Muscam1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Hi Folks,

I will quote one of my Ranger Engineers, now departed this earth sadly, Jimmy W. "There are only two kinds of plastic. Broken and About to be broken"

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil - I like you buddy :) Seriously thanks for all your forum contributions - you are GREAT!
Sponsored

OP
OP
treimche

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Ford ordered me a new driver's door check and it was installed yesterday. I also had them check out the taillight safety recall while they were at it, and my Ranger is fine. I guess time will tell if it was a faulty door check or if they will continue to break.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I'm going to resurrect this thread.

Mine has not broken , but I kept looking at it and it kept looking a little crooked.

It looks like the metal part screwed to the door frame was set square and when it was torque down it angled upwards clockwise.
That's a good point. Some of these breaks could just be because the bracket is crooked and putting a little more stress on the plastic than the factory intended.

But mostly I'm subscribing to this thread because I wasn't even aware this part could be replaced with an aftermarket version that has more stops along its travel. That seems like a great idea because the front doors on this truck open so wide. I'd buy it if there was such a thing.

Stockranger

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Checked all of mine with no issues after 7500 miles. Funny enough I happened to look at an F250 I have and it has similar plastic parts and they are not broken after 12 years and 170k miles. So I’d say they last if they are not faulty or installed improperly.

OP
OP
treimche

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Accountant
That's a good point. Some of these breaks could just be because the bracket is crooked and putting a little more stress on the plastic than the factory intended.

But mostly I'm subscribing to this thread because I wasn't even aware this part could be replaced with an aftermarket version that has more stops along its travel. That seems like a great idea because the front doors on this truck open so wide. I'd buy it if there was such a thing.
I have a friend who is looking at designing just that!

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
New door check... doesn't look like its any different

door check.jpg

door stop.jpg

Last edited:

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Well, I found this thread for the same question. The doors do open really wide really fast! A quick google search and here is what I found for some DIY options?
Warrior Products
awesome seatbelt looking thingy (sold out)

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Found a video to the Laded Gear product linked above.

bobobama

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX2
Occupation
Retired (and loving it!)
For those who are making aftermarket replacements, please add more stops along the path of opening the door.
That seems like a great idea because the front doors on this truck open so wide. I'd buy it if there was such a thing.
The door check (aka detent) on these suck. The door will open halfway and stop, and then all the way to fully open before stopping again. Most vehicles have at least 3 stopping points before fully opened. I've already chipped the door edge on a concrete wall because the door went straight past the first stop right into the wall. Just another thing that needs improving on our Rangers.

But I love it. Just consider these little annoyances as "character".

Wolfman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx4
anyone have a way to quiet down the door check? my drivers door makes a pop when it closes (no other doors do it as loud)

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
The door check on my 2012 Focus had several really bad cracks all along it. I never did anything about it because they didn't seem to affect anything and I put 156k on it before I sold it. But I thought there must be a metal core because how can it be cracked so bad without falling apart.

OP
OP
treimche

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Accountant
anyone have a way to quiet down the door check? my drivers door makes a pop when it closes (no other doors do it as loud)
You could double check to make sure the bolts are all tight. I've seen many vehicles where they make popping noises when opening/closing a door and it was just the door check sliding back and forth on a loose bolt.

shb500777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C, 2023 Ranger Lariat / Tremor
I have noticed the driver's door "sagging" a little more on my Ranger lately (colder temperatures), upon opening the door. Went and checked, my door check is cracked pretty good. I am wondering if the door was never fully / properly aligned, and it lead to my door check cracking over time. I have a call into the dealer for a warranty repair.
Sponsored