Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just to echo the sentiment already voiced on here; the FX4 shocks SUCK! I've got the Eibach kit on my truck and I love it! (And an add-a0leaf kit as well.)
2021-06-04 10.45.08.jpg
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
How did you air yours down, Is there a recommended method to do this?
I have this tire gauge and it also has a bleeder button on it. I've had it for a couple years now and it's worked out well. If you're going off road a lot and want something a little faster and more precise the Staun deflators are great but they're pricey. With these you can set your desired psi and just screw them on and they air down to it. Usually by the time you get to your last tire the first one it all ready to go.

There are a bunch of different variations of both of these which work just as good but IMHO the Staun deflators are one of the best out there. I also have this Viair potable air compressor.

Vr22s

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
Biotech
I might be a bit late to this.. But I have had the luxury of owning an FX4 and now a Tremor. I had no idea what I was missing.
When my FX4 was still alive I had a complete overlanding setup on it and the ride off-road was awful.
Owning the Tremor I could not believe how bad the FX4 is. Still miss that truck though.

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't think the FX4 was terrible although it was a bit soft. I wanted to level up the front and prefer a stiffer ride so I went the Ford Tuned Fox 2.0 and love it. It's much more responsive, especially under braking and cornering. Ford head level DFX4 from the beginning I would not have switched my shocks.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
Hi Trustable,

What I see here on these forums is someone reports the FX4 is underdamped and bounce, and behold many folks climb on this wagon. I created the brand, FX4, and have one. I am experienced in Vehicle Dynamics and do not find the complaints are warranted, but why fight city hall. Thus the FX4 is maligned. So they play the shock game. The shock manufactures know full well that they have to make a change to make the customer believe that their purchase was worth the price. This game was in play for many years before the 5G Ranger. You buy a shock to do the job and pay the $ and cannot feel the change...Customer is very dissapointed...feel a change...yep, cost is justified. I just give these shock posts an eye roll...FX4 shocks are not junk IMO. A tiny bit of rebound control would have been better, but not all that bad.

Anyway...retreating to the flame proof bunker as this will outrage many folks. Please remember that this shock game had been around for more than 40 years before the 5G...
shocks……. its a thing alright - my issue is i love my ranger, i really do not want an F150, they do ride better—- longer wheelbase etc….. but i park in a garage at work and home and the ranger suits my needs better, a full size is just to big . the ranger does sway a bit and bounce a lot on the roads… i know, its a small truck truck. but my wife gets carsick every time shes in it ( not new its a whole life thing) but never had an issue with the f150, i know the f150 is bigger, heavier and longer wheelbase but is there anything that can smooth that out a bit so i dont have to hear “im gonna throw up”….. we did drive the xlts and both of us thought they were bad riding, swayed a lot and generally soft sloppy feeling but the FX2 seems to have better ride and suspension (tires? seats? shocks? something) she can go short distances at least. im going to do some googling to see if there is anything that might help with this becasue i really do not want another full size truck…. if you feel like leaving the flame proof bunker…. any ideas on that? yes tires are at recommended psi.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
shocks……. its a thing alright - my issue is i love my ranger, i really do not want an F150, they do ride better—- longer wheelbase etc….. but i park in a garage at work and home and the ranger suits my needs better, a full size is just to big . the ranger does sway a bit and bounce a lot on the roads… i know, its a small truck truck. but my wife gets carsick every time shes in it ( not new its a whole life thing) but never had an issue with the f150, i know the f150 is bigger, heavier and longer wheelbase but is there anything that can smooth that out a bit so i dont have to hear “im gonna throw up”….. we did drive the xlts and both of us thought they were bad riding, swayed a lot and generally soft sloppy feeling but the FX2 seems to have better ride and suspension (tires? seats? shocks? something) she can go short distances at least. im going to do some googling to see if there is anything that might help with this becasue i really do not want another full size truck…. if you feel like leaving the flame proof bunker…. any ideas on that? yes tires are at recommended psi.
Many people have reported replacing just the rear shocks with the Eibachs or Bilsteins have "fixed" the issue for them - it is a relatively simple and cheap upgrade to do.

I personally like the ride on my Ranger - there are a few times when it does get a tad "floaty" but overall I think it has a very comfortable ride. We've taken several long trips in it and it is a comfortable vehicle for long trips.

FordFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4 Ranger, 2022 Sonata Limited
Occupation
Engineer
It’s your shocks specifically the rear. Ford hired the engineer who designed them from the pogo stick factory down the street.

Bilstein 5100 is a cheap upgrade and makes a big difference. Fox 2.0 or Eibach if you have the money.
all rebound, no damping

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
I went from FX4 to Ford Performance Fox 2.0 kit. The difference is night and day on trails and washboard roads.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I’m in an XLT sport. Guess they use different shocks. On New England roads you would think your on a trail sometimes. Speed bumps around here are also becoming a big thing. Mine is a bit boaty but not to the point of car sickness. But, I want to level it at some point and being a Yankee hate replacing things that still are not broken or worn out. At some point when I do change them out will upgrade probably to FP Fox 2.0 all around. My previous Ranger my factory fronts only lasted 2 years. Time will tell with these on the new one.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Andrew,

If you have stock tires....use the door label setting. If aftermarket tires...Follow the tire manufacturers recommendations. Ride is a subjective arena. I find my FX4 ride great. But our roads are smooth as a baby's behind... I do agree that the FX4 really does better off road..However there are many folks that find rear shocks with more rebound control fit their needs.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Buy the most expensive shocks and tires. If that doesnt improve your ride then try another brand. When your wallet is lighter and your ride still doesnt suit you then try sand bags in the bed. Adjust the amount of bags till you are fine with ride. Use air pressure to fine tune. :cool:

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
Many people have reported replacing just the rear shocks with the Eibachs or Bilsteins have "fixed" the issue for them - it is a relatively simple and cheap upgrade to do.

I personally like the ride on my Ranger - there are a few times when it does get a tad "floaty" but overall I think it has a very comfortable ride. We've taken several long trips in it and it is a comfortable vehicle for long trips.
'floaty' --- thats what I thought about the XLT but he Fx2 is more firm??? it still bouncy
Hi Andrew,

If you have stock tires....use the door label setting. If aftermarket tires...Follow the tire manufacturers recommendations. Ride is a subjective arena. I find my FX4 ride great. But our roads are smooth as a baby's behind... I do agree that the FX4 really does better off road..However there are many folks that find rear shocks with more rebound control fit their needs.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
thanks Phil.... I have the FX2 version, I just dont need 4wd. As far as I know the suspension / shocks on the FX4 is pretty much the same as the FX2, I just need to get to a point where the other half isn't saying "im gonna throw up" when the take the truck. I do find it bouncy and a little sloppy handling some times - better since I forgot to take the 250 lbs of rock out of the back from winter (ok didn't forget just lazy) and it does help with wet weather driving but still left with the carsick wife problem.... it isn't new her brother actually calls it "driving ms queazy" ..... looks like we keep driving the other car. Im in the DFW area of texas and our roads are garbage, uneven lanes etc. for me, the ranger rides pretty much like a small truck, I wish it rode more like my F150 did, she never had an issue In that one but I do not need a full size truck. thanks again.
Sponsored