Early Stages of Ranger Shopping! Question on 4x4 vs FX4!

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I posted this in the sub forum for sales and negotiating on a Ranger, but I figured I would also put it here...

I've been looking at a Ranger XL FX4 online that I like that has a MSRP of $36,710. I emailed and asked for the X-Plan pricing plus any applicable incentives. This is what I was emailed back with:

MSRP/Sales Price: 36,710.00
Rebates/Discounts: -3,523.42
Sales Price: 33,168.58
GATVT (tax): +2,203.38
Tag & Title Fee: +144.00
Dealer Service Charge: +100.00
Total: 35,633.96

Forgive me if I'm wrong, I've always heard from folks that X-Plan pricing is a pretty good deal and is better than what you can get at any dealership with their incentives and sales prices. I looked at basically the same Ranger XL FX4 in a different color at a different dealership with some accessories added on, WITHOUT X-PLAN PRICING, and this is how it broke down:

MSRP: 36,970.00
Discount: -3,885.00
Rebate: -2,500.00
"Good to Go Package" (floor mats, tinted windows, bed cover) +1,777.00
GATVT (Tax): +2,191.86
EFT Fee (????): +149.00
Dealer Service Charge: +699.00
Title Fee: +18.00
Registration Fee; +25.00
MVWR Fee (????) +3.00
Total: 35,447.86

The X-Plan looks like a rip-off if I can get what is basically the same exact truck in a different color with dealer added accessories for almost $200.00 less! Am I missing something here?

NOTE: I wouldn't pay that for the bottom truck anyways. That price seems too high.
Sponsored

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I posted this in the sub forum for sales and negotiating on a Ranger, but I figured I would also put it here...

I've been looking at a Ranger XL FX4 online that I like that has a MSRP of $36,710. I emailed and asked for the X-Plan pricing plus any applicable incentives. This is what I was emailed back with:

MSRP/Sales Price: 36,710.00
Rebates/Discounts: -3,523.42
Sales Price: 33,168.58
GATVT (tax): +2,203.38
Tag & Title Fee: +144.00
Dealer Service Charge: +100.00
Total: 35,633.96

Forgive me if I'm wrong, I've always heard from folks that X-Plan pricing is a pretty good deal and is better than what you can get at any dealership with their incentives and sales prices. I looked at basically the same Ranger XL FX4 in a different color at a different dealership with some accessories added on, WITHOUT X-PLAN PRICING, and this is how it broke down:

MSRP: 36,970.00
Discount: -3,885.00
Rebate: -2,500.00
"Good to Go Package" (floor mats, tinted windows, bed cover) +1,777.00
GATVT (Tax): +2,191.86
EFT Fee (????): +149.00
Dealer Service Charge: +699.00
Title Fee: +18.00
Registration Fee; +25.00
MVWR Fee (????) +3.00
Total: 35,447.86

The X-Plan looks like a rip-off if I can get what is basically the same exact truck in a different color with dealer added accessories for almost $200.00 less! Am I missing something here?

NOTE: I wouldn't pay that for the bottom truck anyways. That price seems too high.

It looks like they both are showing MSRP as the starting point. X plan would be less. Also plan rules limit the dealer service charges like the 699. on on the second quote. Dealers are not required to participate in AXZ plans and some don't. But if they do, they must follow the rules. Some would not tell you what X plan price is unless you had a PIN # because that gives you an idea of what they have in it. Also any factory incentives are discounted from the X plan price. Here is a sample invoice that will give you an idea about how the plan works

Invoice mod no dealer.jpg

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like they both are showing MSRP as the starting point. X plan would be less. Also plan rules limit the dealer service charges like the 699. on on the second quote. Dealers are not required to participate in AXZ plans and some don't. But if they do, they must follow the rules. Some would not tell you what X plan price is unless you had a PIN # because that gives you an idea of what they have in it. Also any factory incentives are discounted from the X plan price. Here is a sample invoice that will give you an idea about how the plan works
So for that first quote, I provided them with my X-Plan PIN. That bottom quote was built straight off the MSRP without X-Plan pricing for sure.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
So for that first quote, I provided them with my X-Plan PIN. That bottom quote was built straight off the MSRP without X-Plan pricing for sure.
silly question, but why were the same dollar amounts of rebates not added in to the first quote?" Just because you are getting x-plan pricing doesn't mean you shouldn't get any applicable rebates.

Have them break it down item by item. Make them break down the discounts and rebates. Not from the MSRP, but from the X-plan price.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
silly question, but why were the same dollar amounts of rebates not added in to the first quote?" Just because you are getting x-plan pricing doesn't mean you shouldn't get any applicable rebates.

Have them break it down item by item. Make them break down the discounts and rebates. Not from the MSRP, but from the X-plan price.
In the first quote, from DEALER 2, the rebates/discounts are in the second line of the quote.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
-$3523 in the first quote
-$6385 in the 2nd. Some of those in the 2nd quote are not included in the first, but the price is similar.

Love that dealer shell game

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
If you go to this website it should tell you what rebates will be in effect with your plan, and the model you are interested in.
https://www.myplan.ford.com/myplanweb/myplanlogin.do

I was told to negotiate first because there is a possibility that a dealer and some rebates could potentially offer you a better deal.

Also some dealers pay for a program that lets them know when someone in their or a nearby zip code has received a pin.

It's a game alright.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm crushed. I negotiated a very nice deal on a truck equipped exactly how I wanted it (XL with STX and FX4 and tow package). It was nice looking in black with the "carbon black" bumpers. But the stock market going crazy started getting my wife nervous. On top of that the financial strain the company my wife works for is seeing is really putting her on edge. Hopefully this crap ends soon and we can see some financial recovery because I really like these Rangers.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It appears I may have to make some compromises in order to keep my wife happier (she's still unhappy) buying a Ranger. She suggested I talk to her good friend's husband who is a salesman for a local Car Max.

So I called him and told him of a truck that caught my eye on the Car Max website. He went ahead and called the store where it's at and had someone look over the truck and report back to him on it's condition, and he went ahead and put in an order to have it sent down from TN. It's a crew cab 2019 XLT in Magnetic gray, it has 13,000 miles, and looks really clean. It has the FX4 package on it and only lacks the tow package I require. But, I can do the tow stuff for around $200. I'm thinking about using a Curtis hitch and OEM wiring harness and plug receptacle. I will be out the door at almost $30,000.

Fingers crossed everything goes well. I'm tired of driving a 22 year old Ford Explorer that rattles a lot.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It appears I may have to make some compromises in order to keep my wife happier (she's still unhappy) buying a Ranger. She suggested I talk to her good friend's husband who is a salesman for a local Car Max.

So I called him and told him of a truck that caught my eye on the Car Max website. He went ahead and called the store where it's at and had someone look over the truck and report back to him on it's condition, and he went ahead and put in an order to have it sent down from TN. It's a crew cab 2019 XLT in Magnetic gray, it has 13,000 miles, and looks really clean. It has the FX4 package on it and only lacks the tow package I require. But, I can do the tow stuff for around $200. I'm thinking about using a Curtis hitch and OEM wiring harness and plug receptacle. I will be out the door at almost $30,000.

Fingers crossed everything goes well. I'm tired of driving a 22 year old Ford Explorer that rattles a lot.
Without the tow package, the tow rating on the ranger is 3500 pounds. If it's a requirement, I'd look for one with the tow package.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../pdf/guides/19Towing_Ford_Ranger_r1_Jan29.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Without the tow package, the tow rating on the ranger is 5000 pounds. If it's a requirement, I'd look for one with the tow package.
Your kidding me. F--- me. :(

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I double checked, its worse than I thought, only 3500 pounds. I linked my source in the edit

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I double checked, its worse than I thought, only 3500 pounds. I linked my source in the edit
Is that on the bumper though? If I install a Class III hitch I should be capable of towing up to the maximum capability of the truck as long as the hitch is rated as high or higher, right?

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
From your link: "• Do not exceed trailer weight of 3,500 lbs. when towing with bumper only. "

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Is that on the bumper though? If I install a Class III hitch I should be capable of towing up to the maximum capability of the truck as long as the hitch is rated as high or higher, right?
As long as you install a Class III or IV hitch and a brake controller you can tow 7500 lbs. There is nothing in the tow package that increases the tow limit.
Sponsored