First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Anything but chains brother. Have you ever seen what a chain can do to a fender if it comes loose. I have, and trust me it ain't pretty. Like some have said, look for a better solution than chains. IMHO
Sponsored

Jim C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger
IMO

Icy roads are the most unsafe roads, that said 4WD is great for starting out but there is not much help stopping with them & as many have posted about studs & chains there are not many places that allow them as they tear up the roads (not like they need more help)

so "I" (on icy roads) dont drive if at all possible on them but if i must use 4WH & keep as far away as i can from others, I let any who "can drive good on ice" go past as they see fit & live to continue being a cranky old man :)

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
To start the General Grabbers wont help you in the slightest. Better yet it will make things worse on ice.

Take a look at exhibit a for example:

IMG_20191031_124229.jpg
IMG_20191031_124224.jpg

What you need is a good set of all seasons that will help a bit. If you plan to go Offroad then look at a different set of all terrains.

As for chains simply make sure they are s class rated
All seasons are the exact wrong solution; rubber compound stays too stiff to be good on ice. The only tire solution for true winter conditions are dedicated true winter tires.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hello All,

Does anyone have a recommendation for tire chains that are best suited to drive on Ice? Down here in DFW we get Ice only (with little or no snow) about once a year. I have the FX4 SCREW and plan to replace the Hankooks with General Grabber 265-70-17s, with no lift or level. Thanks for any help, this forum is the best!
Hey Reagan,

Ice is the great equalizer when it comes to tires - nothing works like you would want it to when your tires have no traction - steering, brakes, accelerator. My best recommendation for icy roads is a pair of warm slippers, a good book, and a Grand Marnier by the fire. ? ?. ?

If you’re caught out in it by surprise, slow it way down, keep your distance, then keep your distance some more, have a ton of patience, and hope the yahoos behind you do the same. I’ve seen too many vehicles make the suirrelly ride into the median or ditch as they got impatient - that slushy patch between lanes is Mother Nature‘s way of sayin “stay in your lane”. My guess is that Nissan? above found out the hard way.

As far as your choice of General Grabbers goes, I’m not disappointed in how they handle snow, rain or gravel roads. They’re wearing well also. Like anything else, they’re not meant to work the same on ice but their compound is designed to perform well at lower temperatures. All-season? Pfffft - only if it never falls below 7° C and never snows where you live. The Grabbers will also meet your off-road needs.

For the number of ice events you’ll encounter in DFW, putting on chains is going to be a PITA and doing it with frozen fingers on the side of the road will be worse. You need more than a YouTube video to get it right without a bit of experience. You’ll have to drive slow anyway and will need to remove them when you hit bare pavement again. I’m in the no chains camp on that issue.

Good luck.

Deleted member 1634

Can't imagine putting studs in tires, are studded tires even a thing these days?
Studs are illegal in a lot places, certainly here in Minnesota where winter weather persists for 6-8 months a year, because they tear up the roads as others have mentioned. Tire technology has gotten so much better that I'd say they're not really needed as much anymore. I've certainly never felt like I've needed them over the 20 years of harsh winter driving I've done.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
All seasons are the exact wrong solution; rubber compound stays too stiff to be good on ice. The only tire solution for true winter conditions are dedicated true winter tires.
You are not entirely wrong but not 100% right either. Where this guy lives a winter tire would be a waist of money as they will get worn out much faster. Also tire technology has come so far over the years that if you select a good set of all season tires will do well.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Hey Dan, I had a similar job in high school - I was the poor schmuck who spent a lot of Saturday mornings studding tires - it was fun the first time but man, tires have way too many studs! At least I got to work on my car there - the mechanics were all more than happy to teach me how to keep my ride running properly - I even learned how to operate a wrecker with a sling - fun!
Same here. Discount Tire. Stud them in the fall and take out in the spring. Made for cool burn outs though. Also great for shredding the asphalt speed bumps McDonald’s put in.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Average Tread Depth
“Summer“ ~10-11/32”
”All Season” ~11-12/32”
”All Terrain” ~14-16/32”

A/Ts can have 30-50% more tread depth and the compound wears ~50% quicker than that of non-A/Ts. Net wear figure isn’t too terrible.

So, there’s a decision to make. Is one willing to give up some tire life for great rain, snow, and off-road performance when needed and the aggressive look and stance so many folks are after? I know what my decision was - plus I get to play in the snow with confidence.

0455DFB8-4E77-483E-9140-B39CD53BA780.jpeg

If I see you stuck in a snow-filled ditch, I’ll likely haul you out - if you‘re sporting summer or “all-season” tires, I’ll make sure you’re fine and call a wrecker so you have some time to think about your decision while you’re waiting for it to arrive. ?

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
Snow chains in DFW is hilarious.

Just take it easy. Leave plenty of stopping room, don't speed.

A 3 peak mountain snowflake rated tired will work absolutely fine in a DFW storm.
Sponsored