First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
So I have a stupid question - E85 (ethanol) appears to have a lower power/gallon output (I'm not sure what the right way to phrase that is) - meaning, it takes more gas to do the same amount of work - i.e. - your MPG will go down using E85. So why is E85 a "high performance" thing? I must be missing something.
Looks like others already answered your question, but mainly, knock resistance. You can run more timing, more boost, and push the engine further. As noted though, it does take more fuel to do so.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like others already answered your question, but mainly, knock resistance. You can run more timing, more boost, and push the engine further. As noted though, it does take more fuel to do so.
Yes, thanks everyone for the education. It makes sense - I was wondering if the alcohol might have some sort of cooling effect and apparently it does. I certainly won't be experimenting with it, but it is interesting.

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Transit bus mechanic, former Ford master tech
Vehicle Showcase
E85 has roughly a 110-112 octane rating...so you can crank your timing WAY up. More timing means you can get more power generally.
YOU CAN NOT BOOST THE TIMING!! The PCM has set tables and will not go past them no matter what the octane rating is. The PCM will back the timing off if it detects knock, or detonation, but will not keep advancing timing because it doesn't. We've been through this already. There is no advantage to running e85. there is 88,258 BTU'S in E85, there are 120,286 in gasoline. So there are about 30,000 less btu's in e85, so about 1/3 less power.

Sulli

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Automotive Interior Repair
YOU CAN NOT BOOST THE TIMING!! The PCM has set tables and will not go past them no matter what the octane rating is. The PCM will back the timing off if it detects knock, or detonation, but will not keep advancing timing because it doesn't. We've been through this already. There is no advantage to running e85. there is 88,258 BTU'S in E85, there are 120,286 in gasoline. So there are about 30,000 less btu's in e85, so about 1/3 less power.
That’s why you need a tune lol performance speaking.. e85 is the shit.

Sulli

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Automotive Interior Repair
Reading a lot of these threads it looks like if have e85 available then all I need is a tune that is setup for it. Is that true? Are there any benefits?
You need a new high pressure fuel pump that’ll run you 1600 bucks. And need to find a company that can tune for the e85. Benefit of e85 is MORE POWER. Sure you mpg sucks but e85 is also a buck cheaper than 87 out where I am in Sacramento.

literally... anyone who says not to run e85 in these trucks are misinformed and shouldn’t be listened to. EcoBoost vehicles are pushing crazy numbers when switched to e85.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
E85 can be great for boosted vehicles, but honestly for a daily driven truck, it's probably not worth the hassle. Are you willing to put up with the terrible gas mileage, testing fuel, swapping tunes, planning road trips around E85 stations, cold starts, carrying fuel jugs, all just to putter around town? If so go for it, but personally id just get a good 91/93 tune and maybe a torco/boostane tune for nights you want to beat on it and call it a day.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
This has got to be one of the most divided subjects on the forum. You have the all out more power geeks. Then there are the off-roaders,overlanders and the daily drivers. For the all out power people, with the money to spend, maybe spending that money to modify your engine to run E85 makes sense. Let them do it, it's their truck! For the rest of us, not so much. Fuel economy goes in the tank, I don't care if it is a dollar a gallon less. In some places E85 isn't even available or at least is few and far between. It just doesn't make sense for most based on a cost benefit analysis. I'll run my 91-93 octane and maybe add a tune, I have a truck not a race car.

Like every other mod on this forum, it is not whether you like it or not. It's only about what the guy doing it wants. His money, his truck, his joy. Let's not get into heated discussions over it, and just share the information.

It must be the COVID thing, I've seen too many threads devolve towards arguments lately.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
I've seen actual dyno results where in most cases E85, being significantly cheaper than race fuel AND available at more locations, is used in high compression, NON-DI applications with results near as makes no difference the same as Rocket brand race fuel.

THE ISSUE...is that the octane rating for E85 is somewhat all over the place...it can be as low as 103 and as high as 112.

Regardless...I'm happy with my 93 premium and prefer to keep anything alcohol-based in a glass, with a bit of ice, near my recliner whilst I watch my tv.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
The fastest eco mustangs in the world all run some form of corn gas and/or water/meth. It's all about reducing detonation to push your engine further. Now, I won't be doing any of that to a truck. As mentioned, there are severe tradeoffs, usually gas mileage. I'm having a hard time paying $10 more a tank for 93. I may switch back to 87 for this. My mustang has never seen anything but 93 but I may try some e30 in the future. We're finally getting a station that sells it here locally in the middle of nowhere. The magic comes from your tuner though. You have to have someone who knows how to maximize its benefits.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Let me be the first to welcome you to the internet...
Don't even start on the internet, thats been an issue for a long time. It just seems to me that lately some thread subjects here have got to the point where people have built a wall and feel their side has the only valid opinion. This goes for both sides! Sometimes to the point where one side comes close to throwing insults at the other. Let's face it, an opinion is an opinion, regardless of facts either way. No opinion is one size fits all, let's just be civil in our discussions. This E85 thing seems to be the worst as this is the second thread I've seen going this direction.

Maybe it's COVID, maybe it's the election, maybe both? Do your thing and let everyone else do theirs.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Status
Not open for further replies.