First time towing a Travel Trailer (before i buy)

Timothy Farley

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat 4wd
So I am new here, so Hello and thank you to everyone.

I have a new 2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew 4x4 FX4, Its fully loaded. I also have the trailer brake controller VKB3Z-2C006-A being installed. Below is the trailer I am looking at. I realize its 100lbs over, GVWR but we are not going to run it full loaded, There is only 3 people in my family (one child). We are going to use a camp ground so we are not carrying max load or any where near. Please understand I am new at towing, so explain please. Also I was told yes weight is important but this trailer is too long (this was from a friend who still thinks the Ranger is still the same size as the 90's ones. Also how does all the weight work with the truck bed? So the truck bed can have 1650lbs. So can you tow 7500lbs plus have 1650lbs in the bed? Thank you for helping.

https://www.southernrv.com/New-Inve...-Super-Lite-SS289QB-McDonough-Georgia-7160249

• Dry Weight 5661 lbs
  • Hitch Weight 768
  • GVWR 7600

ford.jpg
Sponsored

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Xlt Sport Supercrew 2wd
You're already over your maximum hitch weight and the manufacturers estimated hitch weight usually doesn't include propane and batteries. You deduct your actual hitch weight from maximum payload, so your actual hitch weight is at least over 800lbs which leaves you around 800lbs for passengers and cargo. I wouldn't tow that trailer for any kind of long distances... That super slide is what adds so much weight, there's quite a few bunk house floor plans that are lighter but you'd lose the king bed. If you do decide to get it anyways you HAVE to get a weight distribution hitch with sway control and make sure it's setup correctly. If that trailer starts to sway your family is in danger. I drive truck for a living and I've seen countless campers spun around and laid over. If you can take secondary roads and it's a short trip the Ranger will pull it but at highway speeds that's a big and tall trailer and it'll get pushed around by tractor trailers passing you.
https://www.southernrv.com/New-Inve...229BH-CrossRoads-RV-Zinger-southernrv-7397962
This is a lot cheaper, 1000lbs lighter, a lower tongue weight, and much shorter.

Last edited:

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
Peeps wanting to tow trailers that are much safer towed with a 3/4 ton truck. Problem is, this nonsense endangers others on the road as well. The concept of allowing 50% safety factor to ensure survivability in really extenuating circumstances seems to be hard to grasp around here.

These are great little trucks. No argument there. BUT you have a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder engine, a very short wheelbase, and tiny little brakes. Common sense should tell you it is not going to be safe towing a trailer that is way bigger than the truck, that is over weight and that presents a huge wind load surface. Think this thru carefully.

JUST BECAUSE SUPPOSEDLY YOU CAN TOW 7500 LBS DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I’d go with sometimhing in the 4000# range with double axles and a nice slide out. If you get a hybrid canvas trailer you can sacrifice some durability for creature comforts. The truck will surely pull that trailer, but it won’t be safe in the least bit, and you’ll sacrifice most of your load carrying capacity just to tongue weight.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
The marketing people at Ford and the trailer sales should quit lying to people. Travel trailers dry weight is never actual in normal use correct. The height and center of gravity of a travel trailer increases the towing weight factor. The towing capabilities that the marketing people say of the Ranger is the very max allowed. Situations like rough roads, big trucks blowing by, wind, skill of driver, added load, safety, etc. reduce that capacity. In my opinion 3/4 ton is a minimum for towing large in size and weight loads.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I have towed many trailers big and small with various trucks. Currently have a 23' travel trailer with the same gvwr of that one. the weigh isn't what is going to hurt you but the size of that trailer is going to be really bad in wind or even just passing semi trucks. I highly recommend you don't tow that trailer with a ranger. Very unsafe.. and i'm someone that likes to push the limits. DON'T DO IT!!

OP
OP
Timothy Farley

Timothy Farley

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is what the dealership recommend. I didn't trust them so that why I am here.

Like I said I went to the dealership and had them show me what I could tow. He did say this was the max he recommended. We dont want to spend more the $30,000. We like the bunk house, but just 2 bunks is ok. I do need a private bedroom for my wife and I. We also want at least 1 slide out and the outdoor stove\mini fridge. So if you ha e something you recommend please post it here. Thank you all for your help.

Would this one be ok?

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/products/travel-trailers/sunset-trail/floorplans/ss242bh/

Last edited:

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I would say the Jayco Hummingbird 17 could work for a Ranger.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
This is what the dealership recommend. I didn't trust them so that why I am here.

Like I said I went to the dealership and had them show me what I could tow. He did say this was the max he recommended. We dont want to spend more the $30,000. We like the bunk house, but just 2 bunks is ok. I do need a private bedroom for my wife and I. We also want at least 1 slide out and the outdoor stove\mini fridge. So if you ha e something you recommend please post it here. Thank you all for your help.

Would this one be ok?

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/products/travel-trailers/sunset-trail/floorplans/ss242bh/

I tow a wildwood 207bh and it feels like I could go a little bigger. Just a little though.

Joe.sbg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 2500 ram ctd
I posted this a while ago on another thread but I thought it may help you work this out.

Ok finally a subject I’m very opinionated about and have some experience with. Since 1982 I have towed pop ups of every size, hybrids, and travel trailers. I’ve towed with v8 club wagon, v8 bronco, v8 f150, and Ram 2500 ctd. Here is what I’ve learned.

1. Do not believe a car salesman or rv salesman about what you can tow. EVER.
2. I would not consider a trailer weighing much more than 50% of tow rating. Safety and vehicle durability prime considerations.
3. You are probably considering a unit larger than you really need (perhaps a wifely influence).
Shorter and lighter is preferable and safer in this case. And you will have more cushion for people and stuff.
4. I would look for something in the 7’ wide range and 18’-20’ long.
5. Trailers with 2 axles track better but weigh more.
6. A careful study of manufacturers tow ratings will prove this out. Look at things like trailer frontal area and steep grades in mountains, weight of passengers, tools, topper, hitch etc.

I’m selling my 07 ram in the spring and I hope to own a ranger. I’m considering a casita travel trailer. I do hope you find a great trailer and will able to enjoy your travels for a longtime.
Happy hunting.
Joe S.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager

Would this one be ok?

I would say that one is ok if you aren’t traveling real far. Our 23’ we are living in and once we buy a house I doubt we will keep the trailer for camping. Just too big for the truck. If I was planning on using one for camping I would get a 20’ or less

OP
OP
Timothy Farley

Timothy Farley

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would say that one is ok if you aren’t traveling real far. Our 23’ we are living in and once we buy a house I doubt we will keep the trailer for camping. Just too big for the truck. If I was planning on using one for camping I would get a 20’ or less
Thank you. I guess I should of posted how far I will be going. I live in the central valley in California. I am right in the edge of the foothills. So I am looking to drive at most 2 hours each way. Below is the info. There will only be 2 adults and 1 child. Most places I am going has hookups. They have water, sewage and power. So I don't have to carry much. Also we will only be going up Friday and coming back Sunday. So once again we don't need to bring alot.

There are no extreme hills or snow when I am going. I am not going far off the road. Thank you for helping every one and yes some things the wife wants. I came here because everyone here knows more then any dealership. They lie and that why I didn't buy anything until I came here and asked. I still am not buying anything yet. I am doing my research.

I did not plan on buying a trailer when I bought this truck. I understand the limits, so I came here for help llm.flyfisher. I am admiring I don't know and don't trust the dealership. It's not like I bought it and then asked for help.

Oakdale, CA to
Clark Fork Campground

California https://g.co/kgs/z8xatp

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. I guess I should of posted how far I will be going. I live in the central valley in California. I am right in the edge of the foothills. So I am looking to drive at most 2 hours each way. Below is the info. There will only be 2 adults and 1 child. Most places I am going has hookups. They have water, sewage and power. So I don't have to carry much. Also we will only be going up Friday and coming back Sunday. So once again we don't need to bring alot.

There are no extreme hills or snow when I am going. I am not going far off the road. Thank you for helping every one and yes some things the wife wants. I came here because everyone here knows more then any dealership. They lie and that why I didn't buy anything until I came here and asked. I still am not buying anything yet. I am doing my research.

I did not plan on buying a trailer when I bought this truck. I understand the limits, so I came here for help llm.flyfisher. I am admiring I don't know and don't trust the dealership. It's not like I bought it and then asked for help.

Oakdale, CA to
Clark Fork Campground

California https://g.co/kgs/z8xatp
Hi Timothy,

This is where your friend is your Ford Owners Manual and the Trailer Manufacturer's manual. A trailer salesman is looking to make a buck and does not care if you overstepped your truck's capabilities. Folks on this forum can and will help you, but you need to understand what is in the manual. The important facts are the GVW of the truck, the GVW of the trailer, The GCW of the combination and the Tongue weight. Armed with these facts, you will be able to make an intelligent decision regardless of what the Salesmen say. Arm yourself with Data...not opinion...you will be alright! Good luck and post any questions you might have here. Most folks here can help. You also need to understand how much you are bringing along in the Truck or the trailer...most folks way under estimate the weight of the stuff. I have seen numbers on some trailers that are at GVW when you place a six pack of beer in the fridge...(yes..a bit of an exaggeration, but you get what i mean, hopefully?)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

KingsPoint75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
Don't go over the recommended weight. When you, your wife, or your kid looks outside and sees that trailer trying to pass you, it will be too late to reconsider your purchase. Worse, your truck and trailer will take up both lanes and a shoulder as you serpentine down the road trying (failing?) to stop.
Sponsored