First Look 2023 Ranger: Unmasked and Testing!

OP
OP
Motorpsychology

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Same video with what I’d argue is someone else’s (not necessarily Ford’s) idea of an unmasked nextgen added. Look at the headlight config in the masked version and how big the oval appears under the masking. Besides, to me, it looks like a rendering and not a photo.

Wishful thinking? Click bait? Both?
Could be that the video is a Wildtrak or Raptor and the blue SuperCrew is a Lariat or XLT. And now that you point it out, the Crew does look like it was placed on the background. These are still hand built eval trucks; still time to finalize trim placement, interior colors and patterns, etc.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We're probably about 12-15 months away from Job1 now that there are full 6G mules. Job 1 for the 2022's (5G) is Dec 13th
Hi Chris,

Wow! That Colorado Kangaroo filiming must have been archivable as there so few Colorado Kangaroos....

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
Motorpsychology

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Hi Chris,

Wow! That Colorado Kangaroo filiming must have been archivable as there so few Colorado Kangaroos....

Best,
Phil
Experimental US Postal Service edition: note the RHD.
Thinking.jpeg

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Well here is my useless opinion. We have had this same style sense 2015, and its getting old. the new look seems fresh and exciting, that may be bc F150s are very rare here. They are to expensive and that is the only reason really. They just started selling them(F150)and they wont sell good at all. Like the Expedition and Mustang, you will hardly see them. We see Rangers and Everest everyday by the dozens, and Im not joking. Im not sure if I will like it more than the current, but will welcome the fresh face.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
looks alot better than the nissan.
Debatable.

New Ranger is like, "For when you want to look like an F-150, but you don't want to pay F-150 price"

Someone should tell Ford someone aftermarket already has an F-150 body kit out. Comes with a complimentary tapout t-shirt, flat billed hat, and monster energy drink sticker. Carolina Squat Package comes optional.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
To me the big question would be if they do come out with a V6 EcoBoost motor in the next generation how much change under the hood in regards to possibility of transplanting said engine in the current body.

I just don't think I can bring myself to trade into a more powerful motor at the expense of having to look at that god-awful ugly front end every time I look at my garage
This is all just personal preference, but I do not find the front end shown to be ugly at all. So if they are putting something more powerful in there, combined with updated suspension and interior upgrades (like a better music system, even the B&O Unleashed that the high-end 150s get), then I am all in! It helps that I have a 2019 Lariat, which means that by the time this thing is really available to consumers, I will be closer to my goals of five years old, paid for, and 100,000 miles, which means that I can shop for a next-generation upgrade with a clear (fiscal) conscience and the wife's full support!

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
This is all just personal preference, but I do not find the front end shown to be ugly at all. So if they are putting something more powerful in there, combined with updated suspension and interior upgrades (like a better music system, even the B&O Unleashed that the high-end 150s get), then I am all in! It helps that I have a 2019 Lariat, which means that by the time this thing is really available to consumers, I will be closer to my goals of five years old, paid for, and 100,000 miles, which means that I can shop for a next-generation upgrade with a clear (fiscal) conscience and the wife's full support!
Well my only other path of consideration would be if the primary body uses the same alignment hole design for the fenders, hood, and front bumper. As in install a 19-22 front face on a 23+ model.

To me the Ranger's current front has its own unique look among trucks. The new Ranger is just a copy-pasta Maverick / F-150 design with slight differences.

That and they need to release a green or tan color too. Bonus points if a manufacturer could figure out a way to put out a durable matte, or maybe satin finish instead of high gloss.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
That render shows the Ranger as a cross between the current Ranger and a Maverick. My "source" says the actual Ranger look is more like a cross between a Bronco and a Rivian truck.

1631714889868.png

Think this, but less boxy, headlights from what you see in the video, front end more like a bronco. Also warthog tusks...

Reactions: Doc

rossagge

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
I do stuff...
...To me the Ranger's current front has its own unique look among trucks. The new Ranger is just a copy-pasta Maverick / F-150 design with slight differences.
Yeah. But that's why it called "branding." All manufacturers do it to their vehicles. Trying to keep the same or similar look for their product line. Even though I just bought one, I feel the truck does need an update...total update, not just a refresh like we got in the US. New interior, unique dash layout with bigger buttons, front end and rear would be nice. Keep the same capabilities or add to them (opt. front locker on certain trims). Other than these, it's a nice truck. I've been seeing these trucks for a long time now through my travels. It was cool seeing it for the first time 5+yrs back. I knew when purchasing mine the other day that an all new Ranger was on the horizon, but compared to the other mid-sized trucks that are currently out, we like this the best. And they all have new gens on the horizon as well. When that happens, maybe it'll be time to make another decision on a mid-size truck! Haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I've been seeing these truck for a long time now through my travels. It was cool seeing it for the first time 5+yrs back.
Where have you seen these Rangers 5+ years ago?

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
Fords idea of "extreme" testing and mine are very different.

Their marketing department needs to consider getting a dictionary.

Unless something has changed recently, I do believe "Basic Function Testing" =! "Extreme Testing"

And to add insult to injury, you guys notice that "water" testing wasn't shown. lol We all know why.
Hey since you mentioned it, I wonder if anyone has tried to relocate the alternator? Is that even possible?
Sponsored