Engine "buzz" at low speeds/rpm

Steveman84

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lriat
I just recently noticed this noise. Kinda made me paranoid. Then I found this thread and read that everyone is kind of noticing it too. So I went to the dealer and drove an xlt and a lariat and me and my salesman that lets me take whatever I want out, both confirmed that they all make it. So made me feel a little better about it.
Well thatā€™s good. I donā€™t have that kind of relationship with my sales guy so Iā€™d feel weird asking. If you drove 2 on the lot and they both do it. I guess I just need to make sure the stereo is on. :)
Sponsored

Hambone437

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Magnetic Gray / 2020 Explorer Limited RWD Magnetic Gray
Vehicle Showcase
I just recently noticed this noise. Kinda made me paranoid. Then I found this thread and read that everyone is kind of noticing it too. So I went to the dealer and drove an xlt and a lariat and me and my salesman that lets me take whatever I want out, both confirmed that they all make it. So made me feel a little better about it.
My wife and I were shopping for a new car for her and we looked at a 2020 Explorer that has the same engine as our Ranger. With the hood open on the Explorer, it sounds exactly the same as the Ranger, with the loud buzz sound. However, from inside the Explorer with all the doors closed, the buzz sound canā€™t be heard (unless youā€™re listening really hard for it). I wonder if it has something to do with sound insulation at the firewall? Maybe Ford should consider adding, or improving sound insulation.

James Gorry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Wildtrack
So whenever I accelerate the second my foot touches the gas I get a buzz almost like audio static or an electrical crackle that's different and louder than the engine up to maybe 4000 rpm. At higher speeds its not noticeable, but its all I can hear up to maybe 20 mph.

Quirk in the engine or something going on?
I have new 2.0lt Bi turbo Wildtrack in Australia, 800klms old and gear chatter. It sounds like a ball bearing running fast in a can of beer. Under load the gears chatter. Dealership told me it is the PCM Powertrain Control Module Transmission Module. Engineering at FORD are aware of the chatter in gear box . A future fix possible but suck it up. They updated the software and told me no fix. Talking to my lawyer now.

eBikeHauler

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.edisonbicycles.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Edison Electric Bike Co.
My wife and I were shopping for a new car for her and we looked at a 2020 Explorer that has the same engine as our Ranger. With the hood open on the Explorer, it sounds exactly the same as the Ranger, with the loud buzz sound. However, from inside the Explorer with all the doors closed, the buzz sound canā€™t be heard (unless youā€™re listening really hard for it). I wonder if it has something to do with sound insulation at the firewall? Maybe Ford should consider adding, or improving sound insulation.
I agree. The buzz/tick is somehow amplified in the cabin. I added the engine cover and it reduced the noise a bit. Ford REALLY needs to resolve this - a new truck at THIS price should NOT sound this bad..

PM82

First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wildtrak biturbo
Hello,

Loaded a clip with the shuttering sound.
Is this similar to what you hear?

I drive the 2019 wildtrak biturbo 10 speed - based in Namibia Windhoek.

PM82

First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wildtrak biturbo
Hello,

Loaded a clip with the shuttering sound.
Is this similar to what you hear?

I drive the 2019 wildtrak biturbo 10 speed - based in Namibia Windhoek.

Shuttering starts @ 14s into clip.

James Gorry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shuttering starts @ 14s into clip.
Thats it!!! Gear chatter they claim and no fix. I get it at 40klms to 60klms and a shuddering booming noise also. Just about to go legal and request a replacement car or money back

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thats it!!! Gear chatter they claim and no fix. I get it at 40klms to 60klms and a shuddering booming noise also. Just about to go legal and request a replacement car or money back
Hi James,

Manual trans? If so, there is a clutch disk tuning that can fix...if an automatic...all bets are off...Your boom, is it with drive's window down? If so, does it go away with window up? if so, then this is a Helmholz resonance which can not be fixed unless you roll down another window a bit. Being a primarily US set of forums, many folks here may not be familiar with WildTrack. When wife and I spent two months last year in NZ and AUS, we engaged many Wildtrack owners and learned how different the ROW was with the US Ranger. That said, when I was at Ford we had the ROW Ranger responsibility, but differed the engineering to the Ford AUS folks for the most part. I shared my expertise in NVH, but AUS engineers took the lead. Hope you can resolve this concern...Please feed a bit more data and I will try to help as much as I am able.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

James Gorry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi James,

Manual trans? If so, there is a clutch disk tuning that can fix...if an automatic...all bets are off...Your boom, is it with drive's window down? If so, does it go away with window up? if so, then this is a Helmholz resonance which can not be fixed unless you roll down another window a bit. Being a primarily US set of forums, many folks here may not be familiar with WildTrack. When wife and I spent two months last year in NZ and AUS, we engaged many Wildtrack owners and learned how different the ROW was with the US Ranger. That said, when I was at Ford we had the ROW Ranger responsibility, but differed the engineering to the Ford AUS folks for the most part. I shared my expertise in NVH, but AUS engineers took the lead. Hope you can resolve this concern...Please feed a bit more data and I will try to help as much as I am able.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil,
Interesting content. Mine is an Auto :-( the boom resonance only happens at 40 klms with windows closed. Its volume increases and only stops when you accelerate. I have had enough. My kids call my car Chitty chitty bang bang. Ford loaned me a Ranger Wildtrack (same as mine) and no chatter or booming. I have a Mustang and love Ford BUT this is going to go legal. They have no fix. My car is made in Indonesia I believe. The claimed the PCM Powertrain Control Module Transmission Module is the issue and engineering at FORD are aware of the chatter in gear box in some owners. Mine is real bad . A future fix possible but suck it up. I hope the car actually breaks down so I can get more action. I love FORD but my patience has run out. Will keep you posted.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Phil,
Interesting content. Mine is an Auto :-( the boom resonance only happens at 40 klms with windows closed. Its volume increases and only stops when you accelerate. I have had enough. My kids call my car Chitty chitty bang bang. Ford loaned me a Ranger Wildtrack (same as mine) and no chatter or booming. I have a Mustang and love Ford BUT this is going to go legal. They have no fix. My car is made in Indonesia I believe. The claimed the PCM Powertrain Control Module Transmission Module is the issue and engineering at FORD are aware of the chatter in gear box in some owners. Mine is real bad . A future fix possible but suck it up. I hope the car actually breaks down so I can get more action. I love FORD but my patience has run out. Will keep you posted.
Hi James,

Time to get a Ford Customer Service complaint initiated. Demand a Field Service Engineer evaluate. Do not take the dealer for granted. Your owners manual should have the contact information and I encourage you to call, text, or email, or all three to the contact information. I hate to see someone blown off by the dealer. Likely you have described a driveshaft imbalance in all likeyhood or a powertrain induced condition that can be resolved by a neutralization process, where they loosen up the engine mounts, trans mount, exhaust to engine attachment and start the engine, shift into drive, neutral. Then bounce the vehicle aggressively up and down. Then tighten all the loose attachments and evaluate. Not sure but this just may help. One thing you can do quickly as with the engine at idle, sit in the vehicle with the engine running. Have another person put their foot on the exhaust tailpipe and try to step into the pickup box...really loading up the exhaust system...you won't hurt the truck...if you notice a change...then the likely culprit is a bound up exhaust. To blow you off as the dealer did merits a Ford Customer complaint and a demand for resolution. Best of luck to you.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

James Gorry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi James,

Time to get a Ford Customer Service complaint initiated. Demand a Field Service Engineer evaluate. Do not take the dealer for granted. Your owners manual should have the contact information and I encourage you to call, text, or email, or all three to the contact information. I hate to see someone blown off by the dealer. Likely you have described a driveshaft imbalance in all likeyhood or a powertrain induced condition that can be resolved by a neutralization process, where they loosen up the engine mounts, trans mount, exhaust to engine attachment and start the engine, shift into drive, neutral. Then bounce the vehicle aggressively up and down. Then tighten all the loose attachments and evaluate. Not sure but this just may help. One thing you can do quickly as with the engine at idle, sit in the vehicle with the engine running. Have another person put their foot on the exhaust tailpipe and try to step into the pickup box...really loading up the exhaust system...you won't hurt the truck...if you notice a change...then the likely culprit is a bound up exhaust. To blow you off as the dealer did merits a Ford Customer complaint and a demand for resolution. Best of luck to you.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil I have raised a CRC with Ford Australia and there is a case open. The dealer needed to raise a technical ticket but apparently FORD Australia whom I spoke to said the dealer didnt do it. I am now waiting to drop my truck back for this engineer to evaluate. Really love your time and effort to assist. Will try exhaust trick now and see how it goes. Thanks again James

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 PKG
Occupation
Sales
So 1100 miles and I have heard the buzzing. After reading all of the comments it looks like this is normal Iā€™m guessing.

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 crew cab
So 1100 miles and I have heard the buzzing. After reading all of the comments it looks like this is normal Iā€™m guessing.
Normal characteristic of that engine. Doesnt sound bad but I noticed . Seems get more faint as motor breaks in .. or I notice less. Lol. Just keep breaking it in easy an switch to a good SN+ rated FULL SYNTHETIC 5w30 asap ! I did at 850mis. Still use only Motorcraft filters they are very good. After 1st early oil change went to 5000mi (max) change interval . Engine near silent at idle purrrrrrrrs an runs excellent. This is a very good engine design. Enjoy!

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 crew cab
Iā€™m with you Steveman84. It sounds horrible and the buzz is completely, totally, and unmistakably there all the time. I live in Northern California, and even on 100Ā°+ days, the buzz is always the same. For me, the outside temp changed nothing. After 5k miles, Iā€™m somewhat use to the sound, but I still donā€™t like it. My wife canā€™t stand it and itā€™s all she hears when we are traveling somewhere. Itā€™s a sound that will eventually cause me to get rid of this truck which, other then the buzz from the fuel pump, I absolutely love. I keep hoping Ford recognizes the annoying buzz as an issue but Iā€™m not holding out hope that they care.
Its only audible at low rpms dude.. an got more faint as mine got mis on It. All engine designs have there own unique characteristics. Hope ur running only an SN+ rated motor oil!? Motorcraft semi-syn is plenty adequate but a FULL SYNTHETIC should be mandatory on all these high tech EcoBoost engine designs. The Motocraft oils are nearly full synthetic in formulation. Run a good brand oil (Mobil1 EP/Penn Platinum/Castol Edge) & always request Motorcraft filters throughout. Most of all.. enjoy this amazing motor, its smooth powerband, performance, efficiency, quirks & synergy with the class leading 10spd auto. Keep Ford Truckin!

PM82

First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wildtrak biturbo
I got the latest tcm calibration software loaded a month back and no buzz/clutter ever since.
Sponsored