Engine Sound

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I'm curious what my engine is "supposed" to sound like. When I am driving around town, taking it easy on the throttle without the radio on, I can hear two distinct sounds from the engine compartment. I hear the low, throaty sound of the engine and I hear a clicking sound. The clicking speeds up and slows down with RPM and even goes away sometimes (not just when I let off the gas). The interior is very quiet so both sounds get muted a bit but the clicking sound stands out and drives me batty. What do you guys hear when you are driving?
Sponsored

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
The clicking sound you are hearing is the DI (direct injection) pump. It seems to be louder on the 2.3 in some Rangers than others. We compared mine to two other rangers at the dealer and mine is definitely a little louder than them. The dealer is going to change it out with a new one under warranty in the not to distance future. I'm with you as far as it being annoying, It drives me batty as well. It is worse when it is cold but it never goes away.

OP
OP
RangerCat

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
The clicking sound you are hearing is the DI (direct injection) pump. It seems to be louder on the 2.3 in some Rangers than others. We compared mine to two other rangers at the dealer and mine is definitely a little louder than them. The dealer is going to change it out with a new one under warranty in the not to distance future. I'm with you as far as it being annoying, It drives me batty as well. It is worse when it is cold but it never goes away.
Thanks for the info on that. At least I know now that it's sort of normal. :)

I will bring it up with my dealer as well. Everything else just sounds so good and then there's that clicking, screwing it all up.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same annoyance. Thanks for the info. I initially thought the noise I hear was electrical interference, like a buzz, piped in through the speakers. However leaning into a speaker doesn’t show that’s the case. I hear it primarily under low acceleration but that’s also when the car is quietest. It’s not always there but it often is. Not sure it’s the same thing. I tried to record it on my phone for you guys but it doesn’t get picked up by the microphone.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I dont hear any clicking noise. But, I came from a diesel and am half deaf to high pitch noises. Maybe the eng cover mutes that noise.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The click is the DI I have this engine in my 15 Mustang and it sounds the same

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Note it will be louder on Non-Lariat trucks because the engine cover muffles some of the noise. Same on my Focus when I took the cover off for some maintenance, I thought I had a rod knock :)

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT CA Special. Ordering a Ranger Lariat FX2 Supercab in February 2020
I hear that Lariat engine cover is available through the parts department for about $53. I plan to get on for my XLT

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
Note it will be louder on Non-Lariat trucks because the engine cover muffles some of the noise. Same on my Focus when I took the cover off for some maintenance, I thought I had a rod knock :)
The DI pump is not under the engine cover. If you are trying to quiet down the DI rapid clicking sound the engine cover will not help.

Tommy Oberon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-Max
Vehicle Showcase
when I first start my truck and then for about maybe 50 yards of travel I have what sounds like heavy fan noise then it stops and the engine is very quiet. Anyone else experience this?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
when I first start my truck and then for about maybe 50 yards of travel I have what sounds like heavy fan noise then it stops and the engine is very quiet. Anyone else experience this?
the fan runs full blast on start and then throttles back; it's normal

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I recorded this audio from under the hood. Is this the DI click? Is this considered atypically loud? Nothing to see on the video.

@EcoRanger

dcgibs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 - 4x2 SuperCrew
Yea my truck has a noise like what I say is a little weed whacker in the background. A/C blasting or music going can't really hear. But low A/C can hear. I have to take in for other issue, will have them check out the direct injection pump.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yea my truck has a noise like what I say is a little weed whacker in the background. A/C blasting or music going can't really hear. But low A/C can hear. I have to take in for other issue, will have them check out the direct injection pump.
Thanks @dcgibs , please do me a favor and report back what they say. Would like more info as well.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Cover or not, the engine is loud on start off.
Sponsored