First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I don't necessarily "regularly" get 400+ miles on a tank, but it's been known to happen quite a few times. In fact, I'm quite confident I could eek out 500+ if I really wanted and the conditions were right. I usually get about 350 on a tank of just work commuting.

In a clean profile on a nice non-winter day I usually get between 27-29mpg on the highway (60-65mph). But that doesn't happen too often, since in the spring/summer/fall we usually either have the camper or kayaks on a long trip, so that knocks it down. And in the winter I get hit with the cold temps and winter blend for a nice knockdown. The addition of the topper has added about 2mpg across the board in my experience as well.
Ah, I see what you mean. Ecoboost engines are so temperamental when it comes to fuel economy. I've also noticed high 20s when I'm driving 60 mph or so, but that goes down the drain the moment you're driving 75+ mph. My commuting is nearly all interstate at 75 mph and then some city driving so it makes sense I'm not getting the same range as you. Winter blend takes out a chunk too. Didn't realize that the topper improves mileage by that much though!
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

Ah, I see what you mean. Ecoboost engines are so temperamental when it comes to fuel economy. I've also noticed high 20s when I'm driving 60 mph or so, but that goes down the drain the moment you're driving 75+ mph. My commuting is nearly all interstate at 75 mph and then some city driving so it makes sense I'm not getting the same range as you. Winter blend takes out a chunk too. Didn't realize that the topper improves mileage by that much though!
True, but it is nice to at least have the ability to get really good gas mileage, relatively speaking. The EcoBoost is the best of both worlds in my mind. Plenty of power when you need it, but wonderfully efficient when you don't. I tend to lean quite a bit to the latter. haha

Yeah, it definitely drops quickly the faster you go above 55-60. Luckily we don't have many roads with a speed limit higher than 60 around here, or on the way to the places we usually go. Just the freeway down to The Cities is set at 70, and we haven't done that much this year for obvious reasons.

I was surprised to see the increase from the topper as well. I figured it'd be a wash at best. Loss from more weight, but gain from a cleaner profile equaling out. But turns out it's noticeably better. Went from 22 to 24 mpg on my work commute, 18 to 20 while towing the camper, 24 to 26 with the kayaks, etc. So it seems no matter the configuration, I get the same increase, which is quite pleasing! haha

OP
OP
Taykel

Taykel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Self Employed