Dealer installed alarm hardware found!

OP
OP

KTM Hauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I'd expect them to simply unplug the spade lugs and remove their stuff, leaving behind the t-taps. At this point they're likely helping to maintain some integrity to the original harness wiring. I also wouldn't think they'd use high quality butt connectors if they do remove the t-tap. What are your expectations at this point?
So this morning I called the SWDS, South West Dealer Services. I was able to get a technician to call me back. This is the company that installed the alarm. He said the normal procedure to remove the alarm was to remove the t-taps or unplug them, leaving the t-tap and some integrity of the original wire. I asked him how many and which wires were cut and he said 2...1 of which is the ignition/starter wire. He said the standard procedure for these wires is to use butt connectors. THIS is what I did not want to hear. I'm still waiting on a call back from Ford. If this has any affect on the warranty, as I assume it will, I will not settle on simply removing the t-taps and having those 2 wires connected with butt connectors. If I cut into the the original wiring while installing an alarm myself, this would certainly void any warranty related to any issue down the road involving this harness. I can't see how the dealer/3rd party installing it would be any different. Cutting wire is cutting wire.

My expectations? A complete, unadulterated wiring system in the state it was when it left the factory.
Sponsored

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
So this morning I'm vacuuming the truck and noticed an "item" that did not look right. I knew right away what it was, but I was in shock that I missed it. I turned down the up-sell alarm when buying the truck and it did not even cross my mind that the hardware was already installed.

I can live with the fact that there are 2 little screw holes drilled in the panel. They are in a location that is for a lack of better words, irrelevant. That being said, I am annoyed that the factory wiring was modified and it was not disclosed at the time of purchase. It was not on the window sticker. It was never mentioned at all.

I will be contacting the dealer tomorrow and telling them it will be returned to factory condition, wiring and panel, or I will be pursuing the matter further.

Anyone else find out after the fact that their truck was modified with alarm hardware?

Inked11_LI.jpg
Would it be quicker and more cost effective to have them finish the install free of charge? Labor isn't cheap, most of it might be already in place. Just a thought

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Would it be quicker and more cost effective to have them finish the install free of charge? Labor isn't cheap, most of it might be already in place. Just a thought
Hi Mike,

For the one the local dealer installs, it is alleged to have a feature that is undesirable. They can send out a signal to disable the vehicle. So if you use their financing and miss a payment...the vehicle may become inoperative...Not a something I wanted to ever happen to me, so I removed the rats nest of wiring and made wire repairs...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Mike,

For the one the local dealer installs, it is alleged to have a feature that is undesirable. They can send out a signal to disable the vehicle. So if you use their financing and miss a payment...the vehicle may become inoperative...Not a something I wanted to ever happen to me, so I removed the rats nest of wiring and made wire repairs...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Fair enough.

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Love how the dealers add crap to the sticker - I never saw the second sticker until I got home. I always negotiated an OTD deals on cars I buy. I have ended up with some nice add ons and some pretty funny things like lifetime nitro fill for my truck tires (maybe that is why they filled them to 50 PSI. The only thing I would ever did pay for was the window tinting in GA but still felt really good about my deal.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Love how the dealers add crap to the sticker - I never saw the second sticker until I got home. I always negotiated an OTD deals on cars I buy. I have ended up with some nice add ons and some pretty funny things like lifetime nitro fill for my truck tires (maybe that is why they filled them to 50 PSI. The only thing I would ever did pay for was the window tinting in GA but still felt really good about my deal.
I call those second stickers "Phony Monroeny's", they are formatted and printed to look identical to the factory sticker. I instructed the dealer when I placed my order on my 2020 Lariat that if they had the gall to attach such a label to my truck that the deal was off, no if's and/or but's.
Such labels list additional dealer charges and any equipment/options added to the vehicle at the local level.
Working at a dealer for almost 14 years gave me insight to such nonsense.

Viator092

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BMW 440i, 15 VW Golf TDI, 19 Ford Ranger Lariat
Pretty ballsy to slap on a wire intensive rat trap. Obviously they've figured out its profitable and can accept the loss on those that pass on the alarm.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Well today I received a call from the company that installed the alarm. He left a message asking me to call back so they could schedule a time at my house or at the dealership to remove the alarm system. I also have a call into to Ford customer service. Apparently to speak to someone in the U.S., they person in Manila had to elevate my issue by creating a case #. now I wait patiently for a call within 1 to 6 business days. I will practice patience and wait for that call before I contact the alarm company. I don't think I should settle on simply removing the wire taps and covering everything up with crimps and tape.

Thanks Phil for your input!
Are you in Manila or the States?

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Are you in Manila or the States?
Ford's customer service is farmed out to some call center in the Philippines, call yourself and you'll see.
Better brush up on your Tagalog or Ilocano first though...aisus!
:giggle:

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So this morning I called the SWDS, South West Dealer Services. I was able to get a technician to call me back. This is the company that installed the alarm. He said the normal procedure to remove the alarm was to remove the t-taps or unplug them, leaving the t-tap and some integrity of the original wire. I asked him how many and which wires were cut and he said 2...1 of which is the ignition/starter wire. He said the standard procedure for these wires is to use butt connectors. THIS is what I did not want to hear. I'm still waiting on a call back from Ford. If this has any affect on the warranty, as I assume it will, I will not settle on simply removing the t-taps and having those 2 wires connected with butt connectors. If I cut into the the original wiring while installing an alarm myself, this would certainly void any warranty related to any issue down the road involving this harness. I can't see how the dealer/3rd party installing it would be any different. Cutting wire is cutting wire.

My expectations? A complete, unadulterated wiring system in the state it was when it left the factory.
I'm with you 100% bud, I'd be pissed as hell if someone else were to butcher the wiring on my new truck.
Stick to your guns and keep us posted...

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
So this morning I'm vacuuming the truck and noticed an "item" that did not look right. I knew right away what it was, but I was in shock that I missed it. I turned down the up-sell alarm when buying the truck and it did not even cross my mind that the hardware was already installed.

I can live with the fact that there are 2 little screw holes drilled in the panel. They are in a location that is for a lack of better words, irrelevant. That being said, I am annoyed that the factory wiring was modified and it was not disclosed at the time of purchase. It was not on the window sticker. It was never mentioned at all.

I will be contacting the dealer tomorrow and telling them it will be returned to factory condition, wiring and panel, or I will be pursuing the matter further.

Anyone else find out after the fact that their truck was modified with alarm hardware?

Inked11_LI.jpg
So what was the outcome?

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer

Inked11_LI.jpg
What was the outcome ? Did they resolve this mess ?

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Id be pissed.
I didn't buy a new truck to find the wiring chopped up into the high heavens. If I wanted used redneck hack trash then I would buy off craigslist. :mad::mad:

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger pickup 2019 subaru
These butt connectors are same as approved by FAA for repair of Airliners. They are not autostore parts. I have a special crimping tool that goes with them. I get them at Terminal Supply. The outer sleave is shrink tubing with a hot melt glue that glues to the wire sheath making a robust connection.

Solder on the other hand is a big no no on automotive wiring. The solder is solid and where this solid solder stops creates a stress concentration in the wire and can and does lead to internal failure of the copper. Shrink tubing that does not bond to the wiring sheath does help a bit but why take the risk... When I started managing offroad racing The Ford racetrucks failure rate was about 75% and most electrical. We instituted a requirement to switch to the type of butt connectors sold by ReyChem or Terminal supply...It is now very uncommon for the race teams to have electrical failures due to wiring.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

CAN YOU SUPPLY A LINK FOR THE CRIMP CONNECTORS?
Sponsored