CVF catted downpipe

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
@Superdannyboy - My friend uses the smallest insert. But to clarify this is only needed for catless downpipes.

Your downpipe is catted so should pass inspection as I would think the catted downpipe doesnt cause a CEL. Also, I’ve never seen an inspection failed for the presence of an aftermarket cat.
@Superdannyboy has a CEL from the catted version. I have seen other posts where it has happened for other folks. I think I remember reading that the middle insert is best for the CVF catted downpipe.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
@Superdannyboy has a CEL from the catted version. I have seen other posts where it has happened for other folks. I think I remember reading that the middle insert is best for the CVF catted downpipe.
Yea I have the high flow cat and I've had the CEL for months. I have the defouler already set with the middle size restrictor I'm gonna see if I can put it on without removing the downpipe.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
Good call on middle insert if catted. Sorry getting a CEL with a cat as that’s supposed to be one of the benefits of catted vs catless.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Not that I know nothing from nothin but I'd figure a cat off a dual cat luxe production V8 4.7l or bigger with the bigger inlet/outlet and shielded/recessed O2 bung with measurably more flow could be quiet.

The increased noise I keep reading regarding what is currently available is kind of a turn off. I'm happy with my exhaust system note and don't want add a resonator back in.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not that I know nothing from nothin but I'd figure a cat off a dual cat luxe production V8 4.7l or bigger with the bigger inlet/outlet and shielded/recessed O2 bung with measurably more flow could be quiet.

The increased noise I keep reading regarding what is currently available is kind of a turn off. I'm happy with my exhaust system note and don't want add a resonator back in.
Hey that sounds like a great idea. Honestly the sound has grown on me and has gotten a little deeper over time.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just an update:

I ended up removing the downpipe to install the spacer and it was waaaaaay easier to remove than the first time. It was actually quick. Used the middle size restrictor and haven't had a CEL.

Edit: I actually used the least restrictive restrictor (biggest hole)

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Just an update:

I ended up removing the downpipe to install the spacer and it was waaaaaay easier to remove than the first time. It was actually quick. Used the middle size restrictor and haven't had a CEL.
Explain the restrictor? Is it for the O2 sensor or the diameter of the inlet/outlet? I would guess it 'restricts' something which is counter to the intent of a bigger diameter downpipe.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Explain the restrictor? Is it for the O2 sensor or the diameter of the inlet/outlet? I would guess it 'restricts' something which is counter to the intent of a bigger diameter downpipe.
O2 sensor

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
First Name
Colson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
Ford mechanic
Just an update:

what spacer did you use and could u possibly drop a link, I'm looking at getting the cv fab catted downpipe but don't want a cel

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what spacer did you use and could u possibly drop a link, I'm looking at getting the cv fab catted downpipe but don't want a cel
Post #22
I used the middle restrictor that it comes with.

Edit: least restrictive

Last edited:
OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update, got a CEL. This time it was saying that the computer doesn't like the ratio coming out of the exhaust. Went to switch to a different size restrictor and guess what. I had it mistaken. I used the highest flowing restrictor when I thought I used the middle one. I can clear the code and it doesn't show as often as before the spacer but it's a different code. The code was p0036 and gave the following issue, "heater circuit malfunction". I'll swap the restrictor to the middle one and see if it helps. I'm currently at 13 mpg but I did just switch to 35's. I do think it is causing more fuel consumption. I'll also wrap the downpipe in exhaust wrap because in the summer the under hood temps get high if I don't shut off the engine while idling.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's the kind of thing that should be engineered into the product not an add on.
It's illegal to add that I would think. Just like you're not really supposed to put a spacer but you can buy it and do what you want with it.
Sponsored