DIY Pre-Cut Paint Protection film kits

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
Greetings. Looking in to doing the DIY precut PPF. Found a vendor online called RVinyl that does precut 3M kits.

does anyone have experience installing the precut stuff themselves? Any experiences with this vendor?

picking up the truck today and want to get ppf on it ASAP - but the labor costs for installation are pretty astronomical and it seems like a precut kit would be relatively easy.
Sponsored

Larrykime

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SCab Lariat 4X2, 2019 MX5, 2008 Expedition
Occupation
Crane Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Dinglehead

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
As one who has done the PPF as a DIY project, I would recommend having a professional do it. While mine didn't turn out bad, there are spots I didn't get adhered properly and now have black spots (where dirt has adhered to the adhesive.). It took me several hours to do basically the front of the truck and I did review several videos on how to work with it. It is definitely a skill that is learned over time, but it isn't as easy as it looks in many of the videos I don't think.

If I had it to do over again, I would have it done by a pro.

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I did most of the truck. I had an issue doing the front of the hood due to the curves so I just let that be. Just take your time and squeege out as much solution and air as you can.

Mine is by no means perfect but for the amount I put on and what I paid I am more than happy with the results.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have not done PPF, but I have done the vinyl tailgate letters. For me the more wet solution under the vinyl the better then work it out. I take pride in doing what I can myself. :like: Sometimes even paying you can get a crappie job I'm not paying for crap. Just check out as many videos as you can first.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
This is one of those things where a screw up could double your cost, I'd pay someone to do it. Otherwise, watch the videos and good luck.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I have not done PPF, but I have done the vinyl tailgate letters. For me the more wet solution under the vinyl the better then work it out. I take pride in doing what I can myself. :like: Sometimes even paying you can get a crappie job I'm not paying for crap. Just check out as many videos as you can first.
I think PPF is very different than vinyl letters. The flat spots for PPF are easy to do - it is the compound curves that are the difficult areas - getting the film to adhere completely around all the curves is where a pro has the upper hand I think. That is what takes experience to do well.

If you do attempt it yourself, I have three suggestions:
  1. Watch several videos on how to do it before starting
  2. Make sure it is warm wherever you do it (this will make the film more pliable)
  3. Use a hair dryer or heat gun on low (carefully) to help stretch the film around curves.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
@Dinglehead what color is your Ranger? If it is white or silver or some other very light color you'll have a much better chance at making the DIY PPF look good. If it is black, pay someone to do it or you're going to regret it.

I have a little experience with PPF and will be installing some Xpel PPF on my front bumper this week. I have already done the A pillars, door cups, and some parts of my fender flares. If I get this done before you, I can share where the difficult parts are.

OP
OP
Dinglehead

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
@Dinglehead what color is your Ranger? If it is white or silver or some other very light color you'll have a much better chance at making the DIY PPF look good. If it is black, pay someone to do it or you're going to regret it.

I have a little experience with PPF and will be installing some Xpel PPF on my front bumper this week. I have already done the A pillars, door cups, and some parts of my fender flares. If I get this done before you, I can share where the difficult parts are.
Cactus. So, maybe on the easier side?

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Cactus. So, maybe on the easier side?
Yeah. The lighter the better. It will help hide any dust, dry spots, stretch marks, etc.
Sponsored