First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
4x4 Journalist
Did the hyper tech help with the gearing? Because I have very similar wheels but my tires are not as wide and about 0.5” smaller compared to yours. My truck feels sluggish and doesn’t want to go after this change and I can notice a huge difference in mpg. I’m going to call two Ford dealerships tomorrow and see if they can recalibrate.
No. All this does is calibrate the speedometer and allows you to enter a new gear ratio (if you actually, physically changed the gearing) to help with the calibration. With the calibration, transmission shift points may be improved, but it's always best to change to lower gears if tire size is increased. That being said, I'm not going to do that myself at this time.
Sponsored

Goodrx

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
No. All this does is calibrate the speedometer and allows you to enter a new gear ratio (if you actually, physically changed the gearing) to help with the calibration. With the calibration, transmission shift points may be improved, but it's always best to change to lower gears if tire size is increased. That being said, I'm not going to do that myself at this time.
When you upgraded your tires and wheels did you notice the truck feeling sluggish, trying to find what gear to be in?

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know if the livernois would help?
The Livernois is a tune, it will help your motor produce more horsepower and torque. That will help with sluggishness, it *might* help with fuel economy, it really depends.

You put bigger wheels on your rig, it takes more juice to turn those wheels. The tune will help offset that some. The calibrator Phil is talking about will help your speedometer/odometer register the proper speed.

OP
OP
Phil Howell

Phil Howell

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
4x4 Journalist
Do you know if the livernois would help?
Many here say the Livernois tunes work well, as does the Ford Performance Power Pack flash. The flash will add horsepower and torque, which will help. If a much larger tire size is installed, there's no substitute for lower gearing.

OP
OP
Phil Howell

Phil Howell

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
4x4 Journalist
When you upgraded your tires and wheels did you notice the truck feeling sluggish, trying to find what gear to be in?
No, I didn't. I did lose about .5-1 mpg. But I only went up one size, to LT265/70R17/C tires.

Goodrx

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
No, I didn't. I did lose about .5-1 mpg. But I only went up one size, to LT265/70R17/C tires.
I was going to go to that size but went to a 255/70/17 with a +25 mm offset no lift. I didn’t want to do any trimming/removing crash bars. I’m only 0.5 inch smaller than you. Just weird the truck is feeling this way.

OP
OP
Phil Howell

Phil Howell

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
4x4 Journalist
I was going to go to that size but went to a 255/70/17 with a +25 mm offset no lift. I didn’t want to do any trimming/removing crash bars. I’m only 0.5 inch smaller than you. Just weird the truck is feeling this way.
I don't know why your truck feels that way. Maybe the dealership can give you an answer.

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP