First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
According to the sheet they gave me, they only changed the wire going to cylinder 1. It ran great for the first half of that particular tank of gas. I don't have the sheet in front of me to tell you which error code they got, I will try to update when I have that in front of me again. I will tell them about the plugs when I drop it off again tomorrow.
I hope it's not the same misfire problem 1.5L &1.6L EcoBoost Escapes are having: coolant leaking into the cylinders, usually #2 or #3. There are an awful lot of people with this problem on escape.org
It's the main reason I'm on this forum; to see how Ranger owners are faring as I plan to trade in my 2018 Escape for a Ranger. So far, nothing I've seen to turn me away.

Unless...
Sponsored

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I hope it's not the same misfire problem 1.5L &1.6L EcoBoost Escapes are having: coolant leaking into the cylinders, usually #2 or #3. There are an awful lot of people with this problem on escape.org
It's the main reason I'm on this forum; to see how Ranger owners are faring as I plan to trade in my 2018 Escape for a Ranger. So far, nothing I've seen to turn me away.

Unless...
So is this a head gasket issue (on the escape) or is there a crack somewhere? Generally on the 2.0L misfires were usually spark plugs or something terrible like a cracked piston or blown off ringlands.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
So is this a head gasket issue (on the escape) or is there a crack somewhere? Generally on the 2.0L misfires were usually spark plugs or something terrible like a cracked piston or blown off ringlands.
It seems to be the block in most cases, around the top flange between #2 & #3. Porous or miscasting is the speculation. Ford is being tight lipped, but overall pretty good with replacing short or long blocks under warranty. Some are reporting out of warranty costs at $6-8,000. I'm guessing it was a bad run of blocks, there are much fewer posts on this now compared to starting around 16-18 months ago. My 2018 Escape has the OEM 1.5L EcoBoost I4 that was built in China at Ford's partner Changan, so somewhere around August 2018 (my build date on the door sticker), some or all 1.5's were sourced from there- at least one was for sure!

OP
OP
ALranger

ALranger

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
MRI tech
Another update. After a few more weeks in the service dept, they said it was fixed and ready to go. This time they told me all they had to do was install an update on the truck, a couple of the techs drove it afterwards and no misfire. They really didn't tell me anymore details than that. I had my doubts but went to pick up my truck. He asked me to give it a quick test drive before I actually took it. The first mile was great, then it started misfiring again. This week marks the 7th week I've been without my Ranger. I only had it for 8 weeks before it went in for service. I will be calling Ford tomorrow to start a case on it as recommended by the salesman that sold me the truck. At this point, I don't want this particular truck anymore. I doubt they will want to buy it back, but I just don't trust it anymore not to leave us stranded again, possibly farther from home than the first time.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Another update. After a few more weeks in the service dept, they said it was fixed and ready to go. This time they told me all they had to do was install an update on the truck, a couple of the techs drove it afterwards and no misfire. They really didn't tell me anymore details than that. I had my doubts but went to pick up my truck. He asked me to give it a quick test drive before I actually took it. The first mile was great, then it started misfiring again. This week marks the 7th week I've been without my Ranger. I only had it for 8 weeks before it went in for service. I will be calling Ford tomorrow to start a case on it as recommended by the salesman that sold me the truck. At this point, I don't want this particular truck anymore. I doubt they will want to buy it back, but I just don't trust it anymore not to leave us stranded again, possibly farther from home than the first time.
They bought back my focus, no questions asked. All I did was insist on a same day check, which they charged me about $5 for.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I start having that problem today, same misfire when i accelerate to pass any car ... i will take it to the dealership by Monday...
Let’s see whats happens
Not to go off topic,but there is another thread on stumbling on hard acceleration. It seems what they found is condensation in the intercooler. On hard acceleration the moisture gets pulled into the intake and causes misfire. Seems like it came from the F150 forum. Fix has been to drill a small (1/16) hole at the exit side of the intercooler to let the moisture drain out. May not be the problem but symptoms sound similar. The OP does live in a humid area.

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
Did they find a solution?

OP
OP
ALranger

ALranger

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
MRI tech
I’ve been meaning to update this for months. All it ended up being was a loose connection. It’s been a while, so I don’t exactly remember what they said was loose though. My biggest complaint was how long it took the dealership to even look at my truck, they had it for a total of almost 2 months. I’ve put 15,000 miles on the truck since the fix with no problems.

If it would help anyone out, I could try to dig up the papers they gave me that said exactly where the problem was.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I’ve been meaning to update this for months. All it ended up being was a loose connection. It’s been a while, so I don’t exactly remember what they said was loose though. My biggest complaint was how long it took the dealership to even look at my truck, they had it for a total of almost 2 months. I’ve put 15,000 miles on the truck since the fix with no problems.

If it would help anyone out, I could try to dig up the papers they gave me that said exactly where the problem was.
I think if you list the connector, it would help someone out. Atleast they could tell the dealer or check themselves. this could save some headache for the customer and the dealer.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I think if you list the connector, it would help someone out. Atleast they could tell the dealer or check themselves. this could save some headache for the customer and the dealer.

I agree, and it could help out Raul now. Happy to hear they found your problem Eric.

Sauve30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I was driving my truck into work today on the highway and I accelerated hard to pass a dump truck and immediately got a shuttering sensation and the check engine light was flashing. I took it to the dealership immediately and they said the cylinder one misfire. I hope it’s as simple as a loose connection or software update. Could not imagine being without my truck for months.

PascoPatio

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
Mine has been at the dealer for 2 weeks now.

Misfire #1, overheating code. Went into limp mode pulled off, turned it off and started right back up. Temp gauge was normal. drove it home and no issue. Couple days later same thing on hard acceleration with a good amount of smoke on start up.

Mind you I am at 72k took it into the dealer and they are saying bad turbo, hope to get it back Monday.

JrRanger

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Chef
I agree, and it could help out Raul now. Happy to hear they found your problem Eric.
Yesterday i went to get my truck, they just reset the computer and the technician say that he drive it for couple of miles and everything good i asked them if he pressed the gas pedal to rush the truck and they didn’t, so as soon i took the truck from the dealership exit and i pressed the failure started happening again so i left it again so they can check again...
Sponsored