RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Cover or not, the engine is loud on start off.
I believe most of that is due to the engine fan. And yes, it is pretty loud!
Sponsored

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Glad to hear that sound is normal, I have heard it too. With the windows down I can hear a fast clicking and a subtle whine. My understanding is that the whine is from the transmission. I actually think it sounds kind of neat, and it pairs well with the sound of the turbo (the quiet, real sound, not the piped-in garbage). Otherwise I still can't believe how quiet the Ranger is.

OP
OP
RangerCat

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I recorded this audio from under the hood. Is this the DI click? Is this considered atypically loud? Nothing to see on the video.

@EcoRanger
Yes, I have the load clicking noise also. What I dislike the most, however, is the "other" clicking noise I get inside the cab. At first I thought it was that same engine clicking but just muted because the cab is so quiet but now it sounds more like a heat shield that is loose and vibrating. Instead of being a constant click, it comes and goes. It gets quieter and then louder and then sometimes just stops or starts again. After the truck is warmed up, I don't hear it as prominently but it is always there.

jhgr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
when I first start my truck and then for about maybe 50 yards of travel I have what sounds like heavy fan noise then it stops and the engine is very quiet. Anyone else experience this?
My lariat does the same thing, sounds like shutters close and then open, extra loud for about 50 or 60 yards then gets quiet.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
My lariat does the same thing, sounds like shutters close and then open, extra loud for about 50 or 60 yards then gets quiet.
Ditto here.

OP
OP
RangerCat

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Ditto here.
I have also noticed that the truck shutters a little when I have just started and am slowly backing out of the garage. It's like the idle is not as smooth for that period of time. Once I have backed out I never feel it again but for 30 seconds or so, it seems like it is running rough.

Last edited:

Rangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I recorded this audio from under the hood. Is this the DI click? Is this considered atypically loud? Nothing to see on the video.

@EcoRanger
I have this clicking sound as well. Same for the loud fan on startup, but I expected that one to be normal.

Sounds like I should be pointing out the clicking sound to my dealer on the next oil change...

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase

@EcoRanger
Your audio sounds a bit louder than normal but that is the atypical sound of DI and the 2.3L engine.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I would take it to the dealer to check it. If they say it is normal then at least you have a record that you brought it in if later something happens.

Tommy Oberon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-Max
Vehicle Showcase
There ain’t no way that clicking is normal no matter what trim level truck you have. They need to fix it.

OP
OP
RangerCat

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I took my Ranger to my dealer today and they told me that the clicking noise is a characteristic of this engine. That does not change the fact that it's annoying as hell though. :(

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
DI pumps at their finest, get an engine cover off a lariat and it will quiet down a little, shouldn't be super audible with the hood closed, and barely noticeable when inside with the windows open.

I'd ask how close was the phone when you took the video because it does sound insanely loud. Maybe have someone record it from a standard position at operating temperature using a similar phone.

like two people with iPhone 6s put the phone on the plastic just in front of the hood latch and record 15 seconds, then compare to yours.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
DI pumps at their finest, get an engine cover off a lariat and it will quiet down a little, shouldn't be super audible with the hood closed, and barely noticeable when inside with the windows open.

I'd ask how close was the phone when you took the video because it does sound insanely loud. Maybe have someone record it from a standard position at operating temperature using a similar phone.

like two people with iPhone 6s put the phone on the plastic just in front of the hood latch and record 15 seconds, then compare to yours.
Yeah...it almost sounds like valve noise !

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Yep, sounds exactly like a lifter tick, definitely a DI pump though. It could be a bad DI pump if it's super loud, but most are pretty alarmingly loud when you're not used to DI or own a diesel.

Reactions: Doc

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase

I took that recording with the phone sitting on the lariat engine cover so in the loudest possible place. It’s barely audible, it at all, in the cab.
Sponsored