First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
It is an issue unfortunately, D Fresh. Just maybe hasn’t “caught on” in your area. Hopefully, it never will.
That's my point.

Everybody THINKS it's an issue because their local news tells them it is. We've had stories here on all the local affiliates talking about how roving bands of methhead junkie super gypsies are stealing everybody's cats. Just like everybody around the nation has.

But in reality, when you look at the numbers, it's not that big of a deal.

In 2020 the nationwide average was 1203 stolen per month, that's less than 15,000 per year. 2020 nationwide murder numbers aren't out yet but are expected to top 20,000.

So in a year when both crimes increased drastically you are still over 25% more likely to be murdered in this country than have your cat stolen.

Not saying it doesn't happen. But it's pretty unlikely.
Sponsored

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
That's my point.

Everybody THINKS it's an issue because their local news tells them it is. We've had stories here on all the local affiliates talking about how roving bands of methhead junkie super gypsies are stealing everybody's cats. Just like everybody around the nation has.

In 2020 the nationwide average was 1203 stolen per month, that's less than 15,000 per year. 2020 nationwide murder numbers aren't out yet but are expected to top 20,000.

So in a year when both crimes increased drastically you are still over 25% more likely to be murdered in this country than have your cat stolen.

I admit, I don’t know the actual numbers. But, I‘m about to go outside and see if my perimeter alarm works. :crackup::turkey:

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
It’s started to happen up here in Canadistan as well, my take on it is I would rather not add to the truck to secure in case they break more shit just to get it off... I have insurance, a camera outside and the neighbour who is a cop has a camera as well.. also it’s a free cat delete, straight pipe it is!

VegasP11

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
That's my point.

So using your logic, getting murdered isn't a concern at all either. I guess there is no need to lock your house at night or own a gun either.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

In the city of Troy (Detroit northern suburb) where our daughter lives in our Condo, I get a weekly crime sheet from the Troy police. There are always a few catalytic converter thefts each week reported by the police. Battery powered sawzall seems to be the tool of choice.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
So using your logic, getting murdered isn't a concern at all either. I guess there is no need to lock your house at night or own a gun either.
You failed to understand this, and my previous posts.

Is it a concern? No. I'm not worried about being murdered. If you are you should re-examine your lifestyle.

Does that mean one shouldn't take common sense steps like locking the doors, or having the tools, both mental and physical, to defend themselves? Of course not.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I admit, I don’t know the actual numbers. But, I‘m about to go outside and see if my perimeter alarm works. :crackup::turkey:
For anyone who’s curious...no. It doesn’t work. If I even have one. When husband gets home gonna get him to dig out my window sticker to see. And yes, I did go by dreaded owner’s manual and also followed @Trigganometry’s method. :)

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
As opposed to the good old days, when St Louis hosted mob wars and race riots?
I remember back when I was a kid, Mom and Dad talked the town fathers into hiring Wyatt Earp to clean up the town. I knew when he left a few years later that the town was going to go right into the shitter.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Hi Folks,

In the city of Troy (Detroit northern suburb) where our daughter lives in our Condo, I get a weekly crime sheet from the Troy police. There are always a few catalytic converter thefts each week reported by the police. Battery powered sawzall seems to be the tool of choice.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
That is tool of choice here too Phil from what I understand which is why the rebar really slows them down.

Jim C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger
That is tool of choice here too Phil from what I understand which is why the rebar really slows them down.
how ironic there was on the news today on just this
they had several "caught" on video
the PROS had a few deterrents, they painted them yellow(dont know why), they engraved the vin on the CAT (again why) & they in essence put a skid plate over the cat.
seems like that would at least slow the "wonderful people"

OP
OP

jthompson48

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Military
For anyone who’s curious...no. It doesn’t work. If I even have one. When husband gets home gonna get him to dig out my window sticker to see. And yes, I did go by dreaded owner’s manual and also followed @Trigganometry’s method. :)
Mine definitely says I have the perimeter alarm but I think you need the "plus" version for it to trigger with motion.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
And I'll admit that I didn't even know I had one. I'll be checking mine out too.
Yep.

Storm is rolling in. Had to move the truck inside out of fear of hail.

Tried it when I moved her in. No alarm. Shook the hell out the whole truck. Maybe I don't have it, but pretty sure I should. Loaded Lariat w/tech package, remote start from FOB. Ohh well.
Sponsored