First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I'm heading out for my first big road trip in the Ranger, from Nanticoke, Ontario to Edmonton, Alberta. It's 3500 km each way (2200 miles) with a 2 night stay in Edmonton before returning home. ~About 36 hours driving, so 3 x 12 hour days to get there. The Ranger's small fuel tank limits me to 4 hours between fuel ups.
1DUsjpf.jpg

Just me and my boy Kyuss on the way there.
nHw851F.jpg

Picking up my new girl Beatrix, for what is sure to be a very exciting ride home, lol. With a new puppy I'll be stopping every2 hours at most, which will make a longer ride home. Closer to 4 full days to get back, but worth the extra day to be diligent with her "house" training.
yyPZQ2O.jpg
Sponsored

tremorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I haven't had any big road trips yet but may be driving from Boston area to South Dakota in a month or so, looking forward to seeing how it does. The fuel tank is one of my only annoyances with this truck, not as much of an issue for you having to stop for the dogs anyways but when I make long drives I try to stop as little as humanly possible. My last road trip (with my old suburban) I went from Tampa to Boston stopping just twice (5 minutes each for gas only), unfortunately can't do that in the Ranger...

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Enjoy your trip with your big buddy Jay. It will surely be an adventure heading back home with a new puppy. We've taken our Ranger on quite a few shorter trips, and have enjoyed every one of them. The truck is surprisingly comfortable.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Enjoy your trip Jay! The longest trip I've done so far in my Ranger is when we went to UT and NV (Las Vegas) back in the fall of 2020. It ended up being just under 1,400 miles and it was extremely comfortable throughout the whole trip.

We're taking off this June for a month covering 4-5 states and I haven't added up the miles yet but I'm guessing it'll end up around 3,000-4,000 miles by the time we're done. I'm still not sure which vehicle I'm taking as I really want to take the Jeep because there's some great places to off road in CO and we're stopping in Moab for 4 days. The Ranger has a lot more room for gear, food etc but the Jeep might just keep my girlfriend from bringing everything she owns including the kitchen sink! :facepalm: Have a great trip and be safe!!

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the well wishes!

Road tripping is the reason I built this Ranger, but Covid restrictions have been working against that goal. I have a 15,000 mile 2-3 month meandering trip planned to Toktoyuktuk, HOPING to get under way before August. Tents, fishing, dogs, hiking, canoeing, wheeling and the occasional motel. No schedule other than get there and be south of the Artic Circle before October. This trip to Edmonton is a test run of sorts.

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
My rear seat is permanently deleted, and I temporarily removed my passenger seat again. I lined the passenger side with plastic, then installed a sub-floor to match the height of the rear floor. On top of the sub-floor I have a bunch of blankets, and her crate will go on top of those. She will only be allowed to move around in the protected areas, so if she does have an accident, it won't get into the truck carpet.

If I do my part, she shouldn't have any accidents...

...if she does she can ride in the box... if she has an accident in the box, she can go on the roof rack... lol, kidding of course.

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
We don’t have to drive nearly that far in the U.S. to get a dog. They’re everywhere. :LOL:
Meh, I'm retired and this time of year is no fun around the house anyway. All the spring clean-up will still be here when I get back, or blown over to the neighbours. Either is fine with me ;)

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I'm heading out for my first big road trip in the Ranger, from Nanticoke, Ontario to Edmonton, Alberta. It's 3500 km each way (2200 miles) with a 2 night stay in Edmonton before returning home. ~About 36 hours driving, so 3 x 12 hour days to get there. The Ranger's small fuel tank limits me to 4 hours between fuel ups.
1DUsjpf.jpg

Just me and my boy Kyuss on the way there.
nHw851F.jpg

Picking up my new girl Beatrix, for what is sure to be a very exciting ride home, lol. With a new puppy I'll be stopping every2 hours at most, which will make a longer ride home. Closer to 4 full days to get back, but worth the extra day to be diligent with her "house" training.
yyPZQ2O.jpg
How cute! Have a wonderful and safe trip! :sun:

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I don't have a problem with the fuel cuz I always need a pit stop long before the truck needs gas!!!

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
5 gallons of fuel, tools, booster pack and compressor all on board for the trip. Winter tires came off today too, which is always a happy day. Air compressor showed them all at 42 coming out of the garage, so I left them there. I took the truck for a 5 mile drive, and it start to sync the new TPMS, but they all show around 35lb. I'll keep an eye on them as I get under way, and I have another pressure gauge I'll check against.

I also installed a full length sub-floor on the passenger side which is over 6 feet. I'll drop an air mattress on top, and good to sleep on with both dogs using the remaining 2/3 of the back seat floor, or squeezed in around me.

I do have a RTT waiting for install, but some of the winter stuff I do, being able to sleep in the cab is occasionally important.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Enjoy the trip Jay. I’ve done the Toronto to Calgary run and made the trip from Toronto to Phoenix a few times, stopping only for gas and takeout at truck stops along the way. I didn’t have such good company so I’m a bit jealous. That return trip will be a lot of fun. ?

Drive carefully. Along the way, wave at the Wawa goose and give a nod to Terry Fox for me.
Sponsored