Engine "buzz" at low speeds/rpm

Hambone437

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Magnetic Gray / 2020 Explorer Limited RWD Magnetic Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Its only audible at low rpms dude.. an got more faint as mine got mis on It. All engine designs have there own unique characteristics. Hope ur running only an SN+ rated motor oil!? Motorcraft semi-syn is plenty adequate but a FULL SYNTHETIC should be mandatory on all these high tech EcoBoost engine designs. The Motocraft oils are nearly full synthetic in formulation. Run a good brand oil (Mobil1 EP/Penn Platinum/Castol Edge) & always request Motorcraft filters throughout. Most of all.. enjoy this amazing motor, its smooth powerband, performance, efficiency, quirks & synergy with the class leading 10spd auto. Keep Ford Truckin!
True it is noticeable for the most part at lower speeds, because at higher speeds there are other sounds that tend to drown out the sound of the fuel pump.
My wife just purchased a 2020 Explorer Limited with the same 2.3 motor that we have in our Ranger. While standing outside the Explorer with the engine idling, it sounds exactly the same as the Ranger with the same ā€œbuzzā€. However, when you get inside the Explorer and close the doors, the sound disappears. My thought is Ford used more sound insulation in the Explorer then in the Ranger.
I do still love my Ranger despite the sound. Itā€™s fun to drive especially after installing a tune. I agree with what you said about the oil too. I changed the oil myself right at 5k miles with full synthetic motor oil. When I take it to Ford for the 10k service I will make sure they use full synthetic and not the blend. Right now, there is no other truck I would rather have, and Iā€™ve owned several over the years.
Sponsored

Danny Ramirez

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX FX4
Iā€™ve got 15,000 miles now on my ranger.. the sound has either gone away or I just got used to it. Either way it no longer bothers me and isnā€™t an issue .

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 crew cab
I got the latest tcm calibration software loaded a month back and no buzz/clutter ever since.
Good to know! Thanks. Mine isnt really very much at all or I'm used to it. Truck just runs great an enjoy driving it every day! I will stop by my selling dealer here in Ohio soon an check on this update . Hope fella that was concerned with this reads ur reply.

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 PKG
Occupation
Sales
I did read it, I was actually working. But yes I will be looking in to this. I love my truck and will have my dealership look at it.

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True it is noticeable for the most part at lower speeds, because at higher speeds there are other sounds that tend to drown out the sound of the fuel pump.
My wife just purchased a 2020 Explorer Limited with the same 2.3 motor that we have in our Ranger. While standing outside the Explorer with the engine idling, it sounds exactly the same as the Ranger with the same ā€œbuzzā€. However, when you get inside the Explorer and close the doors, the sound disappears. My thought is Ford used more sound insulation in the Explorer then in the Ranger.
I do still love my Ranger despite the sound. Itā€™s fun to drive especially after installing a tune. I agree with what you said about the oil too. I changed the oil myself right at 5k miles with full synthetic motor oil. When I take it to Ford for the 10k service I will make sure they use full synthetic and not the blend. Right now, there is no other truck I would rather have, and Iā€™ve owned several over the years.
Hope you enjoy that sweet '20 Explorer! MY fiance very much wants a '20 Explorer ST soon ..as her VW atlas lease is up an she really wants a Ford ;) Loves driving my '19 Ranger. We looked at dealer inventory other day lots avail at moment. Pls see the guys response to ur concern..he says a flash update is avail now. Hope that helps ya.

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well thatā€™s good. I donā€™t have that kind of relationship with my sales guy so Iā€™d feel weird asking. If you drove 2 on the lot and they both do it. I guess I just need to make sure the stereo is on. :)
There a flash update avail. Call ur selling dealer service dept. Enjoy that truck.. there is no better mid size avail. Be sure use SN+ full synthetic motor oil.. any good brand.. an only motorcraft filters If possible. Insist at dealer or wherever. Or do as I do in NW Ohio & frequent same (good privately owned) quick lube place that allows me bring all my own oils/filters. :) Keep truckin!

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thing is ..the Motorcraft Syn Blend Is excellent as far as the "syn blend" oils go. SN+ rated now too! I tell alot of folks if your great about your vehicle maintenance schedules use it! Just dont ever go over 5k mis (esp in turbo DI apps) ! It's well known on bobistheoilguy.com its a terrific oil for $.. ppl owning non Fords buy it often on there as many Chevy, Toyota, Honda etc ppl well aware of quality/ bang for buck quotient. Learned alot on that site! Same goes for motorcraft filters (oil or air). Very high quality at great price (again as long as you dont try running extreme OCIs) . EcoBoost are high -performance designs In every way thus have specific requirements. I personally along w/friends & family use an SN+ FULL SYNTHETIC.. cant go wrong for just few bucks more. Pennzoil Platinum or Penn Ultra Platinum my go to stuff! Walmart.com has great prices shipped to my door. Keep truckin!

Simplemann14

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger stx
Occupation
Retired
So whenever I accelerate the second my foot touches the gas I get a buzz almost like audio static or an electrical crackle that's different and louder than the engine up to maybe 4000 rpm. At higher speeds its not noticeable, but its all I can hear up to maybe 20 mph.

Quirk in the engine or something going on?
This buzz is at idle too, when the rpm goes up you hear it , when the instant the rpm comes down it stops. We have to get ford to fix this,I never had any noises in my spot trac 4.0

Simplemann14

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger stx
Occupation
Retired
So whenever I accelerate the second my foot touches the gas I get a buzz almost like audio static or an electrical crackle that's different and louder than the engine up to maybe 4000 rpm. At higher speeds its not noticeable, but its all I can hear up to maybe 20 mph.

Quirk in the engine or something going on?
Itā€™s not like a radio noise, itā€™s more like upper Valve train.

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This buzz is at idle too, when the rpm goes up you hear it , when the instant the rpm comes down it stops. We have to get ford to fix this,I never had any noises in my spot trac 4.0
Its slight an if you read this thread thoroughly u will learn there's a quick reflash at ur friendly buying dealership help less this benign low rpm only characteristic of our excellent class leading 2.3L powertrain. Hope urconsistantly utilizing ONLY an SN+ rated motor oil for the high tech TGDI 2.3L EcoBoost. Motorcraft semi-syn meets this new requirement & is great for 5000mi max intervals but most of us Ranger owners/ EcoBoost fans run SN+ FULL SYNTHETIC 5w30 or 0w30 oil for few bucks more... check walmart.com for great pricing (any major brand). Still never exceed 7500mis many will tell you (preferably less mis ..as all turbos very hard on oil). Personally, with auto industry & mechanical engineering background 25+yrs i can attest to quality/value of Motorcraft oil /air filters. Bobistheoilguy.com can give you much info as they are true lubrication / filtering geeks as am i that test EVERYTHING. God bless from Ohio USA!

PM82

First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wildtrak biturbo
Thats it!!! Gear chatter they claim and no fix. I get it at 40klms to 60klms and a shuddering booming noise also. Just about to go legal and request a replacement car or money back
James, I got the latest tcm reflash/ calibration software and the shuddering noise stopped. Regards

Fhatmatt

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Occupation
Maintenance
How do you go about requesting a tcm reflash? And what build date do you have?