Constantly getting flashed for brights

Ranger1701

First Name
Jillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Hi. I find that I am constantly getting flashed that my brights are on when they are not on at all. I have a Lariet, which I believe comes with some fancy lights or something. I'm getting flashed by like 50% of cars that pass me. Even many semi trucks are flashing me. There's got to be something wrong.

It seems maybe they're aimed incorrectly? If so, how can I aim them down a little?

If not, what else can it be?
Sponsored

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Hmm. You could try and lower them slightly, which I wouldn't do because IMO they are too low from the factory to begin with. That was on my XLT though, can't say though on the Led lariat lights.
They flash you in other trucks you have had? Cars seem to get hit with the light worse because they are so low.
Its interesting that semi's are flashin too they are pretty high up there.

People need to call down with the flashing, lights are soo much brighter nowadays and I quit flashin people a long time ago. Driving my ford focus and I flashed the wrong person (in a truck). That thing lit up like the surface of the sun. Probly 50 inch bar + a couple in the bumper. I was seeing spots for hours.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi. I find that I am constantly getting flashed that my brights are on when they are not on at all. I have a Lariet, which I believe comes with some fancy lights or something. I'm getting flashed by like 50% of cars that pass me. Even many semi trucks are flashing me. There's got to be something wrong.

It seems maybe they're aimed incorrectly? If so, how can I aim them down a little?

Hi Ranger1701

Is your truck lifted? As I recall from other posts that some folks needed to adjust the low beams after a lift. If not, it might be better to get the dealer involved in making an adjustment to factory specs. Since wife and I are rarely out at night I have little experience with my Lariat lights at night.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Ranger1701

Ranger1701

First Name
Jillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Hi. My truck is not lifted. It's a standard Lariet with Fx4. I've not had the same experience with my Escape, nor any other car. :(

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Interestingly I've had that issue with my old Escape. (Late model) the lights on that were so damn bright every other car would flash me.

Then I'd flash them back with my brights to show them what brights really are - SUPER bright. The car is aimed correct and everything. The lights where just bright.

Deleted member 1634

I used to get this a lot in my Subaru Crosstrek when I owned it (traded for the Ranger), even though nothing was wrong with that thing and it's much lower to the ground. I've even gotten it a few times in the Ranger, with the XLT dull halogens, while sitting at a stoplight. By a semi there too. But my side sits higher than the oncoming side, so even properly aimed dull lights are shining right into their faces, nothing to be done about it. Which makes it even more annoying when people flash at that light. Might be something to consider too. If you're getting flashed at the same point(s) along your route every time, it might just be the nature of the road.

As @geophb mentioned, I just don't even bother flashing people anymore. If someone has too bright of lights, I'll just stare off at the white line for a few seconds while it passes, then back to normal. And as he also said, modern headlights now are so bright as stock, it's not worth it, because there's nothing for the oncoming driver to do about it. The new Silverado and F-150 LEDs are crazy bright, but perfectly legal and compliant.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Driving my ford focus and I flashed the wrong person (in a truck). That thing lit up like the surface of the sun. Probly 50 inch bar + a couple in the bumper. I was seeing spots for hours.
It was probably Sids (@Msfitoy). That truck you could see from Mars! :sunglasses:

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy

I notice how my lights bounce on rough roads making appearance of me flicking the highs on and off . So the on coming drivers return with their highs on and off . I blame the factory shocks .

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
It was probably Sids (@Msfitoy). That truck you could see from Mars! :sunglasses:
I would never..."come on man" (famous philosopher Joe) :crackup:

I always keep in the back of my head that you never know who you might be messing with...like a off duty cop? They do have to get to and from work without their cruiser ?

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
I notice how my lights bounce on rough roads making appearance of me flicking the highs on and off . So the on coming drivers return with their highs on and off . I blame the factory shocks .
This most likely. The LEDs on my Dad's Ram have a very sharp cut off, and bumps on the road cause this. I'm from a small town and everyone knows everyone, so people have actually commented when I see them in stores/shops about driving with high beams on/flashing lights at them. I explain that I was not doing that, it's probably the cut off. They want bright, I've got about 150k lumens in LEDs on the front of the Jeep...

Check to make sure that you dont' have them misaimed from the factory, or the LEDs are not seated in the housing correctly. Swap vehicles with someone and pass each other to see if you have scatter or somethign weird.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Nobody has mentioned this yet so I'll explain it: Adjusting the aim on your headlights is very easy and only requires a phillips head screwdriver. Consult the owner's manual - but the gist is you'll park the truck so it is pointing at a wall or garage door about 20ish feet away. Pop the hood and you'll find the adjustment screws at the top rear area of the headlights. Turn the adjustment one way and the lights will go up, the other and they will go down.

As Phil said though, you may want to just take it back to the dealer and have them make sure they are aimed correctly. The LED headlights in the Lariat are VERY bright.

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
Turn your auto High Beams OFF.
Sponsored