Final Checklist before Signing Paperwork?

greypilgrim76

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Soul +, 2011 Subaru Outback
Occupation
English Professor
Hi All,

As you may have seen in my other thread, my Ranger is finally at the dealership, and I'm going in for a final once-over, test drive, and paperwork on Monday morning. I've read a lot of comments on this thread about (mostly minor) fitment issues and flaws that show up on a handful of Rangers from the factory, and while I know that my warranty will cover a lot of problems even after signing on the dotted line, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on things to check before signing on the dotted line.

I had a chance to check it out briefly this morning, and it looks like the left and right sides are the same height, and the doors fit smoothly with the body. Beyond that, any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Check fender and hood alignment. Also, might ask them to make sure they check transmission fill level and correct air pressure on the tires.

A thorough test drive at varied speeds up to interstate speeds to check for drivetrain vibrations.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Hi All,

As you may have seen in my other thread, my Ranger is finally at the dealership, and I'm going in for a final once-over, test drive, and paperwork on Monday morning. I've read a lot of comments on this thread about (mostly minor) fitment issues and flaws that show up on a handful of Rangers from the factory, and while I know that my warranty will cover a lot of problems even after signing on the dotted line, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on things to check before signing on the dotted line.

I had a chance to check it out briefly this morning, and it looks like the left and right sides are the same height, and the doors fit smoothly with the body. Beyond that, any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Congrats on your new truck. :clap:
Have the dealer lower the tire psi to the correct pressure and fill up the windshield washer reservoir. I would just give the truck a carefully inspection on the fitment and paint. You want to check the seats for any flaws. My dealer filled up the gas tank. They also talked me through the basics of Sync and we programmed my phone for the FordPass app.
Enjoy and try not to get in an accident on the way home while you are playing with the electonics. :crackup:

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Congrats, watch for paint defects. I noticed this on mine just recently. Purchased in April but live in the desert so usually the layer of dirt hides it. I bring this up because the gray Tremor on site had one of these defects, mine being black was harder to see.

The gray Tremor had one of these on the left rear fender, near the tailgate so this can really happen I guess on any panel. Weird because it looks under the paint.

The other weird thing I had on my new Tremor was the left rear passenger window trim was not installed correctly. Hard to make out in this image from our test drive as it looks like a shadow but its actually the plastic trim not installed properly. Ironically I did not notice that till I got home....thing I was too focused looking for dings and panel alignment that I missed the trim. I fixed that myself though.

I love everything else about the truck so whatever. Tows our trailer great and is so much fun and more capable off-road than our other vehicle. The main problem is that my wife and I have a "custody battle" over who gets to call it theirs lol.

DSC00003_3.JPG

DSC00001_2.JPG

DSC00002_2.JPG

download_20210427_021537.jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All,

Thanks!
Demand that the tire pressures be adjusted to the door label and have the dealer prove they did it....Likely not performed as part of the the PDI.

best,
Phil

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Dealer removes their decals
Verify license plate frame not hitting tailgate when lowered
Perform updates, recalls, TSB's
Check roof for damage
Check weather seals and moldings
Check glass for wavy lines or other irregularities
Check fit & alignment of hood, doors, fenders, tailgate, bed
Verify all skid plates in place
Check oil level to determine baseline
Top off washer fluid
Get full rundown on all controls and features for familiarity and note any problems

TEST DRIVE !!

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
As said above. Make sure tire pressure is to spec and also all fluids. Also do a complete walk around checking closely for any defects. Put everything under a microscope before they send you on your way.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty much everyone else has said-- :like: As far as the washer fluid goes, I'd make sure they fill it with the 20-30 below zero stuff....getting close to winter and it would be better to have the "good stuff" in there. I use the sub-zero stuff year round, so no need to swap it out twice a year :thumbsup:

EDIT: Also, if you plan on removing any factory or dealer decals, let it sit in the sun for a little and peel them off now.

OP
OP
greypilgrim76

greypilgrim76

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
English Professor
Make sure the rear seat latches properly
That you get the sticker with the key code
That you have the key for your lock lug nuts
That you have your jack and plastic gas filter
Two quick questions: what is the sticker with key code, and what's the plastic gas filter? (These answers are probably obvious, but I'm not comprehending for some reason.) :)

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Two quick questions: what is the sticker with key code, and what's the plastic gas filter? (These answers are probably obvious, but I'm not comprehending for some reason.) :)
Your truck will come with a plastic funnel for refueling from a jerry can. It's needed for the capless fuel system.

The key code is a little tag that may or may not come with your paperwork. Personally I don't think it's that important. A key can be made from your VIN.

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
greypilgrim76

greypilgrim76

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
English Professor
Thanks to both of you for the quick reply!

Here's my current checklist that I'll be using tomorrow:

Height on each side
Door alignment
Fender alignment
Hood alignment
Tailgate alignment
Transmission fill level
Tire pressure
Drivetrain vibrations at speed
Wiper fluid level
Check for paint imperfections
Upholstery flaws
Check window trim & seals
Rear seat latch
Key for locking lug nuts
Spare tire & jack
Plastic gas filter
Sticker with key code
License plate frame hitting tailgate
Roof damage
Wavy glass lines
Oil level

I only live about five minutes from the dealership, so I'm going to park it in my driveway during the final test drive and give it a once-over without all the dealer eyeballs on me. :)

I hope maybe this list/thread will be helpful to some of you, too!

FourMoreG

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger 4x4 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Driver
As said above. Make sure tire pressure is to spec and also all fluids. Also do a complete walk around checking closely for any defects. Put everything under a microscope before they send you on your way.
In other words, do the Dealer’s shop inspection tasks, yourself, (the same ones which you have probably been charged $$ for) and DO it like you Mean It.
It is YOUR truck.
YOUR TRUCK !
DO Your Best !

TAKE OWNERSHIP of the tasks, and of the responsibility you are about to Now be accountable for, once you drive the Ranger from the dealership.

DO NOT RUSH ! TAKE YOUR SWEET TIME, regardless of the distractions.

YOU ARE MAKING AN IMPORTANT PURCHASE !

PAY ATTENTION !

The TIME IS NOW to inspect CAREFULLY, point out and WRITE DOWN the issues (take an photo of this list immediately after writing it, and the window sticker). Don’t restrict your ASKING questions, and try not to be overly pleasured by the WOW ! sense of NEW ownership and accomplishment, or Allow that effect from skewing the enjoyment your New Vehicle Ownership. Take delivery during regular business hours, when the dealer’s shop has adequate staff AND time, on hand, to accommodate immediate inspection needs.
Remember, it is a business transaction and be alert and aware of the emotional (and financial) effects involved in taking ownership of a vehicle. Some of this May seem like work, and it is, but by taking the time to write a task list now (AS YOU READ THIS POST, RIGHT NOW !) AND the discipline to follow-up , may take a bit of the wind out of your sails (their sales), but you should have a greater sense of involvement in the education of Dealer-OWNER Responsibly. I wish you well.

Oh, and #1)
Instruct the salesperson to Personally Make Sure, that the tire air pressure IS EQUAL on all four tires and is set to the mid-point (or another point that suits you), as that which is indicated by FORD for The Actual, Specific Vehicle you are purchasing. Tell the salesperson to make it THEIR BUSINESS to make sure this task is accomplished.
INSIST !
Don’t leave the dealer without having this task Done.
#2)
Test the brake pedal engage-action-distance, and test the feel (spongy or firm) and consider what needs to change.
TEST DRIVE BEFORE SIGNING ANYTHING !
If something is promised, get that promise in writing.
Talk about it with salesperson and Write down Their response.
Sponsored

Last edited: