Did I overreact?

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
My wife and I are sitting in a small town restaurant where parking is literally right out in front of the restaurant's big glass front windows. We happened to be at a table where my Ranger was visible right from our table. (I was admiring it while waiting for our food.) Then we noticed a couple who were slightly older than us approach my truck like it was nothing. Right when the woman reached for the passenger door handle, my left hand instinctively flew up and smacked the window making a loud noise, startling the woman, and making the couple realize they were about to try to get into the wrong truck. They had parked right next to us in 15 or 20 year old Taco. They looked toward us and the guy made a "sorry" gesture and proceeded to their Taco.
My wife was mad saying it was loud and rude to smack the window and scare them. What do you think?
Sponsored

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
You might have overreacted just a bit.
They'd have noticed it wasn't their truck when the doors didn't open.
Or when the key didn't fit in the ignition.
But I understand being protective of your equipment.

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
I will admit to having tried to get in the wrong car once or twice, only to stand there stabbing my remote thinking, "this stupid car".. and then I realize I am at the wrong car.
it seems the world is full of similar colored cars now. And yes I am guilty of buying a truck that blends in too. my wife walks up to the wrong truck every time we go out

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Maybe a little but I probably would've done the same thing but sounds like it was an honest mistake. I always park way away from anyone else if possible. Besides he's a Taco owner and no telling what could happen from him touching your Ranger. God forbid it might get slower and start to rust now. :shock:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I've told this before on here but it bears repeating.

I was teaching a class in CA and for lunch I loaded up the students in my white Taurus rental car and went down the street to a local restaurant.

When we were done we all came out and all 5 of us hopped in the car.

I suddenly noticed that the car was full of trash.

It wasn't my white Taurus. Mine was parked 3 spaces over.

At least I noticed it before I tried to start it.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
If it would have been your right hand that smacked the glass I would have said no, but your left hand…. You’re a monster
Lol! It was the hand closest to the window.

SteveRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Carbo Gray Crewcab
Occupation
Laborer Extraordinaire
my in-laws have a 2012 Kia Optima, fully loaded. After owning it for a couple weeks my father in law got in the car and got a knock on the window, Guy claimed it was his car and pointed to the next spot where my FIL parked his car, they had the exact same car/trim level. They both had a good laugh, talked about how much they liked the car and went on their way.

I would of done the same thing as you, and my wife would of reacted the same way towards me, lol

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
My approach would have been different. I wouldn't have smacked the window, I would have set off the alarm and laughed like crazy when they jumped. :LOL::crackup::LOL:
Then my wife would have called me an asshole.
:crackup:

Jmarler

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Certified Hacker. Retired Veteran
Reminds when I was at the grocery store and I started putting things in someone's elses grocery cart, then I turned around I saw my wife with the cart and she started laughing.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Reminds me of a great story....
My B.I.L. once owned a gray 1952 Buick with a black top.
It was rare old car and probably the only one we had seen like it in many years .
(Until this incident)
He came out of the Piggly Wiggly one day, got in "his Buick" then noticed the clutch pedal was GONE!
He then looked around and noticed that he was in a car which was nearly identical to his (except it was an automatic! :oops:

It was parked right next to "his Buick" which was a stick shift!:blush:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I are sitting in a small town restaurant where parking is literally right out in front of the restaurant's big glass front windows. We happened to be at a table where my Ranger was visible right from our table. (I was admiring it while waiting for our food.) Then we noticed a couple who were slightly older than us approach my truck like it was nothing. Right when the woman reached for the passenger door handle, my left hand instinctively flew up and smacked the window making a loud noise, startling the woman, and making the couple realize they were about to try to get into the wrong truck. They had parked right next to us in 15 or 20 year old Taco. They looked toward us and the guy made a "sorry" gesture and proceeded to their Taco.
My wife was mad saying it was loud and rude to smack the window and scare them. What do you think?
Hi James,

A very minor transgression and your reaction was also minor... This happened so much at Ford with our prototypes as they were all the same color in many cases. When I took the knobs of Ranger Vehicle Engineering, my vehicle coordinator was used to specing the same color...I told her to mix the Rangers colors up...she was completely baffled as she had always just picked white....This made her have to work a bit more...not a perfect solution but it helped. I told the back story of the Econoline that in the morning was a automatic and in the afternoon was a stick...not only the same color, but the keys matched the two different vehicles parked only two slots apart.... Sigh!

best,
Phil