First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
So I drove the ranger offroad for first time to my cabin in the woods. The road the last 1/2 mile or so is quite rocky and bumpy. Gravel. Rocks sticking up. Etc. My last ride went up with less bouncing but I had to go up really slow. Otherwise it felt like I was going to damage it. It was a 2017 patriot 4,x4. But it didn't bounce as much as my Ranger did. I never felt like I was damaging the truck. It was just bouncing. Side to side. Coming down after the visit I used 4lo 1st. 18 degree hill. Never had to touch brake so I love that! I suppose the side to side is quite normal for trucks? My xterra doesn't do that. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I read that the FX4 is 'tuned' for off-road. I don't really do real off roading, so not sure what that means really. But nearly everyone with an FX4 hates the shocks. I guess us asphalt warriors don't get the benefit of the FX4 shocks.

With that said, maybe you should swap the rears with bilsteins or eibachs to help with the floaty or soft feel of the FX4. It sure helps on the road, I used eibachs and it's a great change for not much money.

Added. oh, you didn't mention FX4, so I must have assumed that when you said it was bouncy. I think my comment still applies.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Get rid of the factory rear shocks.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
It’s your shocks specifically the rear. Ford hired the engineer who designed them from the pogo stick factory down the street.

Bilstein 5100 is a cheap upgrade and makes a big difference. Fox 2.0 or Eibach if you have the money.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
It’s your shocks specifically the rear. Ford hired the engineer who designed them from the pogo stick factory down the street.

Bilstein 5100 is a cheap upgrade and makes a big difference. Fox 2.0 or Eibach if you have the money.
My eibachs were a few bucks cheaper than bilstein, but it depends on the model. I used eibach protruck 2.0 since they were in stock compared to the bilstein 5100 out of stock. Either will be fine.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
They easy to swap out? I did. My xterras a few years back. Easy as pie. Jack off frame. Then remove old and add new as I recall. Used bilsteins 5100 there.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Very easy.

The nuts that hold the shocks are in a captive pocket of sorts so watch for that.

It took me 30 minutes to do taking my time and waiting for the compressor to charge up.

The FX4 shocks are pretty easy to compress, the Bilsteins not so much.

Some have used a ratchet strap to compress them but I just wrestled them into place and used a big flat head screwdriver to line them up with the holes.

Stage 3 has a good selection of rear shocks for different budgets and needs.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
As i recall with the xterra, I just jacked the truck up to match the ones in the box and then wham. Perfect.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
On my FX4, no tire removal or jack up required. Only thing necessary was to use ratchet straps to compress the eibachs. No way to compress by hand, at least for me. I'm old.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Did you air down all? It will make a huge difference airing down to 16-18 lbs. Without airing down your going to feel every rock and bounce off of them. I have the Fx4 package and I don't think it's all that bouncy as a lot of people claim it to be. Maybe I'm just use to it because all my F150's had it in the past.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
I have the Fx4 package and I don't think it's all that bouncy as a lot of people claim it to be. Maybe I'm just use to it because all my F150's had it in the past.
WRONG! no, kidding. I thought it was floaty, but I'm not used to off-road shocks.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
WRONG! no, kidding. I thought it was floaty, but I'm not used to off-road shocks.
It is kind of bouncy and other shocks are much better like Fox or Bilstein. But if you not use to off road suspension it probably will feel even worse to you. Even on bumpy forest roads it does help to air down as you won't feel every rock which could bounce you around if they're big enough. It won't be a cure all for the Fx4 suspension but it will help when off road.