CVF catted downpipe

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
The heater circuit for the 02 sensor won't be affected by the spacer. You need to properly diagnose that code. You probably have a sensor failing. But it could be a bad connection somewhere.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Oh
The heater circuit for the 02 sensor won't be affected by the spacer. You need to properly diagnose that code. You probably have a sensor failing. But it could be a bad connection somewhere.
Ok thanks. Maybe it got too hot or I need to reconnect it.

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
It's illegal to add that I would think. Just like you're not really supposed to put a spacer but you can buy it and do what you want with it.
I don't know about those things but it just seems to me there is an engineering solution even if it means a different Ford sensor or some type of pigtail electronic filter or circuit. I suspect the O2 sensor is more than a pollution control component and wonder if some type of 'incidental' dimple in the downpipe would mimic the 'correct' flow so the (I presume) velocity of the exhaust doesn't affect the sensor(s) or reliability/performance.

I'd also be curious if it creates complications for tuners as being out of normal parameters might lead to problems with their causing major problems.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know about those things but it just seems to me there is an engineering solution even if it means a different Ford sensor or some type of pigtail electronic filter or circuit. I suspect the O2 sensor is more than a pollution control component and wonder if some type of 'incidental' dimple in the downpipe would mimic the 'correct' flow so the (I presume) velocity of the exhaust doesn't affect the sensor(s) or reliability/performance.

I'd also be curious if it creates complications for tuners as being out of normal parameters might lead to problems with their causing major problems.
What I do know: tuners can't bypass the O2 sensor like they did in the past with catless downpipes because now it is illegal to sell catless downpipes and it is illegal to bypass the sensor so the aftermarket community is doing what they can by providing a high flow cat and it is upon the consumer to deal with the sensor in any way shape or form that we can come up with together.

My goal is to help the community because I don't like being stock.

Opinion: stock is boring but it takes work, maintenance, and mechanical aptitude to stay modded.

JoeyRig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
@Superdannyboy

I have the CVF downpipe and got a CEL. About to put on the elbow spacer from this thread. Did the (actual) middle restrictor fix your CEL? And did you face the elbow towards the turbo? And where did you put the copper washer, between the downpipe and elbow I assume?

Thank you!

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Superdannyboy

I have the CVF downpipe and got a CEL. About to put on the elbow spacer from this thread. Did the (actual) middle restrictor fix your CEL? And did you face the elbow towards the turbo? And where did you put the copper washer, between the downpipe and elbow I assume?

Thank you!
Hey what's up man. I actually used the least restrictive restrictor so the the one with the biggest hole. This got rid of the CEL and I pointed the spacer up towards the turbo. You should be able to see how I put the assembly together in this picture. I believe I put the washer between the sensor and the spacer/elbow, not the spacer/elbow and the downpipe.
PXL_20230322_234114059.MP~2.jpg

JoeyRig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Hey what's up man. I actually used the least restrictive restrictor so the the one with the biggest hole. This got rid of the CEL and I pointed the spacer up towards the turbo. You should be able to see how I put the assembly together in this picture. I believe I put the washer between the sensor and the spacer/elbow, not the spacer/elbow and the downpipe.
PXL_20230322_234114059.MP~2.jpg
Thank you very much! Sorry for skipping the niceties, I finally got the elbow and in got overzealous, and pulled the sensor out before even opening the elbow. I really appreciate the help, this thread was a huge help in getting the dp on and now hopefully getting the CEL to go away.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you very much! Sorry for skipping the niceties, I finally got the elbow and in got overzealous, and pulled the sensor out before even opening the elbow. I really appreciate the help, this thread was a huge help in getting the dp on and now hopefully getting the CEL to go away.
For sure. CVF makes great products man, I can't stand the stock downpipe now. Are you running a tune?

JoeyRig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
For sure. CVF makes great products man, I can't stand the stock downpipe now. Are you running a tune?
No tune yet, wanted to get my CEL sorted and I also have a gnarly exhaust leak between the downpipe proper and the reducer to the stock exhaust. PPE offered me a discount for some misprinted instructions that resulted in a broken bolt so I really want to invest in some V band clamps and flanges. Eventually I'm gonna go with a new 3" SS exhaust and fit up a C&R turbo I picked up off here.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No tune yet, wanted to get my CEL sorted and I also have a gnarly exhaust leak between the downpipe proper and the reducer to the stock exhaust. PPE offered me a discount for some misprinted instructions that resulted in a broken bolt so I really want to invest in some V band clamps and flanges. Eventually I'm gonna go with a new 3" SS exhaust and fit up a C&R turbo I picked up off here.
Ok gotcha. Yea the spacer will definitely get rid of the CEL. For the exhaust leak I would suggest go ahead and replace the flex pipe with a 3 inch flex pipe to the downpipe so when you get the 3" SS exhaust it'll be a true 3" from turbo back. What turbo did you get? That oughta go nice with the downpipe.

JoeyRig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Ok gotcha. Yea the spacer will definitely get rid of the CEL. For the exhaust leak I would suggest go ahead and replace the flex pipe with a 3 inch flex pipe to the downpipe so when you get the 3" SS exhaust it'll be a true 3" from turbo back. What turbo did you get? That oughta go nice with the downpipe.
Well I realized I can't screw on the spacer with the DP on the truck so I'm going to hold off for now and do everything at once, turbo and spacer so I don't have to do it all over again.

And you're thinking from the DP, right into a 3" flex pipe? then, just for now, a reducer after the flex pipe to the stock exhaust until I can figure out the whole exhaust system?

And this is the turbo I plan to swap in. I'm currently looking through all the manuals to find all the parts Ford recommends replacing. So far I have a boatload of gaskets, some tubes, and o rings.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I realized I can't screw on the spacer with the DP on the truck so I'm going to hold off for now and do everything at once, turbo and spacer so I don't have to do it all over again.

And you're thinking from the DP, right into a 3" flex pipe? then, just for now, a reducer after the flex pipe to the stock exhaust until I can figure out the whole exhaust system?

And this is the turbo I plan to swap in. I'm currently looking through all the manuals to find all the parts Ford recommends replacing. So far I have a boatload of gaskets, some tubes, and o rings.
Yea I ended up taking off the DP for the spacer too.

I was thinking to do the 3" flex pipe but I forgot you would still need a reducer and the stock flex pipe is probably your best best and use the reducer that CVF includes from the DP to the stock flex pipe.

If you could start up a thread in the turbo install that would be great. Doesn't have to be perfect, just give us some direction.

CVF-Jason

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
General Sales Manager
Hey folks - since the thread is active just a head's up that our best sale of the year is active! 10% off plus no taxes added (we eat the cost) and free shipping to the lower 48 on any CVF-branded products. Feel free to give me a shout via PM if you have any questions as well!

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
You might want to have a special savings account for "new 5g engine"....... :wink:

Just in case.....

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You might want to have a special savings account for "new 5g engine"....... :wink:

Just in case.....
I was thinking like what engine should I put when I blow the engine and I kept thinking coyote coyote coyote, but I would think that would be so difficult when we could just get the engine rebuilt stronger and the trans rebuilt for heavy towing and it'll be an absolute ripper. My dream is an older ranger with the coyote fully caged. Just picked up my tube bender, stand, and die and 20 ton press and brake kit. I better get to fabbing to learn how to build my own stuff!

Also, our engine is fine with an intake, downpipe, intercooler pipes, intercooler, exhaust, and even an upgraded turbo. It's still a small turbo and the upgraded wheel isn't that big compared to other upgraded turbos for other platforms.
Sponsored