Tremor and FX4 differences

RangerTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I drive my Lariat FX4 over 600 miles per week. I have not driven my wife's Tremor in over a month. Today I drove it into work. I thought I would lay out the differences and such for those shopping for a Tremor or FX4.

- I could notice the lift as soon as I reached for the door handle to open it. I could also tell immediately upon driving the height difference.
- Suspension on the Tremor is noticeable better on the country roads and dirt roads.
- Suspension on the Tremor on interstate was not as smooth as the FX4. (I found this interesting)
- Overall the Tremor suspension has less roll and bounce. That being said, the FX4 isnt that bad. I will eventually upgrade the FX4 shocks. But no rush.
- Road noise in the Tremor noticeably more than my FX4. (I assume the more aggressive tire is to blame)
- The steps in the FX4 are nice, but I actually don't use them to get in and out of the truck. I am 5'11" and just step into the truck. Using the step makes it harder to get in the truck in my opinion. With the Tremor they stick out more and you almost have to use them or take a big step into the truck. I will say, though, that the Tremor steps are BA looking. love them. But functionally, I would probably take them off it it was my truck.
- Handling in both trucks I find just fine. The steering felt different in the Tremor for sure. But, not better or worse. Love the way these trucks handle.
- Tremor seats are very comfortable. Way softer than the leather seats in my FX4. If my wife ever goes out of town, I am going to swap them and hope she doesnt notice.
- Another thing (this is not Ford related) - my windows are tinted and hers are not. I cant tell you what a big difference that makes in how hot the truck gets while sitting out in the sun. I am not sure how dark mine are, I just told the guy doing it to match the rears. I would never go without tint..
- I almost forgot: I noticed the brakes were more responsive in the Tremor. Is that possible? I read somewhere that there is a forscan procedure (bleed the brakes without actuall bleeding) that fixes the soft braking. Maybe hers didnt need it and mine does? Or, maybe the brakes are dif on the Tremor? not sure...

If I think of anything else, I will edit. Have a great weekend everyone.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
- Tremor seats are very comfortable. Way softer than the leather seats in my FX4. If my wife ever goes out of town, I am going to swap them and hope she doesnt notice.
Let us know how that works out. I have a FX4 and it rides way nicer w/ about 400 pounds in the bed. I can't get my wife to buy a tremor to replace her explorer, or I would have by now.

OP
OP
RangerTX

RangerTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Nice to hear of the comparison on the two trucks.
Is the less roll and bounce slight or significant?
Its pretty noticeable. I cant deny it. That being said, I really dont have a problem with how the FX4 handles. Now, I have not driven a Ranger without either packages. So, I dont know if the FX4 is an improvement over , say, and XLT 4x4.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I drive my Lariat FX4 over 600 miles per week. I have not driven my wife's Tremor in over a month. Today I drove it into work. I thought I would lay out the differences and such for those shopping for a Tremor or FX4.

- I could notice the lift as soon as I reached for the door handle to open it. I could also tell immediately upon driving the height difference.
- Suspension on the Tremor is noticeable better on the country roads and dirt roads.
- Suspension on the Tremor on interstate was not as smooth as the FX4. (I found this interesting)
- Overall the Tremor suspension has less roll and bounce. That being said, the FX4 isnt that bad. I will eventually upgrade the FX4 shocks. But no rush.
- Road noise in the Tremor noticeably more than my FX4. (I assume the more aggressive tire is to blame)
- The steps in the FX4 are nice, but I actually don't use them to get in and out of the truck. I am 5'11" and just step into the truck. Using the step makes it harder to get in the truck in my opinion. With the Tremor they stick out more and you almost have to use them or take a big step into the truck. I will say, though, that the Tremor steps are BA looking. love them. But functionally, I would probably take them off it it was my truck.
- Handling in both trucks I find just fine. The steering felt different in the Tremor for sure. But, not better or worse. Love the way these trucks handle.

Good write up and info! Those contemplating on whether to spring for the extra Tremor package I think this will be very handy info for them.

I always thought the Fx4 was ok but never really thought it was great. I've never driven a regular one with the 4x4 suspension so I can't compare those two. But since changing my Fx4 out it does make a huge difference and everyone who's done the same agrees.

Okinawa Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302, 2022 Ranger XLT/Splash/FX4
Occupation
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Shop Owner

- Another thing (this is not Ford related) - my windows are tinted and hers are not. I cant tell you what a big difference that makes in how hot the truck gets while sitting out in the sun. I am not sure how dark mine are, I just told the guy doing it to match the rears. I would never go without tint..
- I almost forgot: I noticed the brakes were more responsive in the Tremor. Is that possible? I read somewhere that there is a forscan procedure (bleed the brakes without actuall bleeding) that fixes the soft braking. Maybe hers didnt need it and mine does? Or, maybe the brakes are dif on the Tremor? not sure...

Go on dirt and lock your brakes up enough to get the abs to cycle. 4-5 times made my brakes feel way better, poor mans forscan!
Sponsored