First Name
lester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ranger lariat tremor... 2022 maverick lariat
Occupation
retired
I'm ordering a new 2023 as soon as possible and want a 4x4. How much difference is there between the two? Does one ''ride'' better? This will be just a grocery-getter, no ''off-roading'' for me. I'd like to have the best ride available, with the 4x4 power,, if needed. Thanks for looking at this,,,
Sponsored

OP
OP

widetrax

First Name
lester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Most who get the fx4, including myself, change out the suspension because it's very bouncy. IMO, save the $ and get the non fx4.
I was going to ge
Most who get the fx4, including myself, change out the suspension because it's very bouncy. IMO, save the $ and get the non fx4.
I was going to get the FX4 as a 4-wheel drive, then I had read a couple of threads complaining about them,,, thought I had better ask here

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
I don't go off road, and I have a non FX4 and no rear locker, it does me just fine. Even that has a bouncy ride, many folks here have swapped out the rear shocks and it helps a lot.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I'm ordering a new 2023 as soon as possible and want a 4x4. How much difference is there between the two? Does one ''ride'' better? This will be just a grocery-getter, no ''off-roading'' for me. I'd like to have the best ride available, with the 4x4 power,, if needed. Thanks for looking at this,,,
The way the salesman explained it to me, the standard 4x4 will be stiffest (probably also the least squat when loaded with X weight in the bed), FX4 next, Tremor next. The Tremor has the most pleasing ride around town and also the most articulation off road as it is the softest sprung, but will also have the most squat (to a point, as it also has a progressive rear spring package), at least, that is what the salesman said…. ;)

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
My 4X4 rides decently on the streets with the stock suspension (comparing the ride to my past three 4X4 trucks) but I haven't compared the ride with a FX4.

Last edited:

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
If you plan to do more than gravel roads fx4 and add Eibach, Bilstien or Fox in your favorite flavor. Also budget for better tires than the Hankooks. Personally I would not buy a 4x4 without at least a rear locker, but thats just me.

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
If this is just a "grocery-getter" and you don't plan on taking it off-road, what's the advantage to you to getting 4x4? Are there environmental considerations that might make it worthwhile for you to spend the extra money?

I ask, because up here in Canada, ALL trucks come with 4x4; there are no 2x4s available, because even if you never go off-roading, you'll end up having to contend with snow and ice, so 4x4 is pretty essential. I'm not sure if it's the government or market-demand that dictated this practice, since it's possible to get a car in 2wd, but I was with a friend in his RWD one winter, and we fishtailed all over the place. Even with my Ranger, I fishtailed a bit when I went out after the first real snowfall, and regularly use the 4x4 just to get out of my neighbourhood onto the major roads all winter long. My previous SUV was AWD, so I never noticed whether it was just operating as a FWD or AWD, but it definitely engaged the latter regularly during the winter.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Like others have said the Fx4 shocks are not that great. I just replaced mine with Eibach all around and it's a night and day difference. The Fx4 are so bad I can't even give them away for free. lol

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Like others have said the Fx4 shocks are not that great. I just replaced mine with Eibach all around and it's a night and day difference. The Fx4 are so bad I can't even give them away for free. lol
Use it for an oversized damper.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I went with a 4X4 Sport. XLT. Seems in the middle in shock quality but no rear locker or Trail Control. I added my own Trail Management switch so I could get the modes for snow, sand etc. The Tremor does have all the bells and whistles, improved suspension but at a premium. So depends on what options you’ll be happy with for your intended use to what you want to spend

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
If this is just a "grocery-getter" and you don't plan on taking it off-road, what's the advantage to you to getting 4x4? Are there environmental considerations that might make it worthwhile for you to spend the extra money?

I ask, because up here in Canada, ALL trucks come with 4x4; there are no 2x4s available, because even if you never go off-roading, you'll end up having to contend with snow and ice, so 4x4 is pretty essential. I'm not sure if it's the government or market-demand that dictated this practice, since it's possible to get a car in 2wd, but I was with a friend in his RWD one winter, and we fishtailed all over the place. Even with my Ranger, I fishtailed a bit when I went out after the first real snowfall, and regularly use the 4x4 just to get out of my neighbourhood onto the major roads all winter long. My previous SUV was AWD, so I never noticed whether it was just operating as a FWD or AWD, but it definitely engaged the latter regularly during the winter.
Not all. Definitely 2WD trucks in Canada. The thing driving the high take rate is the trade-in/resale market will pay the majority of the original cost of 4WD. That is because the demand for it is so high.

For the OP - just get the standard 4WD and skip the FX4.

OP
OP

widetrax

First Name
lester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Not all. Definitely 2WD trucks in Canada. The thing driving the high take rate is the trade-in/resale market will pay the majority of the original cost of 4WD. That is because the demand for it is so high.

For the OP - just get the standard 4WD and skip the FX4.
You think I would be better off with just the standard 4x4? ---- What does the ''Tremor'' have on it? And,, can I get the Tremor in a Lariat? I'm 78 now,, and this will be the last one for me, for a while

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I have an STX with the standard suspension and I'm perfectly happy with it. I don't off-road anymore but I have 4x4 for getting around in the winter and wet boat ramps with my jet ski. I have to take 12 miles of hilly windy cowpath road before I hit the main highway to get to work and 4 months a year it can be a little crazy sometimes.
The FX4 gets you skidplates, off-roady shocks that everyone complains about, and Terrain Management. TM has a snow feature but if you're any kind of a decent driver, you shouldn't need it. If I was ordering I would have got a locker but I got by fine without one for 13 years in my old Sport Trac, no limited-slip but traction control and stability control like the Ranger.
Sponsored

Last edited: