Vehicle Showcase

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
So this morning I called the SWDS, South West Dealer Services. I was able to get a technician to call me back. This is the company that installed the alarm. He said the normal procedure to remove the alarm was to remove the t-taps or unplug them, leaving the t-tap and some integrity of the original wire. I asked him how many and which wires were cut and he said 2...1 of which is the ignition/starter wire. He said the standard procedure for these wires is to use butt connectors. THIS is what I did not want to hear. I'm still waiting on a call back from Ford. If this has any affect on the warranty, as I assume it will, I will not settle on simply removing the t-taps and having those 2 wires connected with butt connectors. If I cut into the the original wiring while installing an alarm myself, this would certainly void any warranty related to any issue down the road involving this harness. I can't see how the dealer/3rd party installing it would be any different. Cutting wire is cutting wire.

My expectations? A complete, unadulterated wiring system in the state it was when it left the factory.
@KTM Hauler what was your outcome with this ?

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger
The Ford dealer I bought from shorted my inspection sticker to one year from the standard 2 year new vehicle sticker. I contacted the salesperson who was caught by surprise...thinking all new vehicles had 2 year stickers. Long story short, with mild persuasion, the dealer managment provided me a letter stating that the dealer will fully pay for the one year inspection plus the state annual sticker free when it comes due. Seems the finance guy makes extra bonus signing for a one year sticker. Yes, pisses me off!

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, the website shows several types of connectors...which is the FAA approved connector? Thanks.
Hi Tex,

Butt splice with heat activated shrink wrap with adheasive. Make sense?

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
The Ford dealer I bought from shorted my inspection sticker to one year from the standard 2 year new vehicle sticker. I contacted the salesperson who was caught by surprise...thinking all new vehicles had 2 year stickers. Long story short, with mild persuasion, the dealer managment provided me a letter stating that the dealer will fully pay for the one year inspection plus the state annual sticker free when it comes due. Seems the finance guy makes extra bonus signing for a one year sticker. Yes, pisses me off!
Curious, what sort of inspection which, I'm assuming is mandated by Texas law are you referring to?
Seems to me that if this inspection and sticker for new vehicles is governed by Texas law, this dealer could get into trouble if they routinely pull this BS.

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger
Hi Tex,

Butt splice with heat activated shrink wrap with adheasive. Make sense?

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I guess not...I did a search on the "Terminal Supply" website: Says "no matching find" for "Butt splice with heat activated shrink wrap"....

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger
Curious, what sort of inspection which, I'm assuming is mandated by Texas law are you referring to?
Seems to me that if this inspection and sticker for new vehicles is governed by Texas law, this dealer could get into trouble if they routinely pull this BS.
Every Texas motor vehicle has to have an annual inspection by approved facility and with that inspection approval, a payment for the actual Texas State Inspection Sticker is sent in to DPS and you receive a sticker for your lower left windshield; noting month and year of approval. New vehicles receive a 2 year inspection sticker when they receive their license plates. Selling new and used vehicle dealers pay that fee so you can get your official license plates to replace the temporary paper plates. I believe used vehicles receive a one year sticker.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I guess not...I did a search on the "Terminal Supply" website: Says "no matching find" for "Butt splice with heat activated shrink wrap"....
Try this one. Named manufacturer so quality is better. Didn’t look to see if mil spec but you pay way more if it is. As long as it seals well and use dielectric grease on wire ends. A little goes a long way here.https://www.electriduct.com/Electriduct-Heat-Shrink-Butt-Connectors.html

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger
Try this one. Named manufacturer so quality is better. Didn’t look to see if mil spec but you pay way more if it is. As long as it seals well and use dielectric grease on wire ends. A little goes a long way here.https://www.electriduct.com/Electriduct-Heat-Shrink-Butt-Connectors.html
That's it! Thank you Trigganometry!!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
terminal supply.jpg

Also available in red (small) and Yellow (large)...also have eyelets etc.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Every Texas motor vehicle has to have an annual inspection by approved facility and with that inspection approval, a payment for the actual Texas State Inspection Sticker is sent in to DPS and you receive a sticker for your lower left windshield; noting month and year of approval. New vehicles receive a 2 year inspection sticker when they receive their license plates. Selling new and used vehicle dealers pay that fee so you can get your official license plates to replace the temporary paper plates. I believe used vehicles receive a one year sticker.
Here in Hawaii we have an annual vehicle registration fee which essentially boils down to a road tax, this tax is calculated on vehicle weight. My 2020 Ranger's fee was $478 which I have no problem paying if we did not have such "Banana Republic" road conditions here in Honolulu. Mind you this is my annual fee. Additionally all vehicles are subject to a safety inspection annually (2 years for new vehicles), the charge for this inspection is $25. We also get whacked with outrageous fuel taxes, latest price on a gallon of 87 octane is $3.60/gallon. On Molokai, a neighboring island you can expect to pay $5.40/gallon.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
When I was much younger I got paid to do this. FWIW you got paid a flat amount per vehicle so of you could install "alarms" in the vehicles at breakneck speed you maybe made it a step above slave labor.

That would explain your rats nest installs and screws into the dash. Never felt right rushing something on a brand new vehicle, but the dealer ships could make good return on these quick add-ons. Did some of the ugliest billet grilles and tube steps you've ever seen too.

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I think the dealer might have done something nefarious to OP.