OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Alright 2 month review.

What I love the most is hearing the turbo spool louder. I can actually hear the turbo when I get on the gas.

The downside, personally, is that the exhaust is much louder so I hear the turbo, but I hear the exhaust a lot too. Especially from a stop in 1st gear it is loud. I personally don't like that and I would like to put a resonator, or 2, between the downpipe and muffler. That would make it a true full 3" exhaust.

The check engine light stays on and I get tired of clearing it. I just got my inspection before the install so not sure where I'm going next year when it comes time for inspection.

I wouldn't put the stock downpipe on because of one thing and one thing only. The sound of that turbo.
Sponsored

BigIron

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Verette
Occupation
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Alright 2 month review.

What I love the most is hearing the turbo spool louder. I can actually hear the turbo when I get on the gas.

The downside, personally, is that the exhaust is much louder so I hear the turbo, but I hear the exhaust a lot too. Especially from a stop in 1st gear it is loud. I personally don't like that and I would like to put a resonator, or 2, between the downpipe and muffler. That would make it a true full 3" exhaust.

The check engine light stays on and I get tired of clearing it. I just got my inspection before the install so not sure where I'm going next year when it comes time for inspection.

I wouldn't put the stock downpipe on because of one thing and one thing only. The sound of that turbo.
Did you do what they recommended with a defouler to get rid of the check engine light? Just curious as I’m deciding between this DP and SPD, and would rather not have any lights. Plus if you haven’t I’ve heard that’s pretty successful in removing the CEL

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you do what they recommended with a defouler to get rid of the check engine light? Just curious as I’m deciding between this DP and SPD, and would rather not have any lights. Plus if you haven’t I’ve heard that’s pretty successful in removing the CEL
No, I didn't try that trick. I asked 5 star if the DP would cause a CE light and they said they couldn't guarantee it so I took the gamble. I was hoping that was just what they had to say you know what I mean.

BigIron

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Verette
Occupation
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
No, I didn't try that trick. I asked 5 star if the DP would cause a CE light and they said they couldn't guarantee it so I took the gamble. I was hoping that was just what they had to say you know what I mean.
Makes sense! From what I understand it sounds like the check engine light is likely just the O2 sensor from getting quite a bit more airflow that’s likely not as clean. If my research has any truth to it, I’d try a defouler! Might get you through your next inspection and maybe even emissions someday lol. I’ll be sure to update with my experience when I get my downpipe on. The truck sounds great from those video clips!

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Makes sense! From what I understand it sounds like the check engine light is likely just the O2 sensor from getting quite a bit more airflow that’s likely not as clean. If my research has any truth to it, I’d try a defouler! Might get you through your next inspection and maybe even emissions someday lol. I’ll be sure to update with my experience when I get my downpipe on. The truck sounds great from those video clips!
Yea I heard them same, and something about adding a spacer to the sensor or something I'm not sure. I'll put it off until inspection comes around again haha.

BigIron

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Verette
Occupation
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Yea I heard them same, and something about adding a spacer to the sensor or something I'm not sure. I'll put it off until inspection comes around again haha.
Yep, it’s all in the same. The defouler is a spacer for the sensor, basically pushes it back a bit so the sensor doesn’t pick up as much of that high airflow, so doesn’t throw the flags.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
Yes I have a friend who put one of these on his catless DP on his Ranger with the smallest restrictor fitting like 6 mos ago and still CEL free. Just make sure the J points towards the turbo vs towards the muffler from what I understand as that makes a difference. Ebay has had all of these defoulers removed due to EPA crackdown, so grab one soon if needed:

https://fasthemis.com/i-23894159-vi...-degree-w-adjustable-jets-cel-eliminator.html

DB0EEA7D-3BCD-4869-874F-0477FEB771E8.jpeg

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Had to use the defaulter on mine as well.But,knock wood,has been good for the last 200 miles so..

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for an update with anyone running a defouler/spacer. Did the CEL end up coming back on or has it been off for good?

Ranger X

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver Ranger Sport 4x4
Update:
Got the downpipe on this morning before and I'm uploading the tune!
The install was honestly a pain in the butt for most of it. The three nuts I actually loosened up first and without a ratcheting wrench man it was tiring, and very tight of a space! Good thing I can stand on my bumper.
PXL_20220108_203846137.MP.jpg

The most annoying part is have to say is disconnecting the O2 sensors, for me at least. That was a real PIA.
The downpipe comes with a sheet of paper explaining how to turn on the truck and hold some revs to break in the new cat. I'll break it in and post about it after a while!
PXL_20220112_233331965.MP.jpg
PXL_20220112_233848573.jpg
PXL_20220112_233312139.jpg
PXL_20220111_212206802.MP.jpg
She’s beautiful ?

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm due for an inspection and it's time to take the defouler out of the glove box and onto the downpipe. Did you guys use the restrictor with the smallest hole or the biggest hole? Also did anyone add the defouler with the downpipe installed already? Hopefully I can fit a wrench in there with the downpipe installed.

Thanks.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
@Superdannyboy - My friend uses the smallest insert. But to clarify this is only needed for catless downpipes.

Your downpipe is catted so should pass inspection as I would think the catted downpipe doesnt cause a CEL. Also, I’ve never seen an inspection failed for the presence of an aftermarket cat.
Sponsored