Coming up on 90K...what preventative maintenance should be performed?

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I took delivery of my Ranger March 8, 2019. Here's my current mileage according to the Ford app
Screenshot_20220320-203539.png
4000 miles in 3 years? May I ask why did you invest in a new truck to have it sit around?
Sponsored

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
What about a walnut blast for the valves? I know DI engines sometimes have issues with carbon buildup due to oil blow by. I haven't see much on this and what a set of valves looks like after 100k on our engines yet, just the catch can vs no catch can discussion.

This was super popular as preventative maintenance when I was into N54 bimmers.

Last edited:

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
I plan on keeping this truck. And I want to keep it looking like new. Who knows, I may get an offer I can't refuse.
No worries, I know exactly where your coming from. Maybe we should start a “who has the lowest miles” thread. Got ya beat by a bit tho. Ordered and picked up July 2019.
A3AA4992-99B8-4190-8DA5-8EA4515CE0A6.jpeg

TremorPNW

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger lariat tremor
4000 miles in 3 years? May I ask why did you invest in a new truck to have it sit around?
Nice.. I am trying to keep my mileage to around 5k per year. Still have my grand cherokee that i bought new 10 years ago my wife drives it. 52000 miles

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Sid packing around all those lights has got to need some kind of maintenance? Maybe check all your fuses and bulbs. LOL!

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
How long did your brake pads typically last?

I remember hearing about how brake fluid is hydroscopic so it should be replaced as it takes on water. This was a long time ago though maybe that's a problem that's been solved?

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Lol....I only have 20,877 on mine after 20 months. :frown:

Oh the heck with it Sid go ahead and laugh! ?
I've got ya beat Dave. I'm 15 months in, and just had my 8K mile oil change. We'll never catch Sid this way.......

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I've got ya beat Dave. I'm 15 months in, and just had my 8K mile oil change. We'll never catch Sid this way.......
Sad part is even if we add both our together we're not even half his mileage. :shock:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Sid packing around all those lights has got to need some kind of maintenance? Maybe check all your fuses and bulbs. LOL!
I heard he changes his alternator annually to keep voltage up

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I know a few members here have more miles and some who don't may be thinking along the same line...looking for advice as to what IS and what IS NOT necessary at this stage of ownership...most of you know I have a Unicorn and maybe due to my care not to abuse my ride, she has treated me very very well...nothings broken, nothing to complain about...but a few things are lined up with a local pro...

• Transmission flush and filter change, scheduled
  • Front/rear differentials, fluid replaced at 50K
  • Coolant flush? Fluid stays constant and color looks fresh...needed?
  • Brake fluid flush? Pads and rotor looks great with plenty of life left and smooth even wear at all four...needed?
  • HVAC working as designed

Any advice would be appreciated...thanks in advance...
My fiscally responsible and safety-conscious goal with vehicles is to pay them off in five years and trade them in at 100,000 miles, and so I am glad to see that some forum members are in their 90s (thousand miles, I mean) with no major issues. With previous vehicles, I would usually hit five years and 100,000 miles at about the same time, but with the pandemic and now continued working from home, my 2019 Lariat has only 20,000 miles...

5280Ranger

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Occupation
Dealership
I know a few members here have more miles and some who don't may be thinking along the same line...looking for advice as to what IS and what IS NOT necessary at this stage of ownership...most of you know I have a Unicorn and maybe due to my care not to abuse my ride, she has treated me very very well...nothings broken, nothing to complain about...but a few things are lined up with a local pro...

• Transmission flush and filter change, scheduled
  • Front/rear differentials, fluid replaced at 50K
  • Coolant flush? Fluid stays constant and color looks fresh...needed?
  • Brake fluid flush? Pads and rotor looks great with plenty of life left and smooth even wear at all four...needed?
  • HVAC working as designed

Any advice would be appreciated...thanks in advance...
At 90k you should be due for front, rear diff service, transfer case, transmission is every 30-60k depending on weight and use. Coolant is at 75k. Brake fluid has a shelf life if 2 years and will deteriorate quicker with use and weight of vehicle. Hope this helps.

5280Ranger

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Occupation
Dealership
At 90k you should be due for front, rear diff service, transfer case, transmission is every 30-60k depending on weight and use. Coolant is at 75k. Brake fluid has a shelf life if 2 years and will deteriorate quicker with use and weight of vehicle. Hope this helps.
Sorry. As an eco boost should should be doing plugs at 60k ish.

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
At 97K now...I've done all the diffs, plugs, trans fluid/filter change...coolant looks like new...should I bother? Brakes? My pads still have around 8mm all around and smooth rotors...I coin my driving style, "Hyper Smoothing"... ?
Sponsored