Paint for Black Front Bumper

BeachPilot100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
Occupation
Engineer
I did a dumb thing and now have to pull a dent and touch up some scratches on my front bumper, the metal piece not the lower plastic. What type of black paint would give the best match? Is there a specific paint code for it?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I did a dumb thing and now have to pull a dent and touch up some scratches on my front bumper, the metal piece not the lower plastic. What type of black paint would give the best match? Is there a specific paint code for it?
Hi BP100,

I would call the dealer and see if they can provide you with a paint code. I picture might help. I think there are others that needed to touch up a bumper and you might use the search function.

Good luck!
Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

BDawgSTX

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
You find the paint code please share. I too have 21 STX, just came off a trip through WV on the turnpike, they were working on the roads around Beckley and picked up a good scuff on the front bumper (black metal section) it would have busted if plastic.

BDawgSTX

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
So I contacted two dealers and they used my VIN, could not find a code, but did get my build sheet. So they advised to try universal flat or satin touch up. I’m going to auto parts store in the morning and give it a shot. I’ll let you know how it works out.

stangertwc

First Name
Thad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX | 2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra
Vehicle Showcase
I had someone bump into me the other day on my 19 Ranger STX and what I did was took some Testors model paint flat gunmetal gray and it was pretty dang close - I then also had some gloss black so I did like approximately a 2-1 ratio and it turned out pretty exact - I’m pretty OCD with my truck so it passed my craziness test ? - these are what I used
947BB111-E3AB-4C02-953E-FED01C33822E.jpeg

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I had someone bump into me the other day on my 19 Ranger STX and what I did was took some Testors model paint flat gunmetal gray and it was pretty dang close - I then also had some gloss black so I did like approximately a 2-1 ratio and it turned out pretty exact - I’m pretty OCD with my truck so it passed my craziness test ? - these are what I used
947BB111-E3AB-4C02-953E-FED01C33822E.jpeg
Man, you brought me back 50yrs to the basement building models...

fob63

First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
retired
I Still use it on touchup of fishing lures, it's enamel slow drying but effective.
Yes, model kits brought me back too.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I'm not sure this applies to the same area that you are referring to (this relates to the rear bumper not the front bumper in your case) but I got a scratch on the left rear rubber part of the bumper and the metal panel below that when the garage door clipped it. I was going to touch it up but the dealer did not have a code for that particular area and couldn't find any similar touch up paint to match. Was fortunate to find a body shop to repair and re-paint the panel for 100.00! They matched the color perfectly with the panel on the right side. Left the rubber bumper unrepaired because it is not that noticiable. Hope this helps.:)

Before 1.jpg

After 1.jpg

After 3.jpg

Last edited:

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Me too! Well, maybe not 50 years. I would carve out the wheel wells, take bigger tires from another model, and put them on the car I was putting together.

Come to think of it, I’m still doing that. Some things never change.

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I'm not sure this applies to the same area that you are referring to (this relates to the rear bumper not the front bumper in your case) but I got a scratch on the left rear rubber part of the bumper and the metal panel below that when the garage door clipped it. I was going to touch it up but the dealer did not have a code for that particular area and couldn't find any similar touch up paint to match. Was fortunate to find a body shop to repair and re-paint the panel for 100.00! They matched the color perfectly with the panel on the right side. Left the rubber bumper unrepaired because it is not that noticiable. Hope this helps.:)

Before 1.jpg

After 1.jpg

After 3.jpg
They couldn't find the paint code for Magnetic?

I'd find a new dealership.

It's J7 BTW.
Sponsored