Engine Sound

RIRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Vehicle Showcase
I hear that Lariat engine cover is available through the parts department for about $53. I plan to get on for my XLT
Just picked up the engine cover from my dealer for my XLT. List price is $45, dealer charged me $30. 4 bolts with nuts, list is 6.50 each, dealer charged me 3.50 each. $47 total after tax.

You don't really need all 4 bolts. Two are used to hold down the cover, one is used as a support on the left side and the fourth one I couldn't find a place for it at first. Then I found a thread about 6 inches behind the cover so I put the fourth one there. Doesn't even touch the cover, serves no purpose, but I just left it there anyway.

Now the engine is saying: "This cover completes me." :handsinair:
Sponsored

LARanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Hybrid
Just picked up the engine cover from my dealer for my XLT. List price is $45, dealer charged me $30. 4 bolts with nuts, list is 6.50 each, dealer charged me 3.50 each. $47 total after tax.

You don't really need all 4 bolts. Two are used to hold down the cover, one is used as a support on the left side and the fourth one I couldn't find a place for it at first. Then I found a thread about 6 inches behind the cover so I put the fourth one there. Doesn't even touch the cover, serves no purpose, but I just left it there anyway.

Now the engine is saying: "This cover completes me." :handsinair:
Did it help with the noise?

RIRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Vehicle Showcase
Did it help with the noise?
Maybe a slight bit quieter inside the cabin. Engine wasn't that loud to begin with, sounds like a four cylinder.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
You guys talking about sound like this?

Saw that video recently and then this thread. Thought I'd share the funny. :LOL:

I don't remember the Ranger I test drove a few months back having a louder than normal startup noise. Can not be near as bad as the secondary air injection pump on my old Jetta. That thing sounds like a garage wet / dry vacuum cleaner until it goes through it's warm up process first drive of the day.

Julie dominesey

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt fx4 and a 2018 Ford f 150 xlt fx4
I hear that Lariat engine cover is available through the parts department for about $53. I plan to get on for my XLT
The cover really helps .. I bought mine from the dealer it was easy to install .. it still roars st take off .. that’s not engine it’s the fan .. I think it does this to really try to push more air through the intercooler

413FF1A8-D71F-480C-B648-618008213B5B.jpeg

LARanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Hybrid
The cover really helps .. I bought mine from the dealer it was easy to install .. it still roars st take off .. that’s not engine it’s the fan .. I think it does this to really try to push more air through the intercooler

413FF1A8-D71F-480C-B648-618008213B5B.jpeg
Does anyone have the part number for the cover? Would love to order one ourselves

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
I'm curious what my engine is "supposed" to sound like. When I am driving around town, taking it easy on the throttle without the radio on, I can hear two distinct sounds from the engine compartment. I hear the low, throaty sound of the engine and I hear a clicking sound. The clicking speeds up and slows down with RPM and even goes away sometimes (not just when I let off the gas). The interior is very quiet so both sounds get muted a bit but the clicking sound stands out and drives me batty. What do you guys hear when you are driving?
I agree, the clicking sound is a little annoying and seemingly out of place. I won’t mind at all if they replace it under warranty soon as I saw someone else post.

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
I recorded this audio from under the hood. Is this the DI click? Is this considered atypically loud? Nothing to see on the video.

@EcoRanger
Wow, that’s crazy loud. I would have been concerned that something was wrong. Plus it would drive me nuts.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
I have NOT heard the clicking sound on my ranger.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have NOT heard the clicking sound on my ranger.
I heard it yesterday for the first time with the hood open. I never heard it before.

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Im bringing this thread back from the dead, i just find it hard to believe that knocking noise is supposed to be that distinct, but mine sounds just like the video posted in this thread and its not a clicking sound, i hear that also, its a knocking sound. Im i crazy, can anyone else confirm the volume and sound, maybe a new video ? ill see if i can figure out how to post mine :inspect:

Last edited:

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
Im bringing this thread back from the dead, i just find it hard to believe that knocking noise is supposed to be that distinct, but mine sounds just like the video posted in this thread and its not a clicking sound, i hear that also, its a knocking sound. Im i crazy, can anyone else confirm the volume and sound, maybe a new video ? ill see if i can figure out how to post mine :inspect:

I've just come to accept the previous explanation that it's the injectors running in split-shot mode. They apparently don't run in it all the time it's dependent on factors such as temperature. This should be evident in other vehicles running the same engine but the noise isolation on those models might be better.

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase
I've just come to accept the previous explanation that it's the injectors running in split-shot mode. They apparently don't run in it all the time it's dependent on factors such as temperature. This should be evident in other vehicles running the same engine but the noise isolation on those models might be better.
Yeah, ive posted this elsewhere also and its fairly unanimous, the sound is from the fuel injectors and its loud and thats just how it is, which is fine with me because i cant hear it when im driving the truck, my concern was that I had a bad motor with a knock at 600 miles :crying:. But like most things i deal with, im overthinking it o_O

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
After installing the AFE hot and cold charge pipes and blow off valve all I hear is turbo whine, whoosh, and Psshhhhhht!!

Sounds much better in my humble opinion! :D
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc