Decided to buy a Ranger 4X4

shane1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Retired
Newb here. Researched all of the midsize trucks and decided on Ranger. Now I am searching to make a purchase and I am not sure which year and trim level. This will be my everyday driver and I plan on using it for traveling with a small travel trailer. I also live in New England and winters can get rough. We may do some very light off roading. Right now, I am leaning toward an XLT FX4. My budget is $40k or less. I am confused on which year would be the best. 2019 was the first come back year so that may have had more issues according to car complaints. Thoughts on best year, trim level and packages?
Sponsored

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Well, for my money I'd look for a 2020 since it will still have most of the deleted stuff from the newer models. If you find a lariat it will have a lot of the candy and still get you below 40K (likely) for a 3 year old truck. Look for one with the factory trailer hitch, but it's not that critical, you'll still need a trailer brake controller, unless it has one installed.

ADDED: Light off roading would not need FX4, unless you just want all those toys (crawl control, etc).

I'd look for the 360 electronic package, I forget the package #. It has the blind spot detections and other stuff. Basically, my truck has most of the add ons, but it sounds like you may not care about all that stuff, but I think you'd still be able to find a loaded truck for 40k on the used markets (well, unless there's a huge markup like there was a few years back)

Also, you'll find more inventory with a supercrew, but it has a 5 foot bed. Just depends what you want.

Last edited:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
2020-21 seem to be the best combination of trouble free and standard equipment. I have a 2021 and am overall very happy with it. Each year the 5G Ranger lost some standard equipment or some items became restricted to higher trims. Minor things but noticeable. Two center box hooks went away in 2021 (4 instead of 6), hood struts in 2022, Lariat engine covers in 2022 etc. Rough Shifting is mentioned commonly here (mine's starting to). Stock FX4s "ride like a truck." I plan to change out all four corners of mine to either Fox or Eibach shocks when I replace the tires. I bought an extended warranty on mine and I recommend them regardless of the brand of vehicle.
There are other threads dealing with oil, gasoline, HVAC, etc. I had my HVAC fixed under warranty, only glitch so far. I recently started running 91 octane E-0 in mine 100% of the time. My milage is up 5+mpg and the truck sounds & runs better. I used to run premium only on long highway drives or towing a light trailer, but the better milage and "feel" of the truck largely offset the higher price for me.

Last edited:

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
2020 XLT Fx4 would be great - I have the lariat version at 65k right now and am happy. I purchased an extended warranty from Ford, and would rec. a certified used Ranger. Good luck. i would rec. all these options....

1694523440932.png

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I have a '21 XLT Sport 4X4 with 302A package, Tow Package, and Electronics package and am very happy with it. Fuel mileage for me is decent, amenities are very nice for a non-Lariat trim level, and I've done a little very light off roading and cannot complain about it at all. Also did a little snow driving this past winter and had no issues with handling.

I think as others have said I'd maybe look into a late 20/21 or newer to escape some of the real early issues the Ranger has had to overcome. Also, a lot of guys here really love the Tremor package for many reasons. Might want to look into that as well!

Good luck on your search. Be discerning and don't settle!

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I have the 2020 Lariat 4x4 & agree with @Tom_C that it would suit your needs admirably. I use it as my daily driver, occasionally tow light trailers with no issue, and have done light off-roading; I'm still on stock shocks (not FX4), and haven't had any issues with the routes that I've done, although if I start to tackle more challenging trails, then I might consider upgrading. I was also missing two of the tie-down points, but just added a couple of kayak straps that I had from my old vehicle, and later upgraded to a MOLLE panel on both sides, which I got off of a member here; no lack of tie-down points now!

You say that you're in New England, but are you more urban or rural? I ask, because if you're in areas where ice/snow build-up happens, or even spend a decent amount of time in them, then I would recommend a 4x4 package; you probably won't use it regularly, but there will be times where it's nice to have that extra traction. If you're in a strictly urban setting, then it's probably just a "nice to have". I use mine in the backcountry & mountains, but only rarely in the city.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
What's wrong with the '19's? 50k+ miles still going strong but do I need new leaf springs F.O.R.D. dropped the ball on these monoleafs. Just stay away from any used rangers with a TGD

OP
OP

shane1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Retired
I have the 2020 Lariat 4x4 & agree with @Tom_C that it would suit your needs admirably. I use it as my daily driver, occasionally tow light trailers with no issue, and have done light off-roading; I'm still on stock shocks (not FX4), and haven't had any issues with the routes that I've done, although if I start to tackle more challenging trails, then I might consider upgrading. I was also missing two of the tie-down points, but just added a couple of kayak straps that I had from my old vehicle, and later upgraded to a MOLLE panel on both sides, which I got off of a member here; no lack of tie-down points now!

You say that you're in New England, but are you more urban or rural? I ask, because if you're in areas where ice/snow build-up happens, or even spend a decent amount of time in them, then I would recommend a 4x4 package; you probably won't use it regularly, but there will be times where it's nice to have that extra traction. If you're in a strictly urban setting, then it's probably just a "nice to have". I use mine in the backcountry & mountains, but only rarely in the city.
More rural and yes, the snow and ice can become an Issue. I am only considering 4x4. There are a few in the area for sale but not many Lariats. There is a nice 2022 XLT FX4 with 15K miles but it is $39k; approaching new price.

bbeverag

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
I picked up a used 2022 Lariat Tremor with 8k miles for ~$42k plus tax in July. I would think you could find a Lariat without Tremor package for $40k or less.

OP
OP

shane1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Retired

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Newb here. Researched all of the midsize trucks and decided on Ranger. Now I am searching to make a purchase and I am not sure which year and trim level. This will be my everyday driver and I plan on using it for traveling with a small travel trailer. I also live in New England and winters can get rough. We may do some very light off roading. Right now, I am leaning toward an XLT FX4. My budget is $40k or less. I am confused on which year would be the best. 2019 was the first come back year so that may have had more issues according to car complaints. Thoughts on best year, trim level and packages?
I'm in Portsmouth, New Hampshire and love the '22 I got. I went as cheap as I could with a 2WD XL and 101A package (for the power mirrors and back up cam in the console). Mine new was $26K. But the same bare bones new '24 is $34K. It does have much better tech in it than mine and a few stock items that are an upgrade from mine.

I didn't have any issues last winter but I did use chains once (mainly because I'm an old fart from Quebec and had "romantic" notions about chains and still do!). =D

I got the 2WD as my off-road glory days are long past (have driven an '72 FJ40 since 1976 and just gave it to my daughter last year).

We'd like to tow a travel trailer and I liked the capacity and HP of the Ranger.

I also have the supercab because it's just me, my wife, and our ferocious Cheech!

I looked at other mid0sized trucks but for the cost and payload, the Ranger seemed like an ideal choice for us.

The heaviest I've towed is that Land Cruiser and it did it without any issues at full highway speeds.

By the way, mine came with the Bridgestone tires which were okay for winter. I'd like Nokians but these were fine.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll find something you like.

And I have added many things to this Ranger and there's a link in my sig for mostly utilitarian type stuff.

tojo-trailered.jpg

the tiny terror known as Cheech =D
crazy-cheech.jpg

bsr956

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4; 2013 Nissan Altima
I have the 302A option package, LOVE the heated seats!!