OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
This by itself proves my point when it comes to matching a suspension. I understand not everyone wants to just go with one particular friend but it is important when you're trying to match all your suspension components to work together. Why spend extra money when you don't have to?
I'm sorry, what's your point?
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I'm sorry, what's your point?
That matching suspension you don't have to worry about messing with things like the tuning of the shock to match the crime rate of different brand springs. Example, icon shocks and Deaver springs vs Old Mand EMU shocks and springs.

When you buy a suspension kit that is designed to work together you dont have to bother with the shock tuning.

Make a bit more sense?

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That matching suspension you don't have to worry about messing with things like the tuning of the shock to match the crime rate of different brand springs. Example, icon shocks and Deaver springs vs Old Mand EMU shocks and springs.

When you buy a suspension kit that is designed to work together you dont have to bother with the shock tuning.

Make a bit more sense?
This is a deaver thread, I'm just giving tips. What's the benefit of adding opinions about other leaf springs on this thread and some people might want to tune their shocks. I made a great relationship with the local shock tuning company and as I make more changes I will go back to them. I like custom tuning my own stuff my truck is built not bought.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is a deaver thread, I'm just giving tips. What's the benefit of adding opinions about other leaf springs on this thread and some people might want to tune their shocks. I made a great relationship with the local shock tuning company and as I make more changes I will go back to them. I like custom tuning my own stuff my truck is built not bought.
I'm sure after the shock was too and it wasn't so bad. I'm not necessary calling the icons are the Deavers junk. Just more of a deal where these are not built to work together from the box. It's just something for others to consider before buying if anything. Stanley go if they wanted to put Fox shocks with those Springs or better yet any other brand of shock. Put simple my point is you usually have better results and less money spent when you match a suspension from the beginning with a kit versus mixing and matching components with suspension. That is all.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure after the shock was too and it wasn't so bad. I'm not necessary calling the icons are the Deavers junk. Just more of a deal where these are not built to work together from the box. It's just something for others to consider before buying if anything. Stanley go if they wanted to put Fox shocks with those Springs or better yet any other brand of shock. Put simple my point is you usually have better results and less money spent when you match a suspension from the beginning with a kit versus mixing and matching components with suspension. That is all.
Fair enough, but I didn't want to wait for the kings from APG, and I like custom tuning. Quite frankly, I'm a mechanical and manufacturing engineer and I feel that I can do stuff better when I put my mind to it. Even if it's the same in the end it's my way and that is life to me. I live for this stuff so I'm going to post my findings and research. The point of the forum is to post facts to help the guy scrolling looking for an answer or a direction, and the occasional opinion when there is no fact yet. The fact is, I have successfully tuned icon with a digressive piston so that I can drive sporty on road and have more control and still have the plushness off-road when bombing through a trail. Old man emu isn't going to feel as good, hence the thread title.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fair enough, but I didn't want to wait for the kings from APG, and I like custom tuning. Quite frankly, I'm a mechanical and manufacturing engineer and I feel that I can do stuff better when I put my mind to it. Even if it's the same in the end it's my way and that is life to me. I live for this stuff so I'm going to post my findings and research. The point of the forum is to post facts to help the guy scrolling looking for an answer or a direction, and the occasional opinion when there is no fact yet. The fact is, I have successfully tuned icon with a digressive piston so that I can drive sporty on road and have more control and still have the plushness off-road when bombing through a trail. Old man emu isn't going to feel as good, hence the thread title.
Depending on the shock most likely correct on that. Just the basic nitro shock has it limits and even i plan to go with the BP-51 in the future. How it would compare to what you currently have I'm not too sure but would be cool to compare side by side for testing purposes

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depending on the shock most likely correct on that. Just the basic nitro shock has it limits and even i plan to go with the BP-51 in the future. How it would compare to what you currently have I'm not too sure but would be cool to compare side by side for testing purposes
Definitely I love actual data from testing. I'm so swamped with school I hardly get to tinker. BP-51 is Bilstein or what is that?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Definitely I love actual data from testing. I'm so swamped with school I hardly get to tinker. BP-51 is Bilstein or what is that?
It is the high end Old Man EMU shock. It is adjustable with compression and rebound. It does have a remote Resivoir and it is a bypass type shock. What even cooler is you don't need to change springs up front what so ever. If you dont have a bumper to start but later add a bumper with winch all you have to do is change the spring preload. Only downside like most of the high end shocks is the price tag.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is the high end Old Man EMU shock. It is adjustable with compression and rebound. It does have a remote Resivoir and it is a bypass type shock. What even cooler is you don't need to change springs up front what so ever. If you dont have a bumper to start but later add a bumper with winch all you have to do is change the spring preload. Only downside like most of the high end shocks is the price tag.
I do like the rebound tuning on the both the coilovers and the bypass rear shocks. I didn't find the extended and compressed lengths, so far icon has the longest front that I know with their coilovers at 5.25". 2.5's are the minimum for anything I'm doing which is 63.5 mm the bp-51's are not even 2.0's but if you aren't going fast they're just fine. I would still want deavers in the rear so maybe a tune wouldn't be necessary if you could get the rebound in range to match the deavers. Now that I've got a relationship with a local shock tuner, I think from here on out no more OEM replacements I'm going to measure extended and collapsed lengths and order custom shocks and get them tuned.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I do like the rebound tuning on the both the coilovers and the bypass rear shocks. I didn't find the extended and compressed lengths, so far icon has the longest front that I know with their coilovers at 5.25". 2.5's are the minimum for anything I'm doing which is 63.5 mm the bp-51's are not even 2.0's but if you aren't going fast they're just fine. I would still want deavers in the rear so maybe a tune wouldn't be necessary if you could get the rebound in range to match the deavers. Now that I've got a relationship with a local shock tuner, I think from here on out no more OEM replacements I'm going to measure extended and collapsed lengths and order custom shocks and get them tuned.
I'm not too sure on what the lengths of the BP-51's are right off but I am aware that tye fronts dont quite have the travel a FOX 2.5 have. As for size they are right at a 2.0 since the 51 stands for the bore in millimeters. Would they work well on a long travel setup like the BAJA or other long travel arm kits? Possibly but I would suspect a different ranger for the dampening would be necessary. What I have confirmed with OME is they are designed to work with the standard kit and give lift of 2.4 front and 1.6 rear using the OME springs all the way around so you still gain travel on all 4 compared to stock.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
This by itself proves my point when it comes to matching a suspension. I understand not everyone wants to just go with one particular friend but it is important when you're trying to match all your suspension components to work together. Why spend extra money when you don't have to?
Does anybody offer a quality matched suspension for our Rangers at a decent price?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Does anybody offer a quality matched suspension for our Rangers at a decent price?
If you are not looking at adjustability then yes. Old Man EMU actually has a nice practical kit for that and it comes with a nice warranty(3 year and 36,000 miles). I might be a little off on the mileage warranty. That is what I currently run at this time as the whole forum already knows. The only thing is most on here think FOX is just beter but FOX itself and most other kits do not offer a lift and only a level. Even woth Icon now offering leaf springs the kits that include them cost more than the Old Man EMU BP-51 kit. As for Deavers unless the company providing them has a specific shock tuned for them I dont believe there is a shock out of the box that is 100% set to handle the spring rate correctly. Some that are close? Very possible. Other than that not really. @Superdannyboy already mentioned earlier about King shocks but not wanting to wait(dont blame him on that) so my best guess is there are a set of Kings that will match up but then again you are talking a high price tag.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not too sure on what the lengths of the BP-51's are right off but I am aware that tye fronts dont quite have the travel a FOX 2.5 have. As for size they are right at a 2.0 since the 51 stands for the bore in millimeters. Would they work well on a long travel setup like the BAJA or other long travel arm kits? Possibly but I would suspect a different ranger for the dampening would be necessary. What I have confirmed with OME is they are designed to work with the standard kit and give lift of 2.4 front and 1.6 rear using the OME springs all the way around so you still gain travel on all 4 compared to stock.
Sorry it is a 2.0 I was tired I'm way overloaded with school right now lol. Fox has the least amount of travel so ehh. I'm not a lift guy I like my center of gravity low I wish we could flip our shackles to drop the rear but the springs are under the frame. Any time long travel arms are involved that specifically tuned goes right out the window and the shocks need to be tuned for them. APG tunes their kings for their deavers and for their long travel kit but you have to buy the whole package to get the shocks or wait months and months. I didn't like their LT kit because they use the stock ball joints. When I put my bed cage there will be a lot of steel involved so I might need the HD springs until I link the truck, but I do have 2 spares and 4x50lb bags in the bed. The springs handle it well and I have way more traction in the rain.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What do you mean by matched? Like leaf springs and shocks? Icon has leafs and you could get their 2.0s. All of the 2.5 shocks cost about the same and they're all about the same but fox is slightly the best because they have a bigger company they have better QA.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sorry it is a 2.0 I was tired I'm way overloaded with school right now lol. Fox has the least amount of travel so ehh. I'm not a lift guy I like my center of gravity low I wish we could flip our shackles to drop the rear but the springs are under the frame. Any time long travel arms are involved that specifically tuned goes right out the window and the shocks need to be tuned for them. APG tunes their kings for their deavers and for their long travel kit but you have to buy the whole package to get the shocks or wait months and months. I didn't like their LT kit because they use the stock ball joints. When I put my bed cage there will be a lot of steel involved so I might need the HD springs until I link the truck, but I do have 2 spares and 4x50lb bags in the bed. The springs handle it well and I have way more traction in the rain.
I would suspect most of the added wet traction you have is mainly from the added rear weight and the tires you have. Nothing wrong with it either as extra traction is always nice
Sponsored