Adjusting electronic brake controller

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I have the Ford brake controller, or at least the one that the Ford dealer installed. I'm picking up my trailer tomorrow. Never towed a camper before. Is there an adjustment of the controller and, if so, how do you do it.

Thanks for helping this newbie.
Sponsored

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Ford brake controller, or at least the one that the Ford dealer installed. I'm picking up my trailer tomorrow. Never towed a camper before. Is there an adjustment of the controller and, if so, how do you do it.

Thanks for helping this newbie.
If you have the FORD accessory Trailer Brake kit, it is the RedArc brake kit. There is a small knob / dial that lights up(LED) when you hook up your trailer. The system will "learn" your braking over the first few brake applications ( up to 10 may be required ) You will notice the LED change color, once that has happened it has "learned" your braking and is automatically adjusted. The nice thing about the FORD RedArc kit is it integrates into the braking system properly, meaning anytime the Ranger needs to emergency brake, it also applies the trailer brake. It works great - I've had to test it out once already !

OP
OP
JonB

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Yes, that's the controller I have. Is there any adjustment of do I leave it up to it's own devices? And can you activate the trailer brakes apart from the truck brakes, perhaps by pushing the control button?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Yes, that's the controller I have. Is there any adjustment of do I leave it up to it's own devices? And can you activate the trailer brakes apart from the truck brakes, perhaps by pushing the control button?
Yes, you can apply the trailer brakes manually by pushing the control button. You also need to adjust the control button/knob to balance the trailer brakes to the truck brakes. It is called brake bias and needs to be adjusted for trailer weight. Higher number more braking from the trailer, lower number less. I would start with it I the middle. If it feels like the trailer is dragging you to a stop lower it a little, if it feels like the trailer is pushing you raise it. Once you have it set, remember the number. It shouldn't need to change unless you change trailers or loading.

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
I had the same one installed. I wanted to have it if I ever need it. But with that hasn't had the opportunity to use an adjustable trailer brake before the other day.

I drove a F350 with an empty trailer and the gain was all the way up. Skidded the tires before I noticed so I turned it down. Ended up with it all the way down since the trailer was empty. Glad I got that experience so I'll be better prepared for when I get a trailer.

Can't add to anything the others said, just hoping my newbie experience might help a little.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I had the same one installed. I wanted to have it if I ever need it. But with that hasn't had the opportunity to use an adjustable trailer brake before the other day.

I drove a F350 with an empty trailer and the gain was all the way up. Skidded the tires before I noticed so I turned it down. Ended up with it all the way down since the trailer was empty. Glad I got that experience so I'll be better prepared for when I get a trailer.

Can't add to anything the others said, just hoping my newbie experience might help a little.
Glad you had it happen that way around and not the other. Could have been disastrous if the gain was down with a heavily loaded trailer.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
The way I was taught to adjust it is:
Connect the trailer. Put the truck in Drive and take your foot off the brakes. Let it roll without giving it gas. Set the TBC to its lowest setting and manually engage the trailer brakes. Keep turning it up by little by little and manually engaging until you feel them start to stop the truck.

That's how I've done it with my last two vehicles and it seems to get you pretty close to where you want to be.

OP
OP
JonB

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Got the trailer yesterday. With the advice I received here I set the trailer brake in the Ranger and all worked fine. Thanks guys.
Sponsored