First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport
Occupation
Sports Photographer
I have 16K on mine and still hav the burning smell, mainly after long road trips of 70mph+ highway driving. Pull into a rest area and I will smell it. Smells like electrical wiring burning. Not an inspiring smell...
Sponsored

Gone Blue

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT 4X4 Ingot Silver
OK so my truck was at the dealer last week for repair to the rear defrost grid. I asked the service writer about the burning oil smell and black crap on the tail pipe. He told me that both were normal. The oil smell was even common on F150's I was told but he never really told me why? The black crap on the tail pipe was from the motor being direct injected. He was giving me a big sales pitch on adding a catch can. So IDK? If this is all normal, not sure why it all of a sudden started happening at over 5,500 miles? G.B.

jwtayl01

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
I started getting a rubber burning smell after my first oil change (dealer, semi-synthetic). The odor seems more rubber and less oil smell. I only really smell it after about 15 min of highway driving and stopped on an incline. My commute home has this situation, but after the highway the stoplight is flat. The smell is almost completely gone after 10 min suburban/neighborhood driving. Have yet to get it back to the dealer. I have looked under and havn't seen anything. Am planning on putting the front end up on the jack and see if anything drips.

Is there one jack point under the engine? Had that on the Taco, made it easy to lift the front end and get jack stands under there.

pjs823

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
self employed
Has anyone dealt with a faint burnt smell after parking the truck in the garage after a drive. I’m not sure how to diagnose this or what to do. I’ve had the smell since the car was new. I have 1600 miles on it and wonder if it’s some new smell that will burn off. Taking it to the dealer could be tough in that I can’t smell it unless truck is parked after a drive in the garage. The dealer has a huge indoors car bay that I doubt they’ll be able to smell. I put my nose in the front grates and smell something off but if I lift hood I get nothing. My guess is something under the truck but this feels like a needle in a haystack kinda find. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated. Thanks

DMAX
I have the exact same thing with my ranger since the day I brought it home and I thought it was rust inhibitor put on for transport but it has not gone away and it smells just like engine oil dripping onto to a hot exhaust manifold. I took a look under the truck and inside the engine compartment but no leak was found. I am a tech with 30 years in the industry and i am very familiar with that smell. I will bring it into the dealer in the future for other warranty stuff and ask them. If you find out anything let me know.

Cmd

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat supercrew
Occupation
Engineer
Watching this thread because I also have a faint plastic burning smell on my 19' lariat since I bought the truck and still have after 16k miles.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
I've noticed a faint burning smell too. It seems to have started since the temperature drop from winter and I only notice.it at start up. I couldn't fig out where it's coming from

WoodrowX

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Add me to the list. Recently (past month or so), I've noticed an occassional burning rubber smell. I wish I knew what caused it so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

nny_ranger

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I definitely recommend anyone smelling this checks their rear brake pads often. I only seem to smell it in the winter and my pad wear accelerates in the winter aggressively

pjs823

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
self employed
Has anyone dealt with a faint burnt smell after parking the truck in the garage after a drive. I’m not sure how to diagnose this or what to do. I’ve had the smell since the car was new. I have 1600 miles on it and wonder if it’s some new smell that will burn off. Taking it to the dealer could be tough in that I can’t smell it unless truck is parked after a drive in the garage. The dealer has a huge indoors car bay that I doubt they’ll be able to smell. I put my nose in the front grates and smell something off but if I lift hood I get nothing. My guess is something under the truck but this feels like a needle in a haystack kinda find. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated. Thanks

DMAX
I have same problem and the dealer blew me off saying its a normal new car smell! That's 100% BS! I am a retired ASE certified tech that knows different automotive odors and that smells just like motor oil dripping onto a hot exhaust manifold. There are no leaks that I can see but I know there is a problem. I am going to have to push this up the chain. If anyone gets an answer post it

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Paul,

Things like this are likely not systemic but unique to a specific vehicle, so it is likely you will have to solve this yourself or take it to another dealer that is more receptive to diagnosis your concern.

Good luck,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Dan94

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ranger
We've got 54,000 km on our Ranger and we definitely have this smell still, however it is intermittent. Trying to recreate it for one of the technicians at the dealership but no luck yet.

motodude

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Senior Vice President of a renewable energy company
Nice to know I’m not crazy! I’ve smelled it a few times too. Has always been near the rear wheel on the drivers’ side. 100% a hot/burnt electrical smell.

Count Desmondo

First Name
Desmondo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Supercab
Just read through this thread....I have a smell that seems to be coming from my driver's rear wheel area. I'm guessing it's the brakes not releasing 100%. I use the parking/emergency brake often so I am wondering if it is connected that. Taking it in soon for the Fox 2.0 install and will add this to the list.

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Nice to know I’m not crazy! I’ve smelled it a few times too. Has always been near the rear wheel on the drivers’ side. 100% a hot/burnt electrical smell.
ok so I’m not crazy. It comes and goes and after a 100+ miles trip last night when I backed the truck up to make a uturn I got the strong burning smell again. Bothers me so much that I can’t find it.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
On my truck it is without question burning rubber, only happens after 1+ hour of driving, I smell it in the cab and outside.
I figure it is something either on the firewall or around the turbo area getting a heat soak and burning, I've looked but it all seems fine, I'm hoping it will eventually dissipate.
Sponsored