First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
What does fx4 mean? I don't mean what options. I mean how did ford come up with badging that says "fx4"? Does it stand for "four x 4"? So like for an fx2, it would mean "4x2"? I bet Phil knows? Etymology. Sorry.
Sponsored

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I’m going to give a wild educated guess that it stands for “Ford” by four or “Ford” by two. Just a play on words. If im not mistaken Phil helped create the legendary fx4 name when reading around his lovely stories around here.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I’m going to give a wild educated guess that it stands for “Ford” by four or “Ford” by two. Just a play on words. If im not mistaken Phil helped create the legendary fx4 name when reading around his lovely stories around here.
Winner!! ? ?

https://www.kimbercreekford.com/blog/what-is-ford-fx4-and-how-is-it-different-from-4x4/#:~:text=In actuality, the “F” in FX4 stands for,are the special features of the FX4 package?

In actuality, the “F” in FX4 stands for *surprise* “Ford.” Until the early 2000s, the improved version of 4×4 offered by Ford was known as the “Off Road Package.” But in 2002, someone at Ford had a brilliant idea, and they cleverly renamed their premium 4×4 packaged to “FX4.”

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
I always just assumed it was a package build code like Chevy's "Z71". Guess not lol

1625932323267.png

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Last edited:

Opusnbill7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Interesting. I had a 2001 on lease (when they were practically giving them away...it was like $159/mo for 2 years with nothing down) back then. Off road package and everything. Great truck but wasn't in the cards to buy it out at the time. Was cheap reliable transportation though.

Never knew the off road package and FX4 are essentially the same thing (sort of). Cool info!

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if anyone knows all of the designations, 3 or 4 letter descriptions, etc. associated with a Ranger.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Never knew the off road package and FX4 are essentially the same thing (sort of). Cool info!
Back story: I used to own a small company and would lease a new Ranger and when my kids got too big, Sport Tracs, every three years since it was a write-off because I used it for business purposes.

I had a 1999 Ranger 4x4, plain XLT, that I liked and about three months before the lease was up someone ran a stop sign and T-boned me in the driver's door. I leased a new 2002 Ranger with the Off-Road Package. The ORP got you fog lights, skidplates, larger wheels, all-terrain tires, and off-road shocks as big as my calves. My truck had the optional limited-slip rear diff which at that time was not included with the ORP. It road like a cement mixer and since I spent half my workday in it, I was worn out by the end of the day. I had it about two weeks and hit a ripple in a brick street near my house and it rocked so hard I hit my still-tender head on the same spot of the door frame as I did in the wreck and had to slam on the brakes because my vision went white and I couldn't see for a couple of seconds. Was a beast off-road though. After the lease was up I got a Sport Trac and felt like I'd stepped into a Lincoln. The ORP was available from 1998-2002.

Now then.... The Ranger FX4 came out in 2002, sort of a hopped-up ORP. To the ORP it added either Rancho or Bilstein shocks (I forget which), slightly different tow hooks that were chrome plated, a Torsen rear limited-slip, and 15x7 Alcoa wheels with 31x10.50-15 BFG All-Terrain tires. If you got a manual transmission you also got a manually shifted transfer case.

Here's where it gets a little confusing. In 2003 (and later years) Ford called the old Off-Road Package the FX4 which did include a regular limited-slip rear. The 2002 FX4 became the FX4 Level II with the Torsen diff and BFG tires.
2002 ORP = 2003-up FX4.
2002 FX4 = 2003-up FX4 Level II.

Ford has since added the FX4 moniker to the F-Series as well, basically it includes a limited-slip or locker, skidplates, shocks, and A/T tires.

Hope this helps. Sorry to run on.

FWIW I took my 2005 Sport Trac and built it into the FX4 Sport Trac that Ford never made. The FX4 stickers I put on the bed weren't a joke. :like:
Sponsored