Reagon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Building Automation
Hello All,

Does anyone have a recommendation for tire chains that are best suited to drive on Ice? Down here in DFW we get Ice only (with little or no snow) about once a year. I have the FX4 SCREW and plan to replace the Hankooks with General Grabber 265-70-17s, with no lift or level. Thanks for any help, this forum is the best!
Sponsored

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The Rangers only take chains on the rear wheels, which only does so much. I've been thinking about getting some of these, though I haven't tried them nor do I know anybody personally who has them https://autosock.us/

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
There is very little clearance between the tire and knuckle as well as the tires and crash bars at lock.

Although some members have done it, Ford warns “don’t do it”

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
When I was 16-18, I worked for a service station that had a wrecker and we would chain up in the winter. Winters in 1975 Effingham, IL were different then today, as they started in early in December and lasted a while. Snow, ice and mostly rear wheel drive land yachts meant the wrecker business was good. State Troopers would use studded tires and once in a while a stud would let lose and fly through the fender, looked like a bullet hole. I would think chains on a nice Ranger would be problematic if they would come undone while driving. Maybe if it is that icy just stay home if possible although I never had a job with that luxury.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
When I was 16-18, I worked for a service station that had a wrecker and we would chain up in the winter. Winters in 1975 Effingham, IL were different then today, as they started in early in December and lasted a while. Snow, ice and mostly rear wheel drive land yachts meant the wrecker business was good. State Troopers would use studded tires and once in a while a stud would let lose and fly through the fender, looked like a bullet hole. I would think chains on a nice Ranger would be problematic if they would come undone while driving. Maybe if it is that icy just stay home if possible although I never had a job with that luxury.
Hey Dan, I had a similar job in high school - I was the poor schmuck who spent a lot of Saturday mornings studding tires - it was fun the first time but man, tires have way too many studs! At least I got to work on my car there - the mechanics were all more than happy to teach me how to keep my ride running properly - I even learned how to operate a wrecker with a sling - fun!

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
Our wrecker was a GMC 396 5 speed with dual cherry bomb stacks, supposedly was an INDY 500 wrecker originally. My boss was pretty cool and did not give me much training, just sink or swim. Taught myself how to fix whatever came in the bay room. Can't imagine putting studs in tires, are studded tires even a thing these days?

JeeperCreeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep + Ranger Tremor
I hate chains. I would go for socks for safety and damage prevention. But I have little experience with either to give a good recommendation (none with socks)

TFL just did a review/test of options in snow recently. Type then in YouTube. If I can find a link I'll post it

It's in snow, so not a 1:1 comparison. But it shows difficulty of install with rookies.

JeeperCreeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep + Ranger Tremor
Can't imagine putting studs in tires, are studded tires even a thing these days?
I got studs on a Jeep when I was living in Pennsylvania in prep for moving to Alaska. PA tire shop was like "you live on a farm?" I guess they did like 1 set/year.

In Alaska though, everyone runs them. Well, at least 50% of folks for winter usage.

They are def fading away for good studless though

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
To start the General Grabbers wont help you in the slightest. Better yet it will make things worse on ice.

Take a look at exhibit a for example:

IMG_20191031_124229.jpg
IMG_20191031_124224.jpg

What you need is a good set of all seasons that will help a bit. If you plan to go Offroad then look at a different set of all terrains.

As for chains simply make sure they are s class rated

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I hate chains. I would go for socks for safety and damage prevention. But I have little experience with either to give a good recommendation (none with socks)

TFL just did a review/test of options in snow recently. Type then in YouTube. If I can find a link I'll post it

It's in snow, so not a 1:1 comparison. But it shows difficulty of install with rookies.
Auto socks are great but since the OP stated he doesnt deal with snow(unless it is the apocalypse down there) the socks would be a horrible idea since they will tear up quickly.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I thought they were illegal in Texas.. I was wrong..

Sec. 547.612. RESTRICTIONS ON USE AND SALE OF TIRES. (a) A solid rubber tire used on a vehicle must have rubber on the traction surface that extends above the edge of the flange of the periphery. (b) A person may not operate or move a motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer that has a metal tire in contact with the roadway, unless: (1) the vehicle is a farm wagon or farm trailer that has a gross weight of less than 5,000 pounds; and (2) the owner is transporting farm products to market, for processing, or from farm to farm. (c) A tire used on a moving vehicle may not have on its periphery a block, stud, flange, cleat, or spike or other protuberance of a material other than rubber that projects beyond the tread of the traction surface, unless the protuberance: (1) does not injure the highway; or (2) is a tire chain of reasonable proportion that is used as required for safety because of a condition that might cause the vehicle to skid.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Our wrecker was a GMC 396 5 speed with dual cherry bomb stacks, supposedly was an INDY 500 wrecker originally. My boss was pretty cool and did not give me much training, just sink or swim. Taught myself how to fix whatever came in the bay room. Can't imagine putting studs in tires, are studded tires even a thing these days?
In Canada, studs are still a thing in the jurisdictions that permit them. Those that do, only allow them during certain winter months. They are tough on the roads.
Sponsored