

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302a, Trailer Tow, Technology Package, FX4 in black and a 2017 Fusion Platinum also in black
Occupation
You would not believe it if I told you
If you put the trans in park, and are still able to roll the truck, then you did it right. I believe the trans goes into park, and the key (if applicable) comes out.
That isn't the procedure in the manual for keyed versions. It states to leave it in N and turn the key as far off as it can go, then use a second set of keys or the key pad to lock it up.

On the push button version is says to do the stuff and push the button to turn it off. I am not sure, but on electronically shifted transmissions I think when you push that button it goes into P by itself...not really sure.

This is rather troubling as I bought this truck with the intent on towing it behind the RV...so, I need to watch this space.

newmantjn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer
On the push button version is says to do the stuff and push the button to turn it off. I am not sure, but on electronically shifted transmissions I think when you push that button it goes into P by itself...not really sure.
The Ranger is a shift by cable - traditional connection - between the PRNDL lever and the transmission. Shift by wire can be implemented in several ways and is application specific. For instance, the push buttons on a Continental actuate a device external to the transmission that shifts the transmission in and out of gear. The push buttons on a Lincoln Aviator actuate electronics internal to the transmission. You can turn a Mustang off without the transmission being in park and it will not go to park, since it is a direct mechanical connection, like a Ranger. If you you do that in an Aviator, new Explorer or Expedition, it will return to park by itself.

TomD

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4Ă—4

TomD

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4Ă—4
I have just had the same problem with my 2019 Ranger. The vehicle has 3000 miles on the odometer. I ALSO USE A COPY OF THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE MANUAL. I am working with Ford customer service. The dealer I went to thinks it is my fault, but I'm sure it is not. I followed the procedures in the manual. I will continue to work with Ford to resolve this.

Jmckinley

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C Max, 2019 Ranger XLT SuperCab, Kawasaki VX 300, Mazda Miata, Damon Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have just had the same problem with my 2019 Ranger. The vehicle has 3000 miles on the odometer. I ALSO USE A COPY OF THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE MANUAL. I am working with Ford customer service. The dealer I went to thinks it is my fault, but I'm sure it is not. I followed the procedures in the manual. I will continue to work with Ford to resolve this.
On another forum, I read of a couple of F150 guys who believe their trashed transmissions were the result of the transfer case dropping out of neutral when the battery ran down while truck was being towed. Lots of vehicles drain the battery for all sorts of reasons while being towed. Electric power steering, brake vacuum pumps and auxiliary braking systems all contribute to battery drain. In my opinion, every towed vehicle should have a charge line from the motorhome to keep the battery charged. I know my C Max won’t last four hours without a charge line.

Has anyone performed the experiment to see if the transfer case switches back to 4x2 when the battery dies? I’m pretty sure I’ll be trying it soon before I start towing this thing.

J&B Baulne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired

We also flat tow a 2019 Ford Ranger and we just loved it until the exact same thing happen to us. Lots of metal in the pan and the tranny is history. We also use the owners manual as a checklist to tow and untow, we know that we followed step by step instruction exactly as the manual instructs. Wehave towed for years and know the importance of following directions. We had towed this pickup several hundred miles with NO issues but thus far they are NOT satisfied that we were towing correctly. At this time we are having to pay for a new transmission and we are also very concerned about repairing and having this happen again!! This truck only has 3,152 miles but what caused this is still a mystery. VERY CONCERNED

Rmblaster

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Did you have a charge line set up so battery doesnt go dead

Richard

Jmckinley

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C Max, 2019 Ranger XLT SuperCab, Kawasaki VX 300, Mazda Miata, Damon Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Engineer
So, now three dead transmissions on this forum. In each case Ford is Denying responsibility.

Not feeling really good about towing my Ranger next week for the first time. There’s really no conclusive way to prove you followed the flat tow procedure so Ford will blame the owner every time. The same thing is happening to F150 owners too and they’re getting the same treatment.

I’m still guessing it’s a dead battery issue so my rig is definitely equipped with a charge line from the motorhome. My guess is when the battery dies (because the key is not turned all the way off per their procedure) the transfer case can drop out of neutral. The Owner’s Manual specifically cautions against disconnecting the battery when flat towing because “It prevents the transfer case from shifting properly”. Apparently Ford thinks the transfer case needs constant power or something bad will happen.

So, my plan is to not let the battery run down, even a little.

pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 2019
So an obvious question for those with the blown transmission and all of us wondering about the need for a charge wire, did the truck start when you disconnected and tried to shift the transmission out of tow mode? Or, was the battery dead?
Sponsored