OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Hey folks - since the thread is active just a head's up that our best sale of the year is active! 10% off plus no taxes added (we eat the cost) and free shipping to the lower 48 on any CVF-branded products. Feel free to give me a shout via PM if you have any questions as well!
Question,
Is the crinkle black finish on the IC pipes only for aesthetics? Could we order raw aluminum finish?
Sponsored

CVF-Jason

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
General Sales Manager
Question,
Is the crinkle black finish on the IC pipes only for aesthetics? Could we order raw aluminum finish?
Hey! They're made to stock and unfortunately raw is not an option, but we have had folks strip them after purchase as a personal project.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
Question,
I installed my CVF hot side intercooler pipe the other day and noticed that the wrinkle black does “seem” to have an insulating property of some sort, as it stays pretty cool to the touch vs raw metal. Looks very OEM too. If you didn’t know what a 5G came with stock you would think it was a stock part.

BTW some measurements. The stock turbo outlet is 1.5in ID. The stock intercooler hot side piping is 1.5in ID until it gets to the silicone portion that connects to the intercooler, which expands open to 2.5in ID. The only portion of the CVF hot side pipe that is 1.5 in is one half of the elbow that connects the turbo to the hard pipe. The remainder of the CVF hot side piping is 2.3 in ID.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed my CVF hot side intercooler pipe the other day and noticed that the wrinkle black does “seem” to have an insulating property of some sort, as it stays pretty cool to the touch vs raw metal. Looks very OEM too. If you didn’t know what a 5G came with stock you would think it was a stock part.

BTW some measurements. The stock turbo outlet is 1.5in ID. The stock intercooler hot side piping is 1.5in ID until it gets to the silicone portion that connects to the intercooler, which expands open to 2.5in ID. The only portion of the CVF hot side pipe that is 1.5 in is one half of the elbow that connects the turbo to the hard pipe. The remainder of the CVF hot side piping is 2.3 in ID.
That's good to know about the insulation. However, I would like to pop the hood and look very, custom. Like chrome pipes, blue silicon hoses etc.
Screenshot_20230406-200103~2.png

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking like what engine should I put when I blow the engine and I kept thinking coyote coyote coyote, but I would think that would be so difficult when we could just get the engine rebuilt stronger and the trans rebuilt for heavy towing and it'll be an absolute ripper. My dream is an older ranger with the coyote fully caged. Just picked up my tube bender, stand, and die and 20 ton press and brake kit. I better get to fabbing to learn how to build my own stuff!

Also, our engine is fine with an intake, downpipe, intercooler pipes, intercooler, exhaust, and even an upgraded turbo. It's still a small turbo and the upgraded wheel isn't that big compared to other upgraded turbos for other platforms.
I'm just messing with you man....I would love to throw caution to the wind with my Ranger but the wife would have my arse....lol.

Honestly, I just went over 100K and mine still runs like an animal....I have been worried about the tranny with all the talk in here and being high mileage on mine. I have been running the Livernois hottest tune for over 70K (91-93 octane tune with hard-shift) and just recently flashed to the soft-shift tune. I have definitely slowed down a bit, but still hit it hard occasionally. I really can't stand the soft-shift tune....drops the power band considerably. I'm probably going back to the hard-shift soon. BTW, I have an extended warranty till 125K. Not sure if they would cover anything when they analyze my ECU....lol. Have fun making power in that thing....I have!!

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm just messing with you man....I would love to throw caution to the wind with my Ranger but the wife would have my arse....lol.

Honestly, I just went over 100K and mine still runs like an animal....I have been worried about the tranny with all the talk in here and being high mileage on mine. I have been running the Livernois hottest tune for over 70K (91-93 octane tune with hard-shift) and just recently flashed to the soft-shift tune. I have definitely slowed down a bit, but still hit it hard occasionally. I really can't stand the soft-shift tune....drops the power band considerably. I'm probably going back to the hard-shift soon. BTW, I have an extended warranty till 125K. Not sure if they would cover anything when they analyze my ECU....lol. Have fun making power in that thing....I have!!
Yea I figured I'd bite lol.

I've been running the 5star 93 daily and forgot how much of a ripper it is with the 93 performance tune, you know with gas prices and all. I'm averaging 13.2 to 13.5 mpg at the moment. Definitely shifts harder with the performance tune and if you let off the gas too fast it engine breaks hard lol

melficeapoll

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RN
So during my install today i dropped and lost into the abyss, one of the three nuts that attach the downpipe to the rest of the engine. Does anyone know what size nut it is?

Lempar

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger xlt xf4
Occupation
Welder
I, for the life of me cannot Crack the engine side nut. It is torqued so tight. No room and no leverage. I've heated it. Let penetrating fluid sit for 24hrs. Any suggestions ?

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I, for the life of me cannot Crack the engine side nut. It is torqued so tight. No room and no leverage. I've heated it. Let penetrating fluid sit for 24hrs. Any suggestions ?
I'm not sure if I broke it free from up top or from down under but try both.

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
That's good to know about the insulation. However, I would like to pop the hood and look very, custom. Like chrome pipes, blue silicon hoses etc.
Screenshot_20230406-200103~2.png
I have Mishimoto pipes but…. It’s not a big deal to have them recoated any way you want.

IMG_4751.jpeg

IMG_4754.jpeg

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
...our engine is fine with an intake, downpipe, intercooler pipes, intercooler, exhaust, and even an upgraded turbo. It's still a small turbo and the upgraded wheel isn't that big compared to other upgraded turbos for other platforms.
For street driving I feel the factory turbo is well matched to our trucks as far as size/performance. I do wonder if some modest upgrades or impeller design might broaden the performance without upsetting the stock ECU - or allow for some additional tuning.

The associated systems attached to the turbo seem like areas to improve things - air management and exhaust. The downpipe+exhaust would free up back pressure and besides intercooler+charge pipes there looks like some tweaks ahead of the turbo would be nice.

I don't know about altering the throttle body.

Once again I'm thinking of @Loweredon33s intake-to-turbo elbow as a part of overall mods.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea I think I broke it free from down under and then went back up top with a tiny ratcheting wrench to fully loosen it. I've done it about 3 times now and my pipe is fully wrapped with exhaust wrap. It's only the first time that it's so tight.

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
For street driving I feel the factory turbo is well matched to our trucks as far as size/performance. I do wonder if some modest upgrades or impeller design might broaden the performance without upsetting the stock ECU - or allow for some additional tuning.

The associated systems attached to the turbo seem like areas to improve things - air management and exhaust. The downpipe+exhaust would free up back pressure and besides intercooler+charge pipes there looks like some tweaks ahead of the turbo would be nice.

I don't know about altering the throttle body.

Once again I'm thinking of @Loweredon33s intake-to-turbo elbow as a part of overall mods.
A better straw makes it easier to drink the milkshake!

Lempar

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger xlt xf4
Occupation
Welder
Yea I think I broke it free from down under and then went back up top with a tiny ratcheting wrench to fully loosen it. I've done it about 3 times now and my pipe is fully wrapped with exhaust wrap. It's only the first time that it's so tight.
So I eneded up paying my mechanic which I hate myself for but even they had a really hard time with it. Took them 3hrs. And cost me $300. Mechanic said 02 sensors were the worst part. First impressions, wow. What a difference. Power is on tap. I've done turbo back with mbrp single side exit and exhaust is definitely louder. Cold start is not gonna be fun for the neighbour's in the winter. There is a slight bit more drone in the cabin in throughout the gears but smooths out you get higher up. Torrie adjusted my 91 tune and this thing is a beast. I've also done mishimoto charge pipes and BOV plumback. This thing brings so much joy to my life now.
Sponsored