James P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Sales Manager
Hi All,

I am brand new to the site and was wondering if someone has experienced the same problems. I bought my Ranger in early February and I am very pleased with performance and capability of this little truck. I have a couple of concerns though and was hoping that someone in 5g land might have some suggestions. The first issue I have is that is that I seem to have a rattle ( the sound resembles a timing rattle) under moderate acceleration. This issue does not occur all the time but is consistently intermittent, if that makes any sense, almost sounds like a rattling of chain is the only other way to describe it. Another concern I have, is that I have had some hesitation in the truck gearing down, when I am merging from the slow lane into the fast lane. It seems that I have an initial power loss, which feels almost like a turbo lag. Again this does not happen all the time. I also have experienced some hard gear changes in the ranges from 5-7. Hearing about these problems, would it be worth it to have the dealer re-flash the pcm?

Cheers, James
Sponsored

GTHAYS

First Name
Glynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX
Occupation
23 Years in Prison on the 8 hour installment plan. (Retired, intact)
Hi All,

I am brand new to the site and was wondering if someone has experienced the same problems. I bought my Ranger in early February and I am very pleased with performance and capability of this little truck. I have a couple of concerns though and was hoping that someone in 5g land might have some suggestions. The first issue I have is that is that I seem to have a rattle ( the sound resembles a timing rattle) under moderate acceleration. This issue does not occur all the time but is consistently intermittent, if that makes any sense, almost sounds like a rattling of chain is the only other way to describe it. Another concern I have, is that I have had some hesitation in the truck gearing down, when I am merging from the slow lane into the fast lane. It seems that I have an initial power loss, which feels almost like a turbo lag. Again this does not happen all the time. I also have experienced some hard gear changes in the ranges from 5-7. Hearing about these problems, would it be worth it to have the dealer re-flash the pcm?

Cheers, James
Pretty sure that a tailgate dampener will fix it. LOL. Honestly I haven't had any of these problems. What octane fuel are you using?

GTHAYS

First Name
Glynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX
Occupation
23 Years in Prison on the 8 hour installment plan. (Retired, intact)
Oh for sure :) I run mostly 87 octane.
Maybe run higher octane fuel and see if that helps? I have only run 91 and 93 because I can get 28 and 29 MPG doing that. Might clean up the hesitation.

OP
OP
First Name
James P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Sales Manager
Maybe run higher octane fuel and see if that helps? I have only run 91 and 93 because I can get 28 and 29 MPG doing that. Might clean up the hesitation.
Will give it a try and see if it clear things up. With mileage like that, it’s definitely worth a go.

OP
OP
First Name
James P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Sales Manager
Is the rattle the HP fuel pump buzz? Or is it different?
As for merging, put it into S. The gearing and RPM are better matched for that kind of driving. Once happy in your left lane, doing 3miles an hour above the speed limit, put it back in D and enjoy your fuel economy gearing.
The hard gear changes, live with it. Ford wont change a thing. The transmission goes through an adjustment process as you put more miles on it, but in the end, most people still have shifting issues of some sort. Ford says this is normal.
I don’t think it is the fuel pump. The only way I can describe it is like rattling or popping..I have been running just 87 octane when daily driving. I’ll give the sport mode suggestion a shot and see if that improves. Do you think it is worth to re flash the pcm as it is suggested in some threads? Or will I be starting at square one with the learning cycle of the gear box?

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Possible it's a heat shield vibrating somewhere when the engine vibrates at a certain frequency?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think it is the fuel pump. The only way I can describe it is like rattling or popping..I have been running just 87 octane when daily driving. I’ll give the sport mode suggestion a shot and see if that improves. Do you think it is worth to re flash the pcm as it is suggested in some threads? Or will I be starting at square one with the learning cycle of the gear box?
Hi James,

Do a neutral engine runup to the rpm where you notice this. If it is exhaust related you should be able to reproduce this rattle/buzz. Then a crawl around the bottom of the vehicle will allow you to pinpoint the source of the noise if heat shield/exhaust related. Takes two people...one on the gas pedal and one crawling around. If this is not effective, likely not exhaust related. Make sure you set the parking brake for safety.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
First Name
James P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Sales Manager
Hi James,

Do a neutral engine runup to the rpm where you notice this. If it is exhaust related you should be able to reproduce this rattle/buzz. Then a crawl around the bottom of the vehicle will allow you to pinpoint the source of the noise if heat shield/exhaust related. Takes two people...one on the gas pedal and one crawling around. If this is not effective, likely not exhaust related. Make sure you set the parking brake for safety.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for the tip Phil. When I get home from work later, I’ll enlist my son to give me a hand to locate.

Cheers, James

tanner morley

First Name
tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt sport
Occupation
nurse
Hey did you ever figure the problem out? I am also having this issue

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/engine-rattle.21658/

Another discussion regarding the noise. Several people have it, seems that it is 'normal'. Probably has something to do with the high-pressure fuel system.

I notice it most when I'm pulling the travel trailer. Lots of time under load and I can hear it plain as day.

I do have another theory that it could possibly be the multi-plate clutches in the trans, given that the converter stays locked on the 10R80 a lot of the time, and a 4 cylinder engine is not as smooth as a V6/V8 it is possible, I would think, that you could get some rattle through those plates (any of the clutch packs that aren't engaged). Anyone that's had a motorcycle with a multi-plate clutch knows that sound.

But that's just a thought. I'll pay closer attention to it in may when we're on the road for about 1000 miles with the trailer.
Sponsored

Last edited: