OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
How hard was removing the spring eye bushings out of the stock springs and transferring them to the Deaver springs?
I got the stock weight springs in last week from APG and will be pairing them up with the Fox 2.5 coilovers & shocks.
The deavers came with their own bushings and I just used a rubber hammer to push them in.
Sponsored

Todd B

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger FX4,2012 ford f250
Occupation
parts sales
The deavers came with their own bushings and I just used a rubber hammer to push them in.
The folks at APG said you have to reuse the rear spring eye bushings which I thought was weird. I found this out when the springs only came with u-bolts ,bump stops & four bushing halves & sleeves.
I had Deaver make some custom springs for my Super Duty last year and they came with rubber bushings preinstalled.
I was going to look up the spring bushings tomorrow at work.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The folks at APG said you have to reuse the rear spring eye bushings which I thought was weird. I found this out when the springs only came with u-bolts ,bump stops & four bushing halves & sleeves.
I had Deaver make some custom springs for my Super Duty last year and they came with rubber bushings preinstalled.
I was going to look up the spring bushings tomorrow at work.
Oh the rear, it came out pretty easy I had my truck for 1 year when I did the install.

Todd B

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
parts sales
Oh the rear, it came out pretty easy I had my truck for 1 year when I did the install.
Installed the APG/Deaver springs this morning and it lifted the rear about 1.5".
Hope it settles by the time I do the front.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed the APG/Deaver springs this morning and it lifted the rear about 1.5".
Hope it settles by the time I do the front.
Go off-road it it'll help settle the springs.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Every time I leave the house there is 2 miles of dirt & lime rock roads before I get to pavement.
I am seriously happy for you lol. That is the dream.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Remark for loctite and torque spec:
I initially tightened the front bolts myself without a torque wrench as tight as possible and a squeak developed in the rear because it was so tight.
I loosened the front bolts to just "snug" and the squeak was gone. I didn't have a torque wrench so I figured I'd go to the local mechanic within a week and have the guy use his electronic torque wrench to tighten them to 85 ft-lbs and also apply loctite, but within a few days I noticed the nut fell off and the front bolt was halfway out! We managed to push the bolt back through, apply loctite to both sides, and tighten to 85 ft-lbs.
I'm so grateful I caught it when I did. Learn from my mistake!

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Remark for rear shocks with deavers:
I highly recommend getting shocks that are tuned for the deavers such as APG's king 2.5's or telling whatever company you get them from to tune them for your application. The problem with APG is that if you only want the shocks and not a whole package the wait is long. If you want fox I recommend accutune because they tune your shocks for free when you purchase them so you can tell them you're running deavers. They do king too. I went with icon but through stage3motorsports and tuning is free for the first year with icon but if you don't live in Cali you have to ship the shocks, which for me was quoted over $300 just to get the shocks to them, and may require more than one visit to them to get it right for what you want. I was excited that the icons were tuned for the ranger and they are awesome off-road, but the deavers have a different spring rate so on road the front to rear isn't balanced. I know my long travel kit comes into play here too so for me it's the combo of long travel arms and deaver springs that is causing the off-balance so I am going to a local shop to take apart my shocks and change some shims and hopefully it'll take one try because it's $80 a shock. For me I don't like slowing down in the road I want my suspension to soak everything up without being too rough to keep the wife happy, without sacrificing too much off-road capability.

Todd B

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
parts sales
Remark for rear shocks with deavers:
I highly recommend getting shocks that are tuned for the deavers such as APG's king 2.5's or telling whatever company you get them from to tune them for your application. The problem with APG is that if you only want the shocks and not a whole package the wait is long. If you want fox I recommend accutune because they tune your shocks for free when you purchase them so you can tell them you're running deavers. They do king too. I went with icon but through stage3motorsports and tuning is free for the first year with icon but if you don't live in Cali you have to ship the shocks, which for me was quoted over $300 just to get the shocks to them, and may require more than one visit to them to get it right for what you want. I was excited that the icons were tuned for the ranger and they are awesome off-road, but the deavers have a different spring rate so on road the front to rear isn't balanced. I know my long travel kit comes into play here too so for me it's the combo of long travel arms and deaver springs that is causing the off-balance so I am going to a local shop to take apart my shocks and change some shims and hopefully it'll take one try because it's $80 a shock. For me I don't like slowing down in the road I want my suspension to soak everything up without being too rough to keep the wife happy, without sacrificing too much off-road capability.
I have the Fox 2.5" shocks I am going to give the rears a try as tuned by Fox before sending them off to be custom tuned. I got a good deal on the shocks though work is main reason I did not go to Accutune for them and they seem to be hard to find right know.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the Fox 2.5" shocks I am going to give the rears a try as tuned by Fox before sending them off to be custom tuned. I got a good deal on the shocks though work is main reason I did not go to Accutune for them and they seem to be hard to find right know.
Sweet man I know the more weight in the rear the better the ride. The main thing I think to adjust is rebound, if needed.

nrspence

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger FX4
Occupation
Wildland firefighter
I have had the standard APG deaver leaf springs on for a little over a week now. The deaver springs have giving me a 1/2 inch lift over stock springs out back. The springs feel great combined with the the Fox 2.0 shocks. I have not done any high speed off road desert driving with the truck and don’t plan to any time soon. I will say driving on forest mountain roads is much smoother then with the stock rear springs. Up front I have the eibach 2.0 coilover shocks that gave me 2.5 inches of lift. The combo feels great together so far. A few days ago I hauled a bed full of cut fire wood off the mountain and had probably an inch of squat from the load.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got my rear icons tuned last week. Waaay better than stock. We left compression alone and allowed faster rebound by drilling an extra bleed hole and changing the biggest shim to a thinner one.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Got my rear icons tuned last week. Waaay better than stock. We left compression alone and allowed faster rebound by drilling an extra bleed hole and changing the biggest shim to a thinner one.
This by itself proves my point when it comes to matching a suspension. I understand not everyone wants to just go with one particular friend but it is important when you're trying to match all your suspension components to work together. Why spend extra money when you don't have to?
Sponsored