First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
Did the Forscan ABS Service Bleed procedure today as described above. It solved the mushy brakes and creeping at the stop light scenarios. I can recommend it 100%.
Sponsored

DrPep

First Name
Pepijn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST, VW Golf, Ranger, Indian Scout, Beta RRS
Occupation
Research
After getting used to the Ranger brakes and shocking my family a few times when I switched to my wife's car, I decided to try this as well on my '21 XLT Tremor. Like others have said, it makes a huge difference. Info like this is exactly what's great about the forum!

Hirnlego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 302A
I went into Forscan today to check something and noticed this error code U0418. Has anyone else seen this after doing this "Mushy Brake" fix? I did perform this a few months ago and did clear the error codes after the procedure. This one must of showed up since that reset of the module

Google search indicated this is a mismatch of data related to the Braking Module.

Make: Ford Code: U0418
Definition: Invalid Data Received From Brake System Control Module
Description: This DTC sets when network DTC concerns occur during module to module communication.
Cause:
  • Invalid data network concerns - data is transferred within the normal inter-module message, but contains known invalid data. The transmitting module logs a DTC related to the invalid data concern.
  • Missing message network concerns - missing message concerns are logged by the module upon failure to receive a message from another module within a defined retry period.
Diagnosis: Check for other PCM DTCs or PCM related symptoms. Diagnose all other PCM DTCs or PCM related symptoms first. Check for other anti-lock brake system (ABS) control module DTCs or ABS control module related symptoms. Diagnose all other ABS control module DTCs or ABS control module related symptoms first.

LINK TO DTC CODE

108904-1519593413a8f175ba401dc8d589f144.jpg

cactuss4

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
I went into Forscan today to check something and noticed this error code U0418. Has anyone else seen this after doing this "Mushy Brake" fix? I did perform this a few months ago and did clear the error codes after the procedure. This one must of showed up since that reset of the module

Google search indicated this is a mismatch of data related to the Braking Module.

Make: Ford Code: U0418
Definition: Invalid Data Received From Brake System Control Module
Description: This DTC sets when network DTC concerns occur during module to module communication.
Cause:
  • Invalid data network concerns - data is transferred within the normal inter-module message, but contains known invalid data. The transmitting module logs a DTC related to the invalid data concern.
  • Missing message network concerns - missing message concerns are logged by the module upon failure to receive a message from another module within a defined retry period.
Diagnosis: Check for other PCM DTCs or PCM related symptoms. Diagnose all other PCM DTCs or PCM related symptoms first. Check for other anti-lock brake system (ABS) control module DTCs or ABS control module related symptoms. Diagnose all other ABS control module DTCs or ABS control module related symptoms first.

LINK TO DTC CODE

108904-1519593413a8f175ba401dc8d589f144.jpg
Mine threw an ABS unit code for over temp and this code. Cleared DTCs and drove around a little and it is still there.
Edit: I needed to RTFM "If you have any DTC's after, do this: ABS Reset". I listened to the video and didn't watch to the end.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

First Name
Clement
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Baller
so, this does it by manual user input.
what other ways might the truck do this on its own?

perhaps a real life instance where ABS required?
perhaps during the precharging of the brakes during an Emergency brake activation with the pre collision assist?

I only wonder because I have ran my truck through both of those scenarios early on, and have never had a complaint about my brakes

just a thought to ponder.
I’m going to Try this because my brakes always felt mushy

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
OK, I just ordered it and will be here tomorrow Amazon Prime. Sending the other one back.
Thank you both!
Paval, did the new box solve your issue? Mine is the same with limited options.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
Yes, when I used the other one all worked, no limitations.
Thanks. I figured out my issue without changing the OBDII box. I've used the box before and had an older configuration loaded which initially I accepted. In order for all modules to be read I had to NOT load the old config and start a new one. Once I did that it prompted me through a HS to MS switch change ( to read all the modules) and then was able to perform the ABS bleed function.

One other note: I originally had the ODB box on a surface pro (5) with USB ports. Today I started on my newer Pro 8 with thunderbolt ports and a thunderbolt adapter with USB 3 ports. NADA. It did not work. Discovered by looking at device manager and USB ports and found it seeking a USB 2 device with error. Rather than troubleshoot the issue I just pulled out the the older PC and connected up.

kskr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Talked to my service writer today 5 Oct, about completing this and was told Ford has put out a SB with their "procedure" to evaluate and correct... Hoping she is wiling to try this fix should that one not gain the desired results...
Did you have the SB completed on your truck? If you did, was the mushy brake pedal fixed?
Thanks

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Took less than 5 minutes and it made a difference for sure. It doesn't feel like it has sports car brakes now, but they feel "right". Initial bite is much higher than it was, doesn't get as close to the floor as it did, and its less spongy overall as I mash down on them.

Thanks for those that warned about the noise it makes when you do it. It sounded like 21 seconds (twice) of someone going crazy with an impact under the hood. My neighbor was looking at me a bit odd.. so it can be heard from well outside of the truck.

Also - Thanks for the warning about the dash going bat crap crazy with the warnings. That would have made me want to change my shorts had I not expected that. The ABS reset step solved all that.

Very happy with the results overall. Better test drive tomorrow at highway speeds.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Thanks for those that warned about the noise it makes when you do it. It sounded like 21 seconds (twice) of someone going crazy with an impact under the hood. My neighbor was looking at me a bit odd.. so it can be heard from well outside of the truck.
LOL! Yeah, I am glad I was warned about the noise. I would have totally crapped my pants otherwise. I have a few thousand miles since I did the procedure and the brakes still feel great. It's also easier to control the AS/S with better pedal feel.

Silver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor, 73 Bronco
Occupation
Retired Navy Officer
Did you have the SB completed on your truck? If you did, was the mushy brake pedal fixed?
Thanks
Sorry, no. I decided to take matters into my own hands, read control... Bought the software and connector and completed the "Mush Brake Fix" that yes, makes a hell of a racket. Problem solved. I was about to head on a 4k adventure and had no time to get to my dealer 3 hours away. Would be interesting to know if that works too.

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Just did mine 20minutes ago. Much firmer. Also, hacked the shit out of the settings.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, no. I decided to take matters into my own hands, read control... Bought the software and connector and completed the "Mush Brake Fix" that yes, makes a hell of a racket. Problem solved. I was about to head on a 4k adventure and had no time to get to my dealer 3 hours away. Would be interesting to know if that works too.
Dealer will do essentially the same thing to the brake system you did.
Sponsored