First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Does anyone else have a dealer service department that discourages upgrading to full synthetic oil?
My local dealer upsells all kinds of service, sometimes 50,000 miles or more earlier than scheduled but I have to fight to get full synthetic and not synthetic blend.
Sponsored

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
Does anyone else have a dealer service department that discourages upgrading to full synthetic oil?
My local dealer upsells all kinds of service, sometimes 50,000 miles or more earlier than scheduled but I have to fight to get full synthetic and not synthetic blend.
I haven't had any problem when requesting full synthetic. Just costs $30 more than the regular at the Ford dealer I use.

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
YUP, ALL THREE LOCAL DEALERS WERE THE SAME WAY AND THE DEALER I USED ON A REGULAR BASIS STOPPED ALLOWING CUSTOMERS TO SEE THE TECHNICIANS DOING OIL CHANGES AND THE LAST TIME I HAD THE OIL CHANGED IT WAS JUST AS DARK AS IT WAS WHEN I TOOK IT IN SO NOW, I DO IT MYSELF WITH FULL SYNTHETIC AND YA SURE ITS MESSY ESPECIALLY BECAUSE OF THE LOCATION OF THE OIL FILTER BUT AT LEAST I KNOW IT'S DONE RIGHT. I WAIT FOR THE OIL TO GO ON SALE AND I STOCK UP ON THE 5 LITRE JUGS OR 1.3 AMERICAN GALLONS FOR $32.00 CANADIAN DOLLARS OR $24 AMERICAN WHICH IS HALF PRICE.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
YUP, ALL THREE LOCAL DEALERS WERE THE SAME WAY AND THE DEALER I USED ON A REGULAR BASIS STOPPED ALLOWING CUSTOMERS TO SEE THE TECHNICIANS DOING OIL CHANGES AND THE LAST TIME I HAD THE OIL CHANGED IT WAS JUST AS DARK AS IT WAS WHEN I TOOK IT IN SO NOW, I DO IT MYSELF WITH FULL SYNTHETIC AND YA SURE ITS MESSY ESPECIALLY BECAUSE OF THE LOCATION OF THE OIL FILTER BUT AT LEAST I KNOW IT'S DONE RIGHT. I WAIT FOR THE OIL TO GO ON SALE AND I STOCK UP ON THE 5 LITRE JUGS OR 1.3 AMERICAN GALLONS FOR $32.00 CANADIAN DOLLARS OR $24 AMERICAN WHICH IS HALF PRICE.
THANKS

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
It would be one thing if a long term established shop employee did the oil changes at a dealership, but the more likely scenario is its the newest guy to the work force is doing it.

Based on the quality of say, fast food service in the past 3 years - I don't think I can come to trust the shop guy at the dealership to give a courtesy wash properly.

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
That's weird!!
My only thought on this is that their markup % is higher on the blend.
Take your own oil with you and tell them to use it, they can't refuse that.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Never had a place do that. Some vehicles including the Ranger state that you can use Full Synthetic with no problems. Ford actually recommends it if running in super cold climates. Some vehicles actually require Full Synthetic.

OP
OP

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
The Works with full synthetic is $30 more.
They did just text and try to sell me a fuel system cleaning for $26.97. What the hell is that? On a truck with less than 12,000 miles.

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer does full synthetic oil change. I figure if it is going to keep them from denying any engine issue warranty wise so be it. The Philippines is a finicky place in that regards so I play along.

DaveT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Ranger Tremor
Occupation
retired
Last edited:

Avanti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Got an oil change this week and the service rep advised me I was due a 20,000 mile ethanol treatment and a coolant change at 40,000 miles. How can you expect a young service technician to respect the customers and their vehicles when they know their managers are trying to scam all the customers ?

5thranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20ranger
Occupation
driver
The Works with full synthetic is $30 more.
They did just text and try to sell me a fuel system cleaning for $26.97. What the hell is that? On a truck with less than 12,000 miles.
It is the lube they use
Sponsored