Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab Lariat FX4
Hi all,
I've had this dash rattle since day one, the dealer can't figure it out. It's on the driver side next to the defrost vent. Happens at all speeds, mostly on colder days. I'm assuming that maybe there is a loose clip tucked up in there?

Thanks

Sponsored

Last edited:

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Have you tried using some force and push down on that area and see if something isn’t clipped in all the way? Otherwise I would just tear it all out and inspect. Nothing else to do really.

OP
OP
Ranger X3

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab Lariat FX4
Have you tried using some force and push down on that area and see if something isn’t clipped in all the way? Otherwise I would just tear it all out and inspect. Nothing else to do really.
Yup, given it the push and pull treatment, and some taps with a rubber mallet.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
A recurring rattle drove me nuts for months before I removed everything that could be removed from the cab. It was my eyeglasses, in the overhead storage. It’s very difficult to determine the direction of a sound like this. Removing everything, and enlisting the help of a passenger (or driver) makes it easier to find the source.

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I have the same rattle - it goes away if I press down on the dash defrost trim on the drivers side. As soon as I let go, it comes back. Mostly on colder days for me as well.

I took it into the dealer a couple of weeks ago and they agreed its probably the plastic trim thermally contracting and expanding, resulting in a rattle. I asked if they could shim it or add a piece of foam under it to keep it from rattling and they said no.

Very annoying.

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
I have the same rattle. Drives me nuts.

Zeroedin

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Roush Edition
A recurring rattle drove me nuts for months before I removed everything that could be removed from the cab. It was my eyeglasses, in the overhead storage. It’s very difficult to determine the direction of a sound like this. Removing everything, and enlisting the help of a passenger (or driver) makes it easier to find the source.
Unfortunately, I can’t offer the OP any useful advice (I’m assuming he’s narrowed down the source/area)….just thought I’d mention I had the same issue with a pair of cheaters I had forgotten were even in the truck. Took me weeks to figure it out, but in my own defense I wasn’t actively looking for the source. Now I keep ‘em wrapped in a cloth.

Still “passively” looking for a way to keep the passenger seatbelt from rattling, lol.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Okay...mentioned many times before, but new folks may not have read this:

Pick up a cheap Mechanics stethoscope from an autoparts store or Amazon etc. Discard the diaphragm and metal rod probe. You now have a very directional device to help you pinpoint the source of the noise.

Best,
Phil

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I have the same rattle - it goes away if I press down on the dash defrost trim on the drivers side. As soon as I let go, it comes back. Mostly on colder days for me as well.

I took it into the dealer a couple of weeks ago and they agreed its probably the plastic trim thermally contracting and expanding, resulting in a rattle. I asked if they could shim it or add a piece of foam under it to keep it from rattling and they said no.

Very annoying.
Exact same location as my rattle and only in cold weather

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I know what you're going through, and you hope can find the solution to that! My 2011 Ranger had a dash rattle that occurred when going over bumpy roads but was intermittent...constant annoyance :angry: I tried everything I could think of and checked the Internet for sources to help...nothing worked so the buyer inherited the rattle. It is a relief not to have any rattles or noises in the 2020 :clap:

Side.jpg

Kirby808

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had this happen. Only real fix I could come up with was having the dealer take the dash off and fix it. Took them a couple try’s but they ended up putting a bunch of foam and who knows what in there. Million times better. Only took them 2 try’s. Mine was at the point where if I would knock on the driver side dash I could clearly hear whatever it was rattling in there, cold days were the worst. Very annoying.
Another redneck option just fill er with spray foam and call er good ?

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same issue on cold days and only for a few minutes until the plastic warms up. Out of curiosity, how many of you have Lariats? Or the upfitter switches? My sound is definitely coming from where the defrost vent meets the dash and everything feels tight and in place; just wondering if there's differences in the dash cover that might explain why some of us have this and others don't.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I had this one; hunted for days and even with others this riding in the truck we didn't figure it out. I posted it here and in like ten minutes three others commented to check for the sunglasses lol.
Sponsored