NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
Yes !! Situational deal, older couple could be bad eyesight or recent stroke. Just observe the Golden Rule. Actually I liked the idea of setting of the alarm with the Fob for a few seconds, saves the banging on glass embarrassment for the wife and accomplishes the same thing albeit anonymously. No harm no foul, just a humorous event.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Not an overreaction. Running outside and screaming .. or throwing your chair against the window would have been a bit over the top.

I had someone open the door of the car I traded for the Ranger at a grocery store once. I asked " can I help you" and the lady about shit herself. As I drove off I noticed her getting into another black hatchback. She was on the phone and half paying attention. Thought about yelling for a second but stayed calm.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
My wife tried to get into a silver Prius in the Costco parking lot until I pointed out it was missing the blue pinstripe that hers has, otherwise the same identical make model and color. Got a good laugh out of it.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I are sitting in a small town restaurant where parking is literally right out in front of the restaurant's big glass front windows. We happened to be at a table where my Ranger was visible right from our table. (I was admiring it while waiting for our food.) Then we noticed a couple who were slightly older than us approach my truck like it was nothing. Right when the woman reached for the passenger door handle, my left hand instinctively flew up and smacked the window making a loud noise, startling the woman, and making the couple realize they were about to try to get into the wrong truck. They had parked right next to us in 15 or 20 year old Taco. They looked toward us and the guy made a "sorry" gesture and proceeded to their Taco.
My wife was mad saying it was loud and rude to smack the window and scare them. What do you think?
Just a little…. Francis.

1641784745380.jpeg

1641784779552.gif

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Oh, Ronbo just beat me to Francis! Ha ha.

My truck is always locked and not much harm can come from an accidental door pull. I'd let it play out and enjoy their confusion. Maybe dbl lock the doors as they figure it out to make them jump, lol. Life's too short to send that freebee back.

Last edited:

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I've had the mistaken car identity at least twice with my 2010 Gray Fusion. Apparently, they are pretty common.
Was walking to a Gray Fusion in a parking lot and wondering why my fob wasn't opening the doors. My daughter says from behind me, "what are you doing? The car is over here." :rolleyes: It was one row over, same color and options, looked identical.
Another time, my daughter had just left in the Fusion for work or something. Less than 5 minutes later a gray Fusion comes from the opposite direction and pulls in the drive. I look out from the garage and raise my arms like' what are you doing back so soon?' while thinking it is giving her problems. My neighbor from down the street gets out and gives me a puzzled look. He had just picked it up for his son and had some question on it. We had a good laugh over it. :LOL:

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I are sitting in a small town restaurant where parking is literally right out in front of the restaurant's big glass front windows. We happened to be at a table where my Ranger was visible right from our table. (I was admiring it while waiting for our food.) Then we noticed a couple who were slightly older than us approach my truck like it was nothing. Right when the woman reached for the passenger door handle, my left hand instinctively flew up and smacked the window making a loud noise, startling the woman, and making the couple realize they were about to try to get into the wrong truck. They had parked right next to us in 15 or 20 year old Taco. They looked toward us and the guy made a "sorry" gesture and proceeded to their Taco.
My wife was mad saying it was loud and rude to smack the window and scare them. What do you think?
Sure, it could have been an honest mistake on their part, but it could also have been the old "pretend to make an honest mistake to see if the door is unlocked" routine: if it is unlocked, we get free stuff for the Holidays; if it is locked, we don't lose anything because it sure looks like "an honest mistake." How hard is it to distinguish a twenty-year-old Taco from a late model (I assume) Ranger? Smacking the window is a pretty mild reaction--it does not insult or threaten anybody, but it lets them know that somebody is watching.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
My approach would have been different. I wouldn't have smacked the window, I would have set off the alarm and laughed like crazy when they jumped. :LOL::crackup::LOL:
Then my wife would have called me an asshole.
:crackup:
done that one. my sister in law needed to leave me something while I was at work so my ranger was unlocked. happened to be looking out the right window when she closed the door.so i sent the alarm off multiple times in a row to make her jump

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
A number of years ago I drove to Napa Auto to get some parts (I owned a maroon Chevrolet Venture at the time). I walked out and hopped in what I thought was my Chevrolet Venture. It was a disgusting pit inside and I was thinking WTF. Then I realized that while I was in Napa, someone else parked next to me with the exact same vehicle and left their doors unlocked. Embarrassing, but no one else saw it happen.

On a similar note, I was getting a haircut. The place I was getting a haircut was right next to a small auto repair shop. I watched as a mechanic comes out to my vehicle and proceeded to replace the rear wiper blade with a new one. He mistakenly replaced mine instead of the one right next to mine. After my haircut, I explained what happened and was told - "No problem - It's on the house".

It happens and I feel like as I get older, it will happen even more!

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I've gone into the wrong restroom a couple of times over the years . Both times were when traveling out of state and the steakhouse was built in a mirror image to the one that I had become accustomed to . I had to quickly do my business in the first instance and the realization that there were no urinals on the wall did not compute until I was well involved . I met a waitress on the way out with the expected baffled look was on her face so I just said whatever you find in there wasn't from me and then I headed to my table . She ended up our waitress ,LOL .

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I've gone into the wrong restroom a couple of times over the years . Both times were when traveling out of state and the steakhouse was built in a mirror image to the one that I had become accustomed to . I had to quickly do my business in the first instance and the realization that there were no urinals on the wall did not compute until I was well involved . I met a waitress on the way out with the expected baffled look was on her face so I just said whatever you find in there wasn't from me and then I headed to my table . She ended up our waitress ,LOL .
You see, nowadays that is no longer an issue.

If someone sees you in there just tell them you're trying to decide what you want to be.

google-gender-neutral-bathroom-sign-1475248567_0.jpg

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, Rombo just beat me to Francis! Ha ha.

My truck is always locked and not much harm can come from an accidental door pull. I'd let it play out and enjoy their confusion. Maybe dbl lock the doors as they figure it out to make them jump, lol. Life's too short to send that freebee back.
Panic button + cop horn... ?

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Yes !! Situational deal, older couple could be bad eyesight or recent stroke. Just observe the Golden Rule. Actually I liked the idea of setting of the alarm with the Fob for a few seconds, saves the banging on glass embarrassment for the wife and accomplishes the same thing albeit anonymously. No harm no foul, just a humorous event.
Well the key fob was in the truck as I use my keypad. But the hand hitting the window was almost impossible to stop. It just had a mind of its own!
Sponsored