OP

chamackO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
Given the responses, seems like no one else has done this. I’m going to place a work light behind the grill/bumper area to see how much illumination I get. The plan would be to mount a rear facing light behind the grill with an aux switch so I’m only using in deer country. Wouldn’t want to run this otherwise.

For context, I struck a deer a few years ago on the highway in Northern Idaho. Wasn’t speeding, but not sure I could’ve gone any slower given the flow of traffic. Running ditch lights would’ve definitely upset oncoming highway traffic.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
4. No headlamp shall be used upon any motor vehicle except a motorcycle operated upon the public highways of this state, unless such lamp is approved by the commissioner or is equipped with a lens or other device approved by the commissioner. Every such headlamp, lens or other device shall be applied and adjusted in accordance with the requirements of the certificate approving the use thereof. Every such headlamp shall be firmly and substantially mounted on the motor vehicle in such manner as to allow the lamp to be properly and readily adjusted. The operator of every motor vehicle shall permit any police officer or other person exercising police powers to inspect the equipment of such motor vehicle, and make such tests as may be necessary to determine whether the provisions of this section are being complied with.

Any certificate of approval heretofore issued pursuant to law, or hereafter issued by the commissioner may be revoked by the commissioner, after a hearing of which the person or corporation named therein, or his or its successor in interest, shall have been given reasonable notice and an opportunity to appear and be heard upon the ground that the device does not comply with the provisions of this section, and the rules and regulations of the commissioner and the decision of the commissioner revoking such certificate shall be final; such revocation, however, of a lens or other headlighting device heretofore or hereafter approved shall not take effect until six months after the decision of the commissioner revoking the same and shall apply only to vehicles manufactured and used thereafter on the highways of this state. [/SIZE]
Wow my headlights need to be approved by the commissioner of New York before I can drive on their roads. I'm glad I know that before I visit there. I'm sure he looks at and approves every new vehicle's headlights. Loop

Might want to get the legislature working on a rewrite there. Probably as important as some of their other projects. ?

T Bone

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Southern Adirondack Mountains of upstate NY
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
Wow my headlights need to be approved by the commissioner of New York before I can drive on their roads. I'm glad I know that before I visit there. I'm sure he looks at and approves every new vehicle's headlights. Loop

Might want to get the legislature working on a rewrite there. Probably as important as some of their other projects. ?
yes the tax me state has some screwed up laws. Our Gov is a total loser yet continues to keep the support of his party etc etc...........The local popo are pretty easy going, its the Troopers that will nail your ass to the wall for any infraction.

OP
OP

chamackO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
I stuck a small work light behind the grill to see the concept. This isn’t the best attempt but I am definitely interested in doing it. Need more illumination behind the grill and bumper but I don’t think it’ll come close to being too bright relative to the head lights and fogs

02AB182D-E8A8-48A4-AB44-56E144843DE1.jpeg

JeffWoodall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4
Occupation
Security, Retired military (20 yrs), retired law enforcement (15 yrs)
Vehicle Showcase
Hunting deer with a spot light at night is illegal.
I have been debating on changing out the stock running boards on my Ranger for Westin 4 inch nerf bars (I had these on my F-150 and really like them). What do you have on your truck? My problem with the stock running boards is that, for my wife, getting out of the truck there is only a couple of inches to use, maybe just a little more, but I think the nerf bars stick out more, which is what I want. Do you find that to be the case with your setup? Thanks

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
I have been debating on changing out the stock running boards on my Ranger for Westin 4 inch nerf bars (I had these on my F-150 and really like them). What do you have on your truck? My problem with the stock running boards is that, for my wife, getting out of the truck there is only a couple of inches to use, maybe just a little more, but I think the nerf bars stick out more, which is what I want. Do you find that to be the case with your setup? Thanks
I have the 3 inch nerf bars from realtruck. I paid about 150 for them. My wife uses them to get in and out. She is good with them and we bought them because she is able to put her foot comfortably on the bar. The flat running boards didn't appear to have rhe room as you mentioned. She is happy with them and even my steel toe boots fit fine. Size 9. They seem to be lower too, but we dont offroad so they work just fine for us. One priblem with them. The plastic where the "step" is, seems to be pretty low quality. They feel flimsy and ready to break off. So we watch how rough we treat them. But holding up so far. Ive had them since February. Then again, 150 bucks, not a bad price. So if the plastic is a little thin.......150$ not 700$, so i expect it. They are working just fine, step on them to clean windshield, and get in and out and still feel sturdy. Good luck on your search.

Rapid Roy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Retired
did you folks actually read the article? They showed pics of this system.

nwrc-deer-lights.jpg

Neither the driver nor ppl behind you would see these lights. Nothing is going to actually shine directly in anyone's face.

It makes sense that it would reduce deer collisions. Deer, with their eyes on the sides of their head to increase their FIELD of view, have shit depth perception. It's difficult to judge distance on the headlights of a vehicle in the dark even when you DO have the anatomy for depth perception. Couldn't imagine how difficult that is for a prey animal. I don't imagine that something like this would need to be terribly bright to work. But it also looks like it should be simple enough to implement.
Looks good to me they might also help with visibility in fog

erty176

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Designer
I stuck a small work light behind the grill to see the concept. This isn’t the best attempt but I am definitely interested in doing it. Need more illumination behind the grill and bumper but I don’t think it’ll come close to being too bright relative to the head lights and fogs

02AB182D-E8A8-48A4-AB44-56E144843DE1.jpeg
I'd be curious if maybe spray painting the radiator black and then adding the light might help reduce glare off it and point a little bit of the light back forward again get more of a glow effect vs reflection effect. Otherwise long as the light isn't any more then the headlight I don't see any major issues.

Dunneldeen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
I'd be curious if maybe spray painting the radiator black and then adding the light might help reduce glare off it and point a little bit of the light back forward again get more of a glow effect vs reflection effect. Otherwise long as the light isn't any more then the headlight I don't see any major issues.
I surely could be wrong on this, but spray painting ones radiator sounds like an uwise idea.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I was sitting still in my old GMC truck in the middle of the day and one came through the rear passenger window, got the door and quarter panel…my wife caught one with her mustang a week or two ago.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Any thoughts on rear facing lights? Found this research about efficacy of lights to avoid deer strikes. Had a deer strike accident two years ago in a rental van that I don’t want to repeat again.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/newsroom/stakeholder-info/sa_by_date/sa-2020/sa-07/nwrc-deer-lights
ive found good amber lights help me see the deer better without having to have the bright whites on. the four ugly squares on my ranger are basically for deer. the ambers do not piss off other drivers as much and of course i turn them off when a car comes. i dont know if it helps deer avoid me at all but, the contrast makes them stand out faster for me and gives time to slown down and avoid hitting them. ive tried most of those deer whistles etc. and they are just gimmicks. only real help is seeing them early and going slow.
my cousins and i were bird hunting several years ago and we heard a loud thud in the brush. later we go back to the truck to find a whitetail buck had run full tilt into the truck bed knocked him self stupid and smashed in the bed side. deer was alive but out cold and had blood coming out his nose and ears. i assume the shot gun sounds sent him running away in a panic and thats how he found the pickup. we put him down then in the freezer. humane thing to do, could not leave it just knocked out and bleeding to death.
Sponsored