First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
I have 21 Lariat with BLISS. Thinking about putting some lights above the license plate similar to what Msfitoy did. The ones I am thinking about using function both as tail lights and brake lights. Tail lights I would connect to license plate lights. Would connecting the brake lights to the brake light lead right behind the brake light mess with tbe BLISS system? Any one know?

Thanks
Sponsored

melficeapoll

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RN
Since they operate on different circuits, i would say no. Splicing into the brake light wire should not interfere with BLISS.

OP
OP

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
Ok, may be I asked the wrong question. If you connect a tailgate light bar to the trailer plug/harness it causes problems. With that in mind, would connecting to the brake lights behind the tail light cause the same issues?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I understood what you asked. Again its hard too say because who know what the Engineers at Ford did to attempt to mess with us.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I understood what you asked. Again its hard too say because who know what the Engineers at Ford did to attempt to mess with us.
Hi Chris,

I am at a loss to definitively say it will be okay but I think it would be okay I really do not know the specifics of how Bliss works in relation to other electrical devices. My rear light strip under the tailgate caused problems until I found I had to tell the system via the steering wheel that I had a 3ft long trailer as Bliss would not work correctly with the Ranger thinking it was a much longer trailer by default

All I can say is to try it but make it such it is easily reversible to OEM if it proves to cause problems due to a change in current draw like the light strip did for me...

Best,
Phil

Dollar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL STX 4x4, Focus, Mustang, F150, MC's
Occupation
Industrial Electrician
The truck has a system that does monitor the draw of the amps on a circuit. But if you add small LED, it should work. I spliced in brake light for my topper on the exact wire you speak of and it works. I do not have blind spot sensors.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, may be I asked the wrong question. If you connect a tailgate light bar to the trailer plug/harness it causes problems. With that in mind, would connecting to the brake lights behind the tail light cause the same issues?
My trail light bar is connected to the brake/turn...it's in flash mode here but it functions as CHMSL and turn in normal mode...no issues with BLISS...

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I spliced into my tail light brake light to power my rack mounted 3rd brake light. No issues with BLIS or anything else.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
My trail light bar is connected to the brake/turn...it's in flash mode here but it functions as CHMSL and turn in normal mode...no issues with BLISS...

Sid, there are so many things I could do wrong if I tried to wire all those lights up. I'm guessing they could see you from the International Space Station if you completely lit that baby up at night. :)

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
No you won't run into any issues. A few of us are hardwired into the tail light for rear signal lights.

I will tell you if what you buy has sequential functions (like turn indicators), tapping the trailer wiring won't work properly. You'll end up with standard blinks.

Splice it in properly, don't use those T-splice connections that "bite" into the new line. Make a proper 2 to 1 connection.

Sponsored