My first 4WD-help with the basics please

RMD3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I have had AWD but never 4WD and I read the manual but need some practical tips. I have the FX4.

We spend most of our time in warm areas so snow will be infrequent. That said I can see a few potential uses for the 4WD:

-Sand/dirt on beach or lake areas
-Occasional snow when we get caught in a late season snowstorm.

My questions:
1. The manual says do not use 4WD on dry pavement. When on a road that has some snow patches but more wet or dry patches than snow can I keep it in 4WD for the clear patches or switch back and forth or just use 2WD since unlikely to get stuck on a single snow patch or what?

2. I know what the diff does but when do you need to lock it (if ever) given my potential scenarios above?
Sponsored

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
1. If there's a fair amount of snow/ice on the ground and you are driving at slower speeds or in mainly straight lines, then you are okay to keep in 4x4. Just avoid hard turns on dry/wet pavement, as the system can bind. If it's mostly just wet and dry, your truck will be fine even in 2wd mode. For most of this winter I barely used 4x4, mainly just when there was a lot of slush/snow on the roads and I needed a little help to get moving, but the Ranger is very capable, even in 4x2. I would avoid constantly shifting in and out of 4x4 and 4x2 if you can to avoid burning up the shift actuator.

2. Usually you would lock the diff in an offroad scenario where you have wheels lifting off the ground or have lost traction on 3 of 4 wheels and you need to lock to keep from spinning a tire. There are very few scenarios outside of hard off-roading that require a locked diff (i.e. a slippery boat launch, getting unstuck, etc).

Hopefully that helps. Don't over think it, you'll get the hang of it after a time or two driving in those scenarios.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Diff lock is a pretty bad idea on snow roads (getting unstuck is a different issue). When one wheel spins, the non-spinning wheel will help keep you going in a straight line. However if both break loose at the same time, that's a good way to end up in the ditch.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Nice question in the OP! Same situation here. I'll be coming back to catch up on all the good stuff in this thread.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Me too. This is very helpful! My husband knows, but I may need to use it one day he's not with me.:like:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
In Terrain Management, the front wheels behave as locked diff by anti-lock brakes to stop wheels in air from spinning...better than full time diff lock...

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sarah Tuned test of Ranger...she's cute but didn't know how to use most of the Ranger's capabilities...like Terrain Management and diff locks...so she got stuck in a very simple sand trap...

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
That looks like the Hassayampa River Area out west of Phoenix. Coincidentally so is Whitman and the Ford Proving Grounds. Hmmmmmmm.........

And now for the most controversial thing you have read on this forum (please don't ban me), but she ain't that cute or that smart either. Struggled to watch that video. OOF!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
If she's female and likes 4x4 vehicles, she is automatically cute :like:

Every truck guy likes a girl who likes trucks, and if she likes trucks she is automatically smart too.

I used to teach computer network classes which were of course most frequently filled by guys (nerds).

If a girl ever showed up in class it was like dogs on meat trying to be her lab partner.

And yep, almost all of the girls that came to class were cute. :)

If a girl realizes just how hot a silent Ryzen 3900X, X570, 64GB RAM, GTX2080, Seasonic 1200W build is, she's nothing less than beautiful.

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That looks like the Hassayampa River Area out west of Phoenix. Coincidentally so is Whitman and the Ford Proving Grounds. Hmmmmmmm.........

And now for the most controversial thing you have read on this forum (please don't ban me), but she ain't that cute or that smart either. Struggled to watch that video. OOF!
She does wrench on her cars and that's pretty hot in my book :like:

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
A girl at my work a long time ago asked me if she could borrow a spark plug socket. We're started dating shortly after. Then I married her ?
Sponsored