First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Why not just sit on the tailgate then turn and get into the bed or put your hands on the tailgate and boost yourself up on your knees? That's how I use to do it when I rode MX and that's with an F 150.

I'm in/out of the bed of my truck probably 40 times or more during an average week for work and that's how I get in there. I use to use the rear tire too on my F 150 but then you take the chance of scratching the sides especially if the trucks dirty.
Sponsored

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
They seemed like convenient steps but the adjacent body panel was no match for riding boots.

touch up, color match bed liner, stickers... pondering options.

B1137CBB-9E36-463B-8A5E-BD9583D132FF.jpeg
DB6D229A-0387-49C2-990E-247FCE9DC325.jpeg
Like my know-it-all neighbor always says,
..."It will buff out."

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I have a slightly different solution to the problem, which is, when the gate is down, I climb up into the bed using the rear tire to get up and over the side. Bottom of foot goes on top of the tire tread, no harm, no foul!
Actually I did this the other day and it worked great - with a modification. My truck has factory running boards. So first step was near the back of the running boards and 2nd step was top of the rear tire. That way and old man like me doesn't have to lift a knee so high. :D

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
The paint is absolute Shite... It's literally coming off in several "normal wear" areas such as bed corners and door rockers. I had a 1995 Ranger that I drove through the woods on a regular basis on motorcycle trails that had less paint damage than my 1 year old truck that sees 99.9% on road use.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I reckon long term they do more damage in the form of new cars after the "old" one rusts away and flakes of "friendly" paint in ever ditch in the country.

Yes, generally the type of paint which is "friendly" is not as durable as good old hydrocarbon based paints. I just wish they had put some extra protection on the parts down low so they don't get obliterated in 10K miles.

Deleted member 1634

I reckon long term they do more damage in the form of new cars after the "old" one rusts away and flakes of "friendly" paint in ever ditch in the country.

Yes, generally the type of paint which is "friendly" is not as durable as good old hydrocarbon based paints. I just wish they had put some extra protection on the parts down low so they don't get obliterated in 10K miles.
That's why I did this this weekend. Covered the rocker panels in bedliner. I had already been seeing chips and scratches in the areas I covered from rocks. And with the salt we have on the roads, it'll only take a couple winters for those spots to be running wild with rust. I've seen it happen too many times before. Color doesn't match as well as I had hoped, but it's good enough for me. Also, looks like an amateur job if you really get up close and inspect it, but turns out I'm an amateur so it's to be expected. And for only $64 and a couple hours of my time, if it make the truck last a couple more years than it normally would, I'm happy.

As far as OPs issue, could do something similar and just put some patches of bedliner in heavy contact areas.

IMG_20200530_131334145_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200530_160415912_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200530_160404283_HDR.jpg

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
That's why I did this this weekend. Covered the rocker panels in bedliner. I had already been seeing chips and scratches in the areas I covered from rocks. And with the salt we have on the roads, it'll only take a couple winters for those spots to be running wild with rust. I've seen it happen too many times before. Color doesn't match as well as I had hoped, but it's good enough for me. Also, looks like an amateur job if you really get up close and inspect it, but turns out I'm an amateur so it's to be expected. And for only $64 and a couple hours of my time, if it make the truck last a couple more years than it normally would, I'm happy.

As far as OPs issue, could do something similar and just put some patches of bedliner in heavy contact areas.

IMG_20200530_131334145_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200530_160415912_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200530_160404283_HDR.jpg
That looks really good - wondering if you taped off the door sills? Or how much made its way onto the sills?

And what product did you use?

I've been thinking about doing something like this - partly to hide the pinch weld.

Deleted member 1634

That looks really good - wondering if you taped off the door sills? Or how much made its way onto the sills?

And what product did you use?

I've been thinking about doing something like this - partly to hide the pinch weld.
I didn't spray apply it, but rather used a brush so I had much better control over where it was applied. I did do the bottom of the doors and inside the door openings a bit. Didn't do the door sills since my main point was rock chip protection, and rocks won't be flying in there. Though I do have a good portion of the can left, so I might cover those areas as well someday if I think it needs it.

I went with Durabak. Did some research and they seemed to be the best for options and DIY application. You can choose from multiple colors, either smooth or rough texture, and different application methods. I went with Dark Gray smooth, hoping it would match the magnetic sport trim. Like I said, it kind of does in the right light. Black was my other thought, but I felt it would stand out too much in my opinion. And I didn't want the rough standard bedliner texture, since I felt that would stand out too much as well. I wanted it to almost look like a trim piece that was meant to be there.

From afar, it definitely hides the rocker panels and pinch welds in darker shadows.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't spray apply it, but rather used a brush so I had much better control over where it was applied. I did do the bottom of the doors and inside the door openings a bit. Didn't do the door sills since my main point was rock chip protection, and rocks won't be flying in there. Though I do have a good portion of the can left, so I might cover those areas as well someday if I think it needs it.

I went with Durabak. Did some research and they seemed to be the best for options and DIY application. You can choose from multiple colors, either smooth or rough texture, and different application methods. I went with Dark Gray smooth, hoping it would match the magnetic sport trim. Like I said, it kind of does in the right light. Black was my other thought, but I felt it would stand out too much in my opinion. And I didn't want the rough standard bedliner texture, since I felt that would stand out too much as well. I wanted it to almost look like a trim piece that was meant to be there.

From afar, it definitely hides the rocker panels and pinch welds in darker shadows.
How did you prep the paint? Did you sand it at all or just use some sort of cleaner to clean the paint before putting on the liner material.

Thanks for sending along the details of what you used.

Deleted member 1634

How did you prep the paint? Did you sand it at all or just use some sort of cleaner to clean the paint before putting on the liner material.

Thanks for sending along the details of what you used.
I washed it good first. Then I sanded the paint a bit to scuff it up (hard to tell in small form, but the first picture with the tape in my original post shows it all scuffed up before applying the coating) and then cleaned it with the cleaner they recommended to properly prep the surface. It was a bit scary going in to sand my brand new truck at first, and when I first touched the sandpaper to the paint I knew there was no turning back. haha It actually wasn't that hard to scuff it up, which may be another indicator of paint quality/thickness/type. All-in-all it was actually a pretty simple and short worked job.

OP
OP
rooster

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase

I like it, it looks good.

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
1591053734904.png
Here is a picture of the tire step looks like it folds up flat

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
So I guess the answer is cover the entire truck in Duraliner. I have no chips down low. They are up on the doors and fenders.
From stones ? Or door dings ?
Sponsored