Dash Rattle, Help!

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I have a 2020 Ranger Lariat. I found that the rattle that sounded like it was the dash was actually on the outside. There is a black molding just underneath the wipers, it runs across the bottom of the windshield. This molding slips out of a retaining channel. This molding taps the glass which sounds like it coming from the inside. When you hold this black molding the rattle goes away. I tried to press the molding back into the channel but is keeps popping out. Looks like a warmer weather job. Hope this helps guys.
Good info. Please post a pic of the molding.
Sponsored

JohnnyLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Pilot
I have been chasing a similar noise. It is just a tick that kinda sounds like the blinker click, but it is not regular enough to be electronic. Thanks for the advice.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I have been chasing a similar noise. It is just a tick that kinda sounds like the blinker click, but it is not regular enough to be electronic. Thanks for the advice.
You may have a wire harness that is tapping the package tray intermittently, or it could be the tray itself. it snaps in with two molded-in spades at the center on the front and back sides. Pry up the front edge GENTLY and push in the spade enough to release the tray.

jebok79

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ranger xlt tremor
Occupation
N/a
im having same issue that when push it down the dash on that driver side it gives really annoying sound rattling and vibration specially when cold..

OP
OP
Ranger X3

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab Lariat FX4
im having same issue that when push it down the dash on that driver side it gives really annoying sound rattling and vibration specially when cold..
Try giving a tug on the steering wheel, my rattle goes away with a little pressure.

Danny RN

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Retired Army/Registered Nurse.
A recurring rattle drove me nuts for months before I removed everything that could be removed from the cab. It was my eyeglasses, in the overhead storage. It’s very difficult to determine the direction of a sound like this. Removing everything, and enlisting the help of a passenger (or driver) makes it easier to find the source.
Agree. I had a rattle I was looking all over..and what it was is the visor I hadn't clipped it back in after using it. I was losing my mind, but I couldn't determine where it was coming from. I thought it was the dash. It didn't seem to be coming from above me.

carnut122

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 F100, 2008 Saturn Sky, 2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Hi Folks,

Okay...mentioned many times before, but new folks may not have read this:

Pick up a cheap Mechanics stethoscope from an autoparts store or Amazon etc. Discard the diaphragm and metal rod probe. You now have a very directional device to help you pinpoint the source of the noise.

Best,
Phil
My favorite is a piece of heater hose (maybe shop vac hose?) to my ear(it might leave a smudge on your ear) and move the other end around until you narrow down the source. Obviously, you need to have somebody else drive. BTW, this works great for engine noises.

AlgRanger

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 and 2020 Ford Ranger.
Dashboard Rattle Sound FIX!!! Just wanted to share this with you guys. Purchased this 2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 a few weeks ago. Noticed a pretty annoying rattle sound coming from the driver side dashboard area. The rattle would come and go sometimes and other times would not go away. Finally took apart the defroster vent trim piece. After inspecting and experimenting with various potential causes, I finally determined that one of the clips on the trim piece does not actually attach to anything. There is a gap in the dashboard assembly where that clip would attach to. Since the clip is hanging freely, it vibrates and moves around causing a rattle sound. Once I removed that clip from the trim and reattached everything, the rattle was gone. I have driven the truck for about 3 days with absolutely no rattle. Hopefully this can help someone else with a similar problem. My Ranger is a 2020, but I would imagine that this can work for 2019 and newer models as well.

3AFE7CE0-DA77-4D97-85B3-B7FE2ADCE056.jpeg

B7118DBF-D8CC-4EB9-AE35-EEC6A35D7DFD.jpeg

4F4FC568-7D21-4130-A276-1842477358DD.jpeg

01048001-6BE7-4594-8941-749A040E9CAE.jpeg

C14B4AB5-7EB8-4F11-ADC0-ADD14A03E8CB.jpeg

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Dashboard Rattle Sound FIX!!! Just wanted to share this with you guys. Purchased this 2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 a few weeks ago. Noticed a pretty annoying rattle sound coming from the driver side dashboard area. The rattle would come and go sometimes and other times would not go away. Finally took apart the defroster vent trim piece. After inspecting and experimenting with various potential causes, I finally determined that one of the clips on the trim piece does not actually attach to anything. There is a gap in the dashboard assembly where that clip would attach to. Since the clip is hanging freely, it vibrates and moves around causing a rattle sound. Once I removed that clip from the trim and reattached everything, the rattle was gone. I have driven the truck for about 3 days with absolutely no rattle. Hopefully this can help someone else with a similar problem. My Ranger is a 2020, but I would imagine that this can work for 2019 and newer models as well.

3AFE7CE0-DA77-4D97-85B3-B7FE2ADCE056.jpeg

B7118DBF-D8CC-4EB9-AE35-EEC6A35D7DFD.jpeg

4F4FC568-7D21-4130-A276-1842477358DD.jpeg

01048001-6BE7-4594-8941-749A040E9CAE.jpeg

C14B4AB5-7EB8-4F11-ADC0-ADD14A03E8CB.jpeg
Nice!

AlgRanger

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 and 2020 Ford Ranger.
Mine was the wiper blade,but sounded different from what your hearing
Yes. Mine was a rattle/buzzing sound. It would start and stop randomly. Whenever I had a passenger, they would always ask, “what’s that rattling sound?”. It was right above the gauge cluster closer to the windshield. Finally took the vent apart based off of other forum post suggestions and after some trial and error noticed that one of the white clip fasteners doesn’t clip into anywhere. So that’s what was causing the sound. The white clip was just vibrating back and forth on its post.
Sponsored